NAD - Mesa Recto-Verb 25 combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD - Mesa Recto-Verb 25 combo

Picked this up used yesterday for a steal of a price. It look just like new and so far sounds amazing. I can't wait until I get a chance to crank it up some.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Recto-verb-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	5844493

Click image for larger version

Name:	Recto-verb-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	5844494

Re: NAD - Mesa Recto-Verb 25 combo

So cute!
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Congrats! How is the Fillmore speaker?

Comment

NAD - Mesa Recto-Verb 25 combo

I have a love-hate relationship with mine.

The love comes from everything about the amp - tone, size, portability, etc. The Fillmore speaker is very, very good.

The hate comes from it being a Mesa and prone to the need to "dial it in" - the tone controls here are very finicky (and I often seem to be in a "close but not quite there" state - when it lands right, it's AMAZING).

The second area of hate is the chrome dome knobs. They're gorgeous, for sure, but in use - particularly on dark stages, but really anywhere - it's impossible to see the settings. I switched mine out for a set of Fender plan white knobs and it's MUCH better.

Having said all that, my ROV25 is getting closer and closer to an old friend. Did you get the manual with yours? If not, download it, and read it several times over - there are some specific details of the interplay of gain-treble-tone-power-presence that are essential for dialing in the tones. In particular, the Mid control on the clean/pushed channel is one to get to know very, very well.

Congrats, though - you've got yourself a keeper!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
          I have a love-hate relationship with mine.

The love comes from everything about the amp - tone, size, portability, etc. The Fillmore speaker is very, very good.

The hate comes from it being a Mesa and prone to the need to "dial it in" - the tone controls here are very finicky (and I often seem to be in a "close but not quite there" state - when it lands right, it's AMAZING).

The second area of hate is the chrome dome knobs. They're gorgeous, for sure, but in use - particularly on dark stages, but really anywhere - it's impossible to see the settings. I switched mine out for a set of Fender plan white knobs and it's MUCH better.

Having said all that, my ROV25 is getting closer and closer to an old friend. Did you get the manual with yours? If not, download it, and read it several times over - there are some specific details of the interplay of gain-treble-tone-power-presence that are essential for dialing in the tones. In particular, the Mid control on the clean/pushed channel is one to get to know very, very well.

Congrats, though - you've got yourself a keeper!

I always thought the same about the knobs, then I realized that the numbers don't matter. If it needs more or less of something, I just turn the knob until it sounds right

Comment

I haven't had much of a chance to play it, but what I've heard so far I like. I can't wait to get a chance to turn it up and let it breathe some and roar.

I love the look of the chrome knobs, but they'll probably have to get changed out because it's hard to see.

I didn't get the manual, but I have checked it out online and see how things interact. Should be fun to test it all out.

Comment

EL 84's?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, EL84'S

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                  EL 84's?

Yup. But the way they've tuned the preamp and tone stack, it can be hard to believe there's not El34s or 6L6s in there.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                    I always thought the same about the knobs, then I realized that the numbers don't matter. If it needs more or less of something, I just turn the knob until it sounds right
                    The numbers matter on a dark stage when something's not right and you've only got a second to glance over at the amp. I trust my ears always, but in the heat of battle visual cues are useful too!

Comment

Originally posted by T-Bone-BBQ View Post
                      I haven't had much of a chance to play it, but what I've heard so far I like. I can't wait to get a chance to turn it up and let it breathe some and roar.

I love the look of the chrome knobs, but they'll probably have to get changed out because it's hard to see.

I didn't get the manual, but I have checked it out online and see how things interact. Should be fun to test it all out.
                      Despite my reservations, they are fantastic amps - and I haven't sold mine, which is as good a recommendation as I can give - ENJOY!!!

Comment

Yup. But the way they've tuned the preamp and tone stack, it can be hard to believe there's not El34s or 6L6s in there.

I've heard good and bad about EL84's. I suppose that it depends upon the amp. Duh.
                        Been seeing an Engel for sale local. EL84'S. Hmmm...

Comment

I've only been able to play it in lower volumes, but I can already tell it's going to be a great amp. I always wanted a Mesa amp and this week I got two of them.

Comment

IMO, it has more to do with how they designed the power amp than the preamp.

I've A/B'd my ROV:25's preamp against my 100w Recto's preamp and they basically sound the same, the ROV:25s power amp on the other hand is tweaked out.

What Mesa calls "Dyna-Watt" is basically stiffening capacitors that reinforce the transient response.... which is why a little 2xEL84 amp can punch so hard while producing the low end that it has.
                            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

You should hear a difference between the Studio and the ROV Mini in the way the EL84s sound. My Maverick 212 combo is rated as a Class A amp; the DC-3 has the same quartet, and while they sound different, they both have a tonality that is easily recognizable as EL84s. Very different from an EL34 or 6L6 amp.

My Mark V:25 and V:35 sound notably different and much closer to my 6L6 Mark V. I've noticed the same thing the during the times I've played the Mini-Rec Reverb. It's been a revelation; there must be some magic involved. I can actually hear a top-end that is extended, and not rounded off like the EL84s in the Mav or DC-3. Bass is different too.

I would not say that one is better than the other. They are different. The Maverick has tones that can get Fenderish, but it LIVES in that Vox/Marshall arena. Add the 212 Horizontal Recto to the Mav with my Les Paul and low-gain Lead Channel settings and it really takes me to Duane's tones on Live At The Fillmore. I like how the amp responds with the tube rectifier....you can really dig in with your fingers. The DC-3 is tighter, but the Mini-ROV WILL chug like a...well, like a miniature Rectifier.

You've picked up two really nice little amps, each with its own particular set of skills. Congrats!

Bill
                              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
                              X