My 1x12 kills my 2x12.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My 1x12 kills my 2x12.

Are you using the 2 x 12 cab with the speakers side-by-side or one above the other ?
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Some speakers need to move air.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
        I've got an open back 1x12 cab with an Eminence Wizard, and a 2x12 with a Celestion V30/K100 combo.

At loud apartment levels at least (think of a loud hi-fi system and a bit over that) the 1x12 absolutely slays the 2x12 when it comes to definition, tone and punch.
        The 2x12 sounds flat and lifeless, while the 1x12 sounds HEAVY AS ****. It makes no sense but it is that way.

I'm guessing the single speaker vibrates more at these levels and that's why it responds better?
        I've never been able to really crank the 2x12, and I hope I can do that sometime soon.

EDIT: Using my Tweaker, BTW.
        Are the impedances (ohms) the same?

Btw if you dont touch controls at all, less speakers = more cranked and more volume for any given setting
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Yeah. This makes me wanna buy another Wizard and throw them both in my 2x12.
          The Wizard has a raspy high-end response that just sounds great to me.

Just thinking outloud here, I could also try taking one speaker off my 2x12, dropping my Wizard in and leaving the other speaker as a dummy, right?
          To see if I just like Wizards in my 2x12 and dislike my Celestions.

I think mounting only the Wizard in my 2x12 could do something weird to the bass response, since it would have a 12 inch bass port in the front.
          It's funny you should mention the wizard, as a couple guys on facebook and i were talking about it yesterday. I haven't liked any clips i've heard of it on youtube. A guy who owns one told me he doesn't think any of the poor quality youtube vids do it justice because it requires special mic placement. It's cool that you like it. I'd really be curious to try one out in person.

Comment

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
            It's funny you should mention the wizard, as a couple guys on facebook and i were talking about it yesterday. I haven't liked any clips i've heard of it on youtube. A guy who owns one told me he doesn't think any of the poor quality youtube vids do it justice because it requires special mic placement. It's cool that you like it. I'd really be curious to try one out in person.
            I've been using them since 2007, and currently my Mini Jube is hooked up to one. They sound almost identical to the Blackback G12H30s in my '78 Marshall 4x12. Very slightly more stiff feeling due to the higher power handling. They're also 3db more sensitive, so my Wizard 2x12 is just as loud as the 4x12.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

that's cool . I own a mini jube too. I was stupid and bought the matching vertical 2x12 cab. Great sounding cab but hard to use with anything else. If i could go back, i'd go the horizantal route.

Comment

that's cool . I own a mini jube too. I was stupid and bought the matching vertical 2x12 cab. Great sounding cab but hard to use with anything else. If i could go back, i'd go the horizantal route.
                I don't know if I would. My full size Jube fits on my horizontal 2x12, but it needs to be on a stand to hear it.

In the other thread you mention not having a V30 cab, but I'm pretty sure the Jubilee vertical 2x12 is loaded with Marshall-branded V30s.

Compared to V30s, Wizards​ & H30s have tighter bass, smoother mids, and maybe slightly more aggressive highs. I don't mind V30s, but I definitely prefer Wizards or H30s.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                Last edited by dystrust; 06-01-2017, 07:39 AM.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I see. Thats a good point.

My mini jube cab came with g12 vintages..... Are those similar to v30s?

Comment

I just looked it up, and you appear to be right. It is a "v-type." Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Learning more and more everyday.

I think i'll end up buying the evh cab, then, and run the super sonic through the mini jube cab.

Comment

All the Emi Wizard demos I've found in Youtube stink as well.
                      I only took a chance with it because my 1x12 had a terrible speaker and the Wizard had a huge discount in a store nearby.

Sadly I don't have a decent mic, otherwise I'd set the Wizard straight with a badass demo right away.
                      Last edited by Diego; 06-01-2017, 01:04 PM.
                      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Yeah. This makes me wanna buy another Wizard and throw them both in my 2x12.
                        The Wizard has a raspy high-end response that just sounds great to me.

Just thinking outloud here, I could also try taking one speaker off my 2x12, dropping my Wizard in and leaving the other speaker as a dummy, right?
                        To see if I just like Wizards in my 2x12 and dislike my Celestions.

I think mounting only the Wizard in my 2x12 could do something weird to the bass response, since it would have a 12 inch bass port in the front.
                        I need to try me a wizard.

I sort of had a similar experience selling my epiphone valve jr cab with a v30 for a carvin 2 x 12 with v30s. The epiphone sounded so great, and the carvin, while it sounds very nice didn't floor me like I thought it would. I do think for me it's partly a volume thing. I don't crank the 2 x 12 as much since it's pushing more air. When I do turn it up a bit it rages.

Comment

Working...
                        X