Seymour Duncan 84-40 Troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan 84-40 Troubleshooting

I decided to get some deoxit to clean some scratchy pots on my Seymour Duncan 84-40 and while I had the chassis out I figured it would be a good idea to check the components. Taking a look around the amp had be obviously modified by the previous owner (he even wrote on the chassis the date that he modded it). He didn't do a very clean job at wiring it. In addition to that I noticed that one of the power tube sockets (EL84) had carbon scoring from a short. Comparing it to the other power tube sockets that connection was the anode. The lead where it should be attached is completely missing, so I obviously need to replace that. To preface I have experience working on PCB and I know how to discharge caps and whatnot. I am confidant that I can fix the amp.

1. Does anyone know what could possibly have caused the short so I can more easily isolate and fix the problem?
    2. Another issue I found was the previous owner replaced the reverb tank with one from a Gibson Scout, the tank works fine however, on ch1 to get a decent amount of reverb I basically have to have it on 10, but on channel 2 its extremely saturated. Looking at the schematic for the amp I don't see why that would happen, as the reverb tank is attached at 1 point using RCA jacks.

I am already planning on replacing all the sockets, caps, and a couple pots that seem to be bad and cant be fixed by cleaning.

I will take pictures and post them later today.
    sigpic
    Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
    Dunlop Crybaby
    MXR Custom Comp
    GFS Twin Overdrive
    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
    Blackstar HT-DISTX
    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)
Working...
X