1989 Marshall JTM Tremolo 50 Bluesbreaker 2x12 Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Marshall JTM Tremolo 50 Bluesbreaker 2x12 Combo

Ran across this locally and played it enough to be impressed and pick it up yesterday. Reminds me (as it should) very much of the 1978 Marshal JMP 50W 2x12 Greenback Equipped Combo I had for about 13 years. Tolex tears and grill cloth has some holes from the speaker mounting screws poking through; cosmetic wear from gigging but it sounds amazing!

Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 04-02-2017, 06:39 PM.
    MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
    1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
    1988 Kramer Nightswan
    1989 Charvel Sambora
    2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
    Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
    Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Re: 1989 Marshall JTM Tremolo 50 Bluesbreaker 2x12 Combo

sweet man. never played a ri but i know a guy who had an old one and it was great!

Comment

Thanks. Not a lot of info on these other than a handful that have sold in eBay and Reverb. Going to look into it a bit more this weekend as to confirm type of tubes, etc. as I'm seeing a few spatterings of info - some indicating hand-wired, some indicating EL34 tubes, etc.

Here's what I think applies to it: Serial #V00733, Made in England, 50 watts of EL34 tube power through two 12" Celestion Greenback Ipswich Speakers, top mount controls, heavy duty caster wheels, foot-switchable tremolo.
      Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 03-30-2017, 11:20 AM.
      MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
      1988 Kramer Nightswan
      1989 Charvel Sambora
      2016 Warmoth Hellacaster

sigpic

Comment

i assume you mean el34

Comment

Ha! Yes Sir.
          MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
          1988 Kramer Nightswan
          1989 Charvel Sambora
          2016 Warmoth Hellacaster

sigpic

Comment

If it is a (year) 1989 reissue, then it shipped with 5881 power tubes with output at clipping of 30 watts. 5881s are used in place of KT-66s on the reissues because there were no current production supply for KT-66s in 1989. The originals in the 60s had KT-66s. Nevertheless, running EL34s in them is pretty common and doesn't hurt anything. (Marshalls almost always have pins 1 and 8 externally jumpered and the stock power transformers handle the heater current ok) There is an impedance mismatch, but there was on the original KT-66 amps as well. I like JTM45s and BBs with EL34s myself.

The amp should have a PCB with chassis mounted components and flying leads. However, installing turret boards in place of the PCB as well as after market transformers was/is a popular mod.
            Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 03-30-2017, 01:23 PM.

Comment

i thought the later originals had el34s? didnt marshall start switching over in '66 and by '67 everything was el34 or am i off on that

Comment

Tried getting some pics...no idea what I'm looking at...am I correct in this being a 1962 Model?

Drake Transformer 11/89

Sovtek Russia

Mesa 6L6

LCR UK

Only finding a few of these out there...hand-wired?
                Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 03-30-2017, 09:35 PM.
                MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                1988 Kramer Nightswan
                1989 Charvel Sambora
                2016 Warmoth Hellacaster

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  i thought the later originals had el34s? didnt marshall start switching over in '66 and by '67 everything was el34 or am i off on that
                  Your correct. During 1967 they were transitioning from KT-66 to EL34 tubes. The JTM45 amps with EL34s are now called JTM50s. Once the tube rectifier was dropped they evolved into the 50 watt plexi. JTM50s had an output transformer which matched the impedance of EL34s. The re-issue is based (mostly) on the KT-66 versions.

Comment

Originally posted by muttznmongrelz View Post
                    Tried getting some pics...no idea what I'm looking at...am I correct in this being a 1962 Model?

Drake Transformer 11/89

Sovtek Russia

Mesa

LCR UK

https://reverb.com/item/4057331-mars..._z8P8HAQ&pla=1
                    The Mesa STR440 tubes are 6L6GC tubes which are of the 6L6/5881 type. The KT-66 is also a 6L6 type. The output transformer part number 784 339 I don't know. The 50 watt OPT part number for EL34s is 784 139, and the KT-66 opt part number for JTM45s is normally 784 103. This might be for 5881s?

That is the original filter cap for the reissue.

It might be good to replace the output tubes with kT-66 and re-bias, but if it sounds great maybe don't worry about it.

On edit: the Sovtek is the GZ34 rectifier tube. The corner position is the rectifier tube position.

On further edit: KT-66s might not fit in the 89 cabinet?
                    Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 03-30-2017, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Yes, but with a printed circuit board instead of a turret board, stock.

Comment

Appreciate the insight and info LPB. I was fortunate enough to run across the gentleman who owned it for most of it's life and he indicated that it could probably stand a re-tube and re-bias this point and I've run across a good amp shop locally so I'll probably take it in for a once over.

I am digging the sound as I got an opportunity to plug in, turn it up and play it for a while last night. First impressions were that it is no where near as loud as the old '78 JMP 2104 Greenback Equipped 2x12 Combo that I owned for 13 years but a very pleasant tone and is a touch sensitive/dynamically responsive amp.
                        Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 03-31-2017, 10:42 AM.
                        MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                        1988 Kramer Nightswan
                        1989 Charvel Sambora
                        2016 Warmoth Hellacaster

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                          On further edit: KT-66s might not fit in the 89 cabinet?
                          The reissue cabs aren't as deep as the original amps, so it's entirely possible that KT-66s won't fit.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                            The reissue cabs aren't as deep as the original amps, so it's entirely possible that KT-66s won't fit.
                            I simply don't understand this. When it's a capacitor that hasn't been made in 30 years or speaker magnets that aren't available I'd get it... but dimensions on a simple cab? Why not just get it right?
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

That looks like a really nice, fun amp. I could really use an amp like that for local gigs and playing out. Nice one.

Comment

Working...
                              X