Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

Originally posted by LLL View Post
    I see this thinking quite a bit here; the truth is, it's an erroneous question and a mindset that will inhibit growth.

1.) a lot of people love the music (and guitar tones) they grew up with.

2.) all guitarists (and I mean all) have their influences. And their influences had theirs.

3.) while it is certainly true that some people focus only on one famous tone, others study various tones.

4.) the era of "legendary guitar tones" (for lack of a better term) is long gone. Meaning, there's nothing out there
    for people our age that when we "drop the needle" the first time on a new album, that our minds are blown because
    of the awesome guitar tone. We've all been there, done that a million times... we've heard it all.

5.) nobody around here has such a unique and kickass guitar tone to have the "podium" to stand on and ask such questions. In other words,
    the typical guitar gear forumite isn't blowing people's minds and inspiring millions with their guitar tone (most of them don't even know how to record themselves).

6.) studying these tones educates yourself and can only improve your own repertoire.

But mainly, the fascination with 40 year old guitar tones has to do with reason number one.
    I am amazed at your ability to give six... count 'em SIX rebuttals to only part of my comment without bothering to read the rest of it.

My whole point is that the Rockman sound is only one of many great tones out there. I'm happy for you if you consider it to be your holy grail, but it's not mine. I would find it useful but hardly one that I would want to use all the time or as "my" sound.

Tom Scholz had a great tone for the guitars in Boston but let's face it, Brad Delp's voice was the real thing that made the band great anyway.
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

I love the sound of buzz saw guitars
      There is an emotional angst that runs within those tones

Just like minor chords are sad
      Minor 7th chords sound melancholy

Metal
      Hair metal had the angst.that defined an era for me

My teens and early twenties

I'm older now and while those sounds are great for me.to remember
      They are not the tones that are inside me now
      The ones I am trying to find are more bluesy rhythmic
      I would like to add these to the arsenal
      So that when expressing that angst, I will have them at my fingertips
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
        My whole point is that the Rockman sound is only one of many great tones out there. I'm happy for you if you consider it to be your holy grail, but it's not mine.
        I don't consider it to be my holy grail... I have several favorites (and I'm always adding new how-to vids). Which was part of my point - someone posts "Hey check out this thing I did with so-and-so's tone" and people question why someone likes said tone, and even ridiculously insinuate that they "worship" said tone. Or worse, stupidly state "go get your own tone"; like they have some kind of unique kickass tone of their own that influenced millions (they don't).

It's hilarious!

I mean, this is a guitar gear forum with people who play and like guitar, right? And these people have players they like and the tones therein, right?

It's very simple: people talk about stuff they like.

Tom Scholz had a great tone for the guitars in Boston but let's face it, Brad Delp's voice was the real thing that made the band great anyway.
        I'd say it was a combination of both. Plus the songwriting. Throw in the Eventide H910 too for good measure.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
          The ones I am trying to find are more bluesy rhythmic
          I would like to add these to the arsenal
          So that when expressing that angst, I will have them at my fingertips
          Paul Kossoff would be an excellent start.

Comment

I'd say it was a combination of both. Plus the songwriting. Throw in the Eventide H910 too for good measure.
            I agree, and I would go one further and say that the production in general was a huge part why Boston got huge. It might seem like something rather ordinary these days, but I think those early Boston albums predicted where music production was moving better than anything else at the time – I wonder to what extent they were "merely" ahead of their time, and to what extent they set the bar for everybody else.

Comment

The Rockman in D minor is the saddest of all sounds.

Comment

Comment

I don't consider it to be my holy grail... I have several favorites (and I'm always adding new how-to vids). Which was part of my point - someone posts "Hey check out this thing I did with so-and-so's tone" and people question why someone likes said tone,
                  I wouldn't ask "why" unless I actually wanted an answer and/or was trying to engage the person in conversation.

...and even ridiculously insinuate that they "worship" said tone.
                  Uhhh… Have you read this thread? There's some SERIOUS tone worship going on here!

Or worse, stupidly state "go get your own tone"; like they have some kind of unique kickass tone of their own that influenced millions (they don't).
                  I never said that anyone should go out and get their own tone… there just aren't enough to go around. However, I do question a bit why someone would want to stick with only one tone when we have the ability nowadays to have a veritable smorgasbord of tones to choose from.
                  Originally posted by The Commodores?
                  "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Does anybody here want to stick with only one tone? The thread, if I recall correctly, was created to get advice on getting Rockman tones from modern gear, that is, gear that is most likely engineered to get more "politically correct" tones. Incidentally, I also think that the Rockmodules have proven themselves to be capable of far more than getting Scholtz' tone.
                    Last edited by Sirion; 10-16-2017, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                      Does anybody here want to stick with only one tone?
                      I do.

I only want Tom Scholz tone for everything I do.

That's why I study in detail and try to recreate EVH, Rhoads, LeTekrø, Sykes, Nugent, Lifeson, EJ, Angus, Iommi, Malmsteen, Blackmore, Lynch, May, Dharma, Easton, Schon, Nuno, Page, Beck, Clapton, Schenker, Uli Jon Roth, Viv Campbell, etc ad infinitum... tone.

(sure, makes sense)

Comment

However, I do question a bit why someone would want to stick with only one tone when we have the ability nowadays to have a veritable smorgasbord of tones to choose from.
                        Well, not to be Capt Obvious, but Rockman tone is one of the tones to choose from with the veritable smorgasbord of tones available.

We just so happen to be focusing on that particular tone (Rockman) here.

Doesn't mean that's the only tone for any of us.

Two months from now, it may be Angus Young's that we focus on.

Comment

Those early Satch tones were Rockman? No wonder they were um.... *not my favorite*.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I think his soloing tones were a little thin on Surfing, but I really like the rhythm tone on Crushing Day, which, indeed, crushes. It also also distinctly un-Scholtz-ian.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                              Those early Satch tones were Rockman? No wonder they were um.... *not my favorite*.
                              I've also heard that he used a Boss DS-1 into a Roland Jazz Chorus on a few things; at least in the studio. I remember seeing a video of him playing Montreux '88, and he had a rack full of Rockman and other stuff. His "power amps" looked like the famous '69 Plexi and a JMP 2203.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I can get a pretty decent Rockman-like tone with an MI Audio Crunchbox and a Powerstage 170.

Comment

Working...
                                X