50w 5150 iii clean channel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50w 5150 iii clean channel.

Look for an amp with chimey cleans that can also take a transparent od pedal well. The heavily distorted channel on this amp could be a great bonus. Price is right, too.Thoughts on this amps clean channel and it's ability to take pedals?
    Last edited by Open lane; 05-30-2017, 11:10 AM.

Re: 50w 5150 iii clean channel.

meh on the sound - any 5150 I have ever played.

Can't speak to pedals

But the sporty channel, oh man - one sound but a freaking great one!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

By sporty channel, do you mean the full gain channel?

I'm really after a good clean amp, but everything i've heard of the 5150 sounds good for full shred mode. If you think it's good for that, it's still in consideration for that purpose.

Comment

Check this clean preamp to compliment a high gain amp. As always the speaker has a lot to do. https://youtu.be/ZzRbhBz4370

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
        Who took my guitar?

Comment

Everything I've heard from the 5150 iii clean seems to be pretty good. If it's a good deal, I say go for it!

Comment

If its the clean channel your concerned mostly about, then the Fender Supersonic 60 head would be a better choice in the same price range. 6L6 powered also, and no question about the clean channel.

Comment

Ty!

Comment

Problem is that the supersonic was designed to pair with v30s and i don't have a cab with v30s. I may have to invest in a sep cab. It's tough, because space around here is becoming more and more limited. I think i'm going to move my mini jube to my bedroom, to free up space foe another 2x12

Comment

I'm sure the SS will still sound good through non V30 speakers.

Comment

Ok. Definitely being considered. I think i made room for one more cab in my house, still. So eventually i'll be getting something loaded with v30s. Now it comes down to finances. Hoping to have at least one or two amps by the end of the year (yes, thinking of buying more than one at the sametime because of the way promotional purchases work on the credit card. Keeping track of multiple purchase dates and meeting the minimum payment crieria to qualify for interest free financing is more involved when adding additional purchases at dif times to the tab)

Comment

Aceman, when you mentioned "the sporty channel" were you referring to full gain? Or do you think the sound is "meh" for all it's channels?

Comment

Yes - full gain channel is excellent. Opinions vary by version, original, II, III, 6505+ etc...

And there is nothing wrong with the cleans. But if I were shopping for a clean amp, that wouldn't be it. I never heard the cleans on one and went "oh man - listen the the sparkle, the chime, the depth...."

Marshall DSL 401 is still my all time favorite clean metal amp. The cleans on that are amazing. Fender-level amazing....

But I have no idea what you want out of the cleans really. What is a stunning clean to you?
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I really like eric johnson's clean tone, srv, jimi etc. i heard some guy playing through a fender twin reverb last week and loved it. Also like the fender princeton. I did not like a fender deluxe reverb, though.

My problem with springing on a princeton is that in clips i've heard, they're finicky with pedals. I won't get a twin reverb because of my living situation.

I like the suggestion for the super sonic. I tried one of those years ago and loved it.

I'm thinking i may get a 5150 head, a super sonic head and a cab for the super sonic. Should cover a lot of ground!

Comment

I love my 5150 III 50 watt, but if you want great chimey cleans this is not the amp for you. The Blue channel is where it's at. Red is really good too. Green is just okay. The amp was not designed for pristine cleans.

If you want chimey cleans and a good pedal platform, maybe a deluxe reverb reissue is right for you. I have not owned one, but many people use them in this exact way with great results.
                            Last edited by Jeff5; 05-31-2017, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Jeff. I'm glad i made this post. I think i'm still gonna get a 5150, it's now i know more about what i am (and am not) getting. I tried a deluxe reverb a couple months ago and was majorly disapointed. I like the idea of a super sonic. And then a 5150 for the shred stuff.

Again, i really appreciate the info you and aceman have offered. I feel like if i did not bring it up, it may have felt like getting an apple when i thought i was ordering an orange.

Comment

Working...
                              X