Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Going digital Axe Fx/Kemper

Originally posted by Kiwiguitar View Post
    I disagree - the term "digital" is way too general and there's no ear fatigue relative to a valve amp. What were you using and how did you try monitoring it?

Again - if you're lumping in the Kemper with "digital" you're off track.
    I've owned Kemper, Zoom, Digitech, Johnson...and nearly every other digital preamp that has ever been introduced to market. Some can hear the difference, others cannot. It all depends on individual audible range. For people such as myself, digitally produced distortion can be a nightmare. The best way I can describe it, is think of the sound of a person singling through a fan...though not as obvious. I don't have a problem using digital effects, only digital crunch/distortion tones. The Kemper is cool for people who like to experiment. I may get another, some day. Since the Kemper is reproducing an analog sourced signal, I don't experience the same negative effects as say a Zoom unit.

btw... The Cornford RK100 clips on the Kemper Rig Exchange were produced and submitted by me. I think they came out quite good! I made some slight modifications to V1a and V2b gain stages prior to production. The 2.2uf cathode bypass caps are not conducive to humbucker play; with that type of circuit. The amp designer "tuned" his creations around the sound of single coil pickups. i.e. Fender Stratocaster.
    Last edited by 67Mopar; 04-29-2018, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 67Mopar View Post
      I've owned Kemper, Zoom, Digitech, Johnson...and nearly every other digital preamp that has ever been introduced to market. Some can hear the difference, others cannot. It all depends on individual audible range. For people such as myself, digitally produced distortion can be a nightmare. The best way I can describe it, is think of the sound of a person singling through a fan...though not as obvious. I don't have a problem using digital effects, only digital crunch/distortion tones. The Kemper is cool for people who like to experiment. I may get another, some day. Since the Kemper is reproducing an analog sourced signal, I don't experience the same negative effects as say a Zoom unit.

btw... The Cornford RK100 clips on the Kemper Rig Exchange were produced and submitted by me. I think they came out quite good! I made some slight modifications to V1a and V2b gain stages prior to production. The 2.2uf cathode bypass caps are not conducive to humbucker play; with that type of circuit. The amp designer "tuned" his creations around the sound of single coil pickups. i.e. Fender Stratocaster.
      Thanks for that! I'll download your profiles and have a go. I've got picky ears as well. I use about 70% cleanish tones and at stage levels I certainly can't tell the difference except for the beaming effect of the tube amp. At lower volumes they don't sound as much like a tube amp, but neither do tube amps at low volume.

Comment

FWIW I had tried many digital offerings before this and they were all harsh and not quite right as you mentioned.

Comment

Going digital Axe Fx/Kemper

Although I’ve never played a Kemper, I have had quite a few digital multi Fx units in the past.
          I feel similar to 67mopar’s description. I have absolutely no issues with digital effects like delay, modulations etc. but the OD and distortion sounds have never really been up to par (IMO).
          I will say that what I have heard in clips of the Kemper and similar units sound good, I always wonder if they have the same feel as a tube amp. Which I think is an important factor as well.

Comment

Blows me away, when I think about the fact that there are literally millions who have never heard a true analog recording. One of the most revealing flaws in digital, can be heard by comparing Ozzy Osbourne "Diary of a Madman" on CD vs original vinyl or tape. Heart "Little Queen" is another. Pink Floyd's DSOTM is must-have on original vinyl! To be clear... original vinyl = Analog source/Analog mix/Analog master. i.e. AAA. Remastered vinyl = Analog source/Analog mix/Digital master. i.e. AAD. I remember my first experience listening to Master of Puppets on vinyl. It wasn't just the fact that it had no bottom-end, it was an awful recording in its entirety. The album was marked as ADD. i.e. Analog source/Digital mix/Digital master. Digital has come a long way, but I have yet to hear a digital recording that can hold a candle to wax.

In defense of some of the pre Kemper era preamps, the Johnson gear still sounds good. The J Station was a great little piece of kit! If you want affordable, on-the-fly JCM800 crunch tones, the J Station is definitely it. Still holds up well today.
            Last edited by 67Mopar; 04-30-2018, 06:02 PM.

Comment

not only does my FRFR amplified PA help with clean sounds, it also helps with the high gain sounds. Possibly by adding some BBBBASSSS giving it a bit of depth.
              Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
              http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

I feel sorry for people who are so insistent that tube amps sound completely different than top of the line modeling amps. I think most of it is the learning curve (the versatility means you get more bad sounds with the greater range of good sounds) but some people are just in denial.

It'd be interesting to analyze the forum and see how many posters mention wanting to get their tone at practice volumes, having their tubes die, noise issues, etc.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

Everything has its use, and what you create is more valuable than what you use to create it.

I have a friend who is a self admitted tone snob, and after “poo pooing” modelers, he tried an Axe FX. Now he is a Fractal artist and loves to show up at a gig with nothing more than his guitars and his AFX. Straight into FOH and done.

He still has and uses his tubes amps, but loves what he can do with his modeler.
                  -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                  “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                    Everything has its use, and what you create is more valuable than what you use to create it.

I have a friend who is a self admitted tone snob, and after “poo pooing” modelers, he tried an Axe FX. Now he is a Fractal artist and loves to show up at a gig with nothing more than his guitars and his AFX. Straight into FOH and done.

He still has and uses his tubes amps, but loves what he can do with his modeler.
                    Yeah, I don't know why there has to be one or the other.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I’m a tube snob who spends most of his time playing low volume with a Peavey modeling amp. If I am fortunate enough to be able to crank my Super, there’s no way I’d rather have a modeler. For the other 99% of the time, the modeler is awesome.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Kemper as advertised and reported by many is the ultimate tone reproducer. It can reportedly capture any existing tone and reproduce with a high degree of accuracy. Tweaks can be made to refine the tone even more precisely.
                        Considering this how important is the traditional rig anymore? If I am reading this right a player could by a playable Squire, plug into the tone ready Kemper and send the output to any SS amp with decent speakers. The results would be a perfect sound reproduction of any previous artist or the players choice of a unique sound.
                        No more investment required in expensive guitars, pickups, pedals, amps...those things are now just collector items, obsolete.

Comment

This:

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                          what you create is more valuable than what you use to create it
                          And This:

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Yeah, I don't know why there has to be one or the other.

Comment

"Digital"/Modeling vs Tube is getting to be an outplayed argument.

Anyone who claims modern profiling/modeling tech doesn't have its virtues hasn't picked up a new album in 15+ years. Likewise, anyone who claims tubes don't have their place are probably guilty of the same. Guys are making great music on both sides and, quite often, with a little bit of both.

You'll find far more players satisfied with the AxeFx and Kemper than dissatisfied. Countless "tube snobs" have made the conversion. There are many reasons why that may be, but sound is definitely a factor in every case. Likewise, there's still something unique and arguably romantic about the glow and character of analog tubery that no one should be allowed to dismiss. Sometimes there are subtleties that don't come across in a recording, but somehow make a difference for the individual player.

Use what works for you. If one-in-a-million listeners are able to tell that a guitarist is using a Kemper or AxeFx, so what? The other 999,999 listeners are there for the music

Comment

The only thing I like about tube amps over modellers is the feeling and romanticism of watching the tubes warm up and getting the warm fuzzy feeling inside...
                              Guitars:
                              Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
                              PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
                              ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
                              Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
                              Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
                              Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
                              Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
                              Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
                              Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

Acoustic guitars? Checked the AGF, Kemper has full line of exacting models. Granddad's Martin D28 can go in the curio cabinet too.

Comment

Working...
                                X