Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

Originally posted by 67Mopar View Post
    I believe it was actually Barry Goudreau who cultivated the "Boston sound". It was Barry who taught Tom how to play guitar. Tom also says that the band didn't exist prior to him, which is not the case. Tom responded to a "keyboard player needed" ad that was posted by other members of the band. Most of the intricate lead work (e.g. Long Time) was played by Barry Goudreau.
    Yep that's what I've heard too. cocked wah, etc...

Tom himself has admitted being a keyboardist when he joined the band.

Comment

Originally posted by Kosh Naranek View Post
      Wow! This thread is still going!
      Thanks for posting this demo. I haven't used my Rockman chorus in years, since I got a BOSS CE-20 and Digitech Hardwire chorus, and have chorus options in the form of various plugins in my DAW software.

The more lush sound he gets at 1:30 when pushing the sweep speed slider up all the way is a little reminiscent of Robin Guthrie's 80s and early 90s tones! I didn't think the Rockman chorus got that sound! I chased that sound for a few years. There's a rotary preset in my Rocktron Replifex that's close, and a setting on the CE-20 that's close. But Guthrie has said in interviews that he used Rockman Sustainors back in those days to track guitars direct. Maybe he had the Rockman chorus in the rig too.
      I'll have to dig out my Rockman chorus, push the speed slider all the way up and maybe record a track or two.
      Did you get to try your Rockman Stereo Chorus yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
        Now this is funny:

Several mentions have been made here of PerfectSound Rock Refurbs. This was (to my knowledge) the first place that did Rockman refurbs, and the first online repository of knowledge about how to use them. It was quite active in the early 2000s, but disappeared some years ago. I think the owner is still around and doing things to some extent, but the page disappeared some years ago.

Or so I thought…

http://www.perfectsoundrockrefurbs.com/

Apparently, the domain has been purchased by some sort of Japanese matchmaking service. What the logic behind the choice of name is (if any) I have no idea.
        ?? Perfect sounds did a refurb on my Chorus unit a few short years ago..
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Well, the page is gone, and I think it has been for a few years. You are either getting old, or more is happening behind the scenes than I know of. I can say for certain that the page said that the guy was "retired" for quite a few years; it might have changed afterwards, though, before it went away. Or something like that. As mentioned elsewhere, I don't think the guy running it is completely gone.

How are you liking your unit?

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
            ?? Perfect sounds did a refurb on my Chorus unit a few short years ago..
            Dave Ferringer at Rockman-Repair and Dwight Baker at B5 Amplification are still actively refurbishing Rockman units.

Comment

I wonder if it practically possible to change the power supply in these units to make them 240v? It seems like all the people repairing these are in the US, and it might be that I may just as well change the power supply in an American unit as to send a European one there and back, if it is at all possible.

Comment

I wonder if it practically possible to change the power supply in these units to make them 240v? It seems like all the people repairing these are in the US, and it might be that I may just as well change the power supply in an American unit as to send a European one there and back, if it is at all possible.
                Yes, it is doable. You would need to change the fuse, cord, and install a dual-voltage transformer.

Comment

As long as it can be done without adding any huge, external transformers (one of my MP-1s was a US version with the most cumbersome transformer solution I have ever seen!) that might actually be something to look into. I doubt that I'll ever get around to it, though…

Comment

Na... It's a small dual voltage transformer that you can purchase from Mouser, same pin type as OEM.

Module 230V Transformers
                    Hobart 230VAC Hammond 230VAC Triad 230VAC
                    Midi Octopus +5V PSD-310 162E10 FS10-250
                    Chorus/Delay +/-6V PSD-310 162E10 FS10-200
                    Instr. EQ +/-12V PSD-332 162E24 FS24-100
                    Other modules +/-8V PSD-320 162E20 FS16-150

Comment

This rig kills communists!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	5804455
                      Last edited by 67Mopar; 12-16-2017, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Na... It's a small dual voltage transformer that you can purchase from Mouser, same pin type as OEM.

Module 230V Transformers
                        Hobart 230VAC Hammond 230VAC Triad 230VAC
                        Midi Octopus +5V PSD-310 162E10 FS10-250
                        Chorus/Delay +/-6V PSD-310 162E10 FS10-200
                        Instr. EQ +/-12V PSD-332 162E24 FS24-100
                        Other modules +/-8V PSD-320 162E20 FS16-150
                        Now THIS is awesome! Thanks a lot! Love the rig, too! I see you have three pre-amps in there (early and late Sustainor + Distortion Generator). How do you switch between them? How does the DG sound compared to the Sustainors?

Comment

FYI: This is the NUMBER TWO replied to Amp thread of all time.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

This rig kills communists!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85372[/ATTACH]
                            Holy Third Stage Batman!!!!!
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              FYI: This is the NUMBER TWO replied to Amp thread of all time.
                              Ha! I was aware that it was the most replied to this year, but not that! What is the most replied to?

EDIT: Never mind, I found it myself. I wasn't aware that there was a function for sorting threads by # of replies.
                              Last edited by Sirion; 12-16-2017, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Now THIS is awesome! Thanks a lot! Love the rig, too! I see you have three pre-amps in there (early and late Sustainor + Distortion Generator). How do you switch between them? How does the DG sound compared to the Sustainors?
                                If we agree that the Rockman sound is based on Marshall - the DG is Tom's take on a modified Marshall preamp. The later 'large board' model is the one to get btw. Compared to the Sustainor, the DG is capable of a increased (EDGE voiced) gain and harmonic saturation. Its overall character is voiced in the lower midrange. The pre-gain EQ is nice for tone shaping. The switchable boost option is perfect for standout licks. Even if you add a pre-gain EQ to the Sustainor loop, the Sustainor is voiced in the upper mids.

I hope I'm not being redundant, but here goes... The key to getting tube-like percussive attack with less actionable compression from a Rockman: Use a Ibanez TS9/808 into the front of the rig. Set the distortion at 9:00 - tone at 8:00 - level at 10:00 to 12:00. Dokken's 'Under Lock And Key' is replete with TS9 + Rockman guitar tones, and may be the best example of what it possible. A Lexicon PCM reverb (with stereo inputs) will round-out the entire package, but it's not critical. An exiting bass resonance boost (expander) is recommended. I believe GL used an Eventide Harmonizer for doubling, but the bedrock tracks and leads were generated using Rockman devices.

Also... The Smart Gate module isn't really needed if you're using a Sustainor. So, why is it in my rack? 1. Rockman owners like to show them off. 2. They are as rare as an earnest politician! I actually have it linked into my Marshall Silver Jubilee. Like the Rockman Compressor, the Smart Gate was designed to be used with a traditional tube amplifier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	5804468
                                Last edited by 67Mopar; 12-16-2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X