Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HELP! Important rig decisions!

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
    If I'm following you correctly, what you'd want to do is run the micro terror into side-a and the other into side-b, with a cab for each channel, then you'd want to split your guitar with an A/B going to either side at a time, or an A/B/Y box to use them both at once, or use one side for lead...there's a lot of options, none of which I fully explored, so I'm only trying to help give you ideas here, so please research all of this fully, especially the ohms and mono/stereo....
    I run 16ohm mono...

If you're gonna run multiple amps, A/B is a waste of potential. Go for a wet/dry rig if you have two, or W/D/W if you have three.

Comment

If I'm following you correctly, what you'd want to do is run the micro terror into side-a and the other into side-b, with a cab for each channel, then you'd want to split your guitar with an A/B going to either side at a time, or an A/B/Y box to use them both at once, or use one side for lead...there's a lot of options, none of which I fully explored, so I'm only trying to help give you ideas here, so please research all of this fully, especially the ohms and mono/stereo....
      I run 16ohm mono...

If you're gonna run multiple amps, A/B is a waste of potential. Go for a wet/dry rig if you have two, or W/D/W if you have three.

Comment

I would do that if it were my goal, because it would give you a nice layered sound.
        87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

I would do that if it were my goal, because it would give you a nice layered sound.
          It's not so much a matter of layering. The dry amp is raw unadulterated tone... the whole point is to not have it compromised by all of your FX units. Then the stereo FX are for bigger, more lush sounding time-based FX then you can get in mono.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Dystrust, that sounds reasonable. I like the 9100, but I also have a solid state 9040, and to be honest I find that the difference in sound isn't big enough to warrant the extra weights and risks associated with the power amp. I haven't really thought in terms of there being much to improve (the 9100 definitely has the EL34 sound), but it might be that I should give a different power amp a try at some point, then, to see if there is more to be gained.

Comment

Cabs and speakers - especially speakers - matter
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Indeed. I love the regular Greenbacks, except for the power rating: it is very hard to make a smaller rig based around them. Unfortunately the more powerful Celestions are also darker voiced. The Lynchback seems to come the closest, but in the clips I've heard it seems to be a little lacking in just the range I am looking for compared to the "original".

In my case I would think that the choice of speaker has more to say for the sound than whether I go for a tube or solid state power amp, since the tone is already so preamp driven.

Comment

That was a good explanation of your experience with it and I also liked reading about your Mesa's, particularly the 2:90 because I want one so I can rest my 9200 because I've had it for a long time and its just something that I like and I want to preserve it as much as I can because I plan to keep it for nostalgia's sake.
                  I'm kinda leaning toward a Triaxis/2:90 or a Dual Racktifier/2:90 rig? I have no experience of any sort with the preamps, but my friend is running a SansAmp thru a 2:90 so I can at least hear that, but its not the same as my rig, so its pointless to scrutinize it further because I'd literally be imagining schit.
                  TriAxis is amazing when combined with the 2:90. If I was still running rack gear, that would be my rig.

A/B setup works just fine if you don't run a lot of time based effects. Wet/dry does absolutely nothing for me, but running an A/B/Y has helped my tone immeasurably at times.

Creambacks are a good compromise between power handling and greenback tone. I've been running them for a while now and love them.
                  Last edited by chadd; 06-01-2017, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                    TriAxis is amazing when combined with the 2:90. If I was still running rack gear, that would be my rig.

A/B setup works just fine if you don't run a lot of time based effects. Wet/dry does absolutely nothing for me, but running an A/B/Y has helped my tone immeasurably at times.

Creambacks are a good compromise between power handling and greenback tone. I've been running them for a while now and love them.
                    Never tried Creambacks, but the Eminence Private Jack is a great higher-wattage "greenback".
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Unfortunately its also a whole lot louder, which kind of ruins half the point of downsizing…

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                        Unfortunately its also a whole lot louder, which kind of ruins half the point of downsizing…
                        Not necessarily. You typically don't want power amp distortion when running a rack system, so why not just turn the power amp down a notch or two to balance things?

When I had the Simul 395 I never ran it above about 3 on the volume because I didn't need to. It was plenty loud at that point, but no where close to clipping. Because of the preamp-oriented nature of a rack system's sound, the overall tone also didn't change much between 0.25 on the volume and the 2-3 I usually ran it at.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Well, for the time being I have gone solid state, as I wrote a few posts ago. As you say, power amp distortion isn't a big part of the sound, and I find that for my purposes there isn't enough difference between a tube power amp and an eq'd solid state to warrant the extra weight and maintenance. Judging from this thread I might have to try out other power amps, but that is irrelevant here.

As it is, I get what I like from a combination of pre-amp distortion and driving the speakers. If I want to do the latter I have to keep output level in mind. Beyond this I am sure the Eminences are a good option.

Comment

If you're worried about the flubbiness try and OD pedal in front of the amp. I use a TS9 in front of my 6505+ and it tightens it up a lot.
                            Mesa's are pretty known to be pretty modern and tight so maybe its the other factors like guitar pickups and stuff.

Comment

Working...
                            X