Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1989 Marshall JTM Tremolo 50 Bluesbreaker 2x12 Combo

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    I simply don't understand this. When it's a capacitor that hasn't been made in 30 years or speaker magnets that aren't available I'd get it... but dimensions on a simple cab? Why not just get it right?
    You answered your own question.

When Marshall made this amp, Celestion had long stopped making Alnico speakers. Cold War still on and Alnico very expensive. Thus the birth of the V30 in 1985/6. So they didn't build the cabs as deep, because it was unnecessary with modern ceramic magnet speakers. Do not forget also that the Vintage craze was in it's infancy and companies had long forgotten how they did things 25 years prior and consumers were not very educated/didn't care.

For that matter- late 1980s there was a serious shortage of tubes and many thought they would go the way of the do-do.
    Last edited by JeffB; 04-01-2017, 10:38 AM.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

That's sweet!
      My website - https://stevenamckay.com/

My gear - Gibson- Les Pauls - 2 x Classic (sunburst and ebony), Slash Standard, DC Special Tribute, SG Standard, Explorer, Flying V. 1980 Hamer Sunburst.
      MIM Fender Strat. MIK Squier Tele. Jackson JDR94, Kelly, Concert Bass. Fender acoustic. Mandolin.
      Spark Mini, Marshall DSL20HR, 1912.

Comment

Well I'm loving it! Plugged it in, cranked it and played it and I'm thinking it is louder than I'm giving it credit for as I just moved into a house and wasn't taking the larger room and different acoustics into account. Tone is beautiful; reminded me why I held onto the JMP 2104 Combo for 13 years. Would still have it if I hadn't gone through a nasty divorce.
        Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 04-01-2017, 12:31 PM.
        MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
        1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
        1988 Kramer Nightswan
        1989 Charvel Sambora
        2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
        Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
        Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Good to hear that your pleased with the amp and how it sounds. Great amps.

I have I have heard of people installing KT-66s in the 90s re-issues by shimming the back panel so that it sits above flush gaining a bit of space away from the speaker baffle opposite.

Comment

JTM
            yes
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Ha! Agreed!
              MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
              1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
              1988 Kramer Nightswan
              1989 Charvel Sambora
              2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
              Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
              Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve