• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 50w 5150 iii clean channel.

Check out the PRS amps
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

You're welcome! The 50W 5150 III is definitely a fun amp!

Comment

I'm going to second the recommendation for a Supersonic. I'm running the 22 watt head as the centerpiece for my present live rig. The cleans are phenomenal and the burn channel kicks a lot of ass as well.

You don't need V30s. I'm pushing 4 G12-80s from mine and it sounds amazing.

Comment

Thanks, guys

Comment

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
            Thanks for the info, Jeff. I'm glad i made this post. I think i'm still gonna get a 5150, it's now i know more about what i am (and am not) getting. I tried a deluxe reverb a couple months ago and was majorly disapointed. I like the idea of a super sonic. And then a 5150 for the shred stuff.

Again, i really appreciate the info you and aceman have offered. I feel like if i did not bring it up, it may have felt like getting an apple when i thought i was ordering an orange.
            I played a lot of amps before I got the Stiletto. Like I said - I am by no means a huge conneseur of the clean channel....But the 5150s/6505 I just wasn't digging (clean) in any way.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

You could always look into the PRS Archon 50w as well. Amazing clean channel, and brutal high gain, all in the same amp.

Comment

To the OP: Don't you have a mini Jubilee? That amp will do an astonishing clean with kT66 tubes. It doesn't kill the drive channel either. The overdrive is just a little different in a plexi kind of way. Throw a reverb in the loop and you will have an impressive clean tone. And you will forget that there is shared input gain and EQ between the two channels.

The downside is that you can't put the amp back in the head shell without notching the mounting frame for the back grill with most KT66s. And you will need to remove the bear trap tube retainers with kT66s. Alternatives to the KT66 such as the KT77, 6L6/5881, or 6550 might give you that without needing any modifications though. The amp responds nice with 6CA7s too, with deeper, tighter bass, but the cleans on the 6CA7 may be too dark for channel switching. The mini Jubilee is cathode biased and can safely take any those above tubes with out adjusting the bias. Just swap em out.

Comment

Working...
                X