• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

Originally posted by rbc View Post
    This video gives a good example:

Wow! This thread is still going!
    Thanks for posting this demo. I haven't used my Rockman chorus in years, since I got a BOSS CE-20 and Digitech Hardwire chorus, and have chorus options in the form of various plugins in my DAW software.

The more lush sound he gets at 1:30 when pushing the sweep speed slider up all the way is a little reminiscent of Robin Guthrie's 80s and early 90s tones! I didn't think the Rockman chorus got that sound! I chased that sound for a few years. There's a rotary preset in my Rocktron Replifex that's close, and a setting on the CE-20 that's close. But Guthrie has said in interviews that he used Rockman Sustainors back in those days to track guitars direct. Maybe he had the Rockman chorus in the rig too.
    I'll have to dig out my Rockman chorus, push the speed slider all the way up and maybe record a track or two.
    "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
    Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
    guitar pic site
    Original prog rock on soundcloud
    Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
    Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

David "SG" Ferringer put together a video using a Rockman Sustainor 200. Here's the chain he used:

1) Ego Compressor >
      2) Rockman EQ > (Used on Clean Channel)
      3) Y Splitter B > Sustainors All Return (Clean Channel)
      4) Y Splitter A > AMT SS11a > Sustainors Distortion/Edge Return (Dist Channel)
      5) Pedal Board >
      6) Digitech MEQ > (critical in shaping the post freqs and db levels )
      7) Rockman Chorus > (Stereo)
      8) Reverb > (Stereo)
      9) PC Sound Card

It's kind of interesting that he used an AMT SS11a in front of the distortion circuit of the Sustainor. He also substituted a different compressor, bypassing the Rockman compressor and gate, going directly into the Sustainor effects returns. It's worth pointing out that the Sustainor effects loop is before the built in distortion circuit, not after.

Here's the video:
      Last edited by rbc; 11-28-2017, 09:20 PM.

Comment

A trick to getting past the traditional Rockman sound is to hit the compressor (input) with a drive pedal. It is imperative that you also boost the low-end before whatever power amp you're using. My Carvin F150 was basically made to use with the Rockman rack gear. I have yet to find a power amp that sounds as good with my Rockman head. The sound? Spectacular!

The Model 200 double IC is great, but its Distortion mode doesn't hold a candle to the Model 100 Distortion mode. The original Model 100 Distortion mode is "high-gain modified" compared to the Model 200. On the other hand, the Model 200 has a much better Edge mode. The Distortion Generator is the later "large board" model; which (TME) pisses on the 1st issue DG. This is as close as you are going to get to 1st and 2nd album Boston guitar tone via solid-state.

George Lynch used 2 x Rockman X100's and an Ibanez TS9 for the INL tracks...

Last edited by 67Mopar; 12-03-2017, 09:40 AM.

Comment

George's cleans are one of the things that attract me to the Rockman gear. Those are just huge sounding.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
            The other big "trick" (not really a trick) with say the Rockmodules is they required "full-range" speakers.

The units already had a speaker cab sim built in.

Dudes would plug in their regular 4x12s (full of regular guitar speakers) to the Rockmodules and complain.
            Sorry if this is a dumb question.... But what is the diff tween speakers and "full range" speakers? The full range one have the built in tweeters or something?
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
              Sorry if this is a dumb question.... But what is the diff tween speakers and "full range" speakers? The full range one have the built in tweeters or something?
              "full range speaker"?

Generally speaking (no pun intended), a speaker that reproduces a wider range of frequencies than your typical guitar cab speaker.

A speaker with a wide frequency response.

For example, I use my 2 Seymour Duncan 1x12's loaded with stock Celestion G-12K 85s with my Rockman Rockmodules.

(Rockmodules are also designed to plug straight into the PA or mixer)
              Last edited by LLL; 12-04-2017, 10:30 AM.

Comment

A Rockman system was, apparently, ideally made to be played through a system that resembled a PA system rather than a guitar rig. I don't care for the writing style, but there is an old article explaining the basics here:

(Link looks iffy, but I guarantee that it is totally safe)

https://web.archive.org/web/20050208...20Must%20Read!

30 years later, with the advent of the Axe-FX and Helix, it seems like the rest of the guitar world has latched onto the idea.

Comment

It means they are full range, like PA speakers. There are full range cabinets that are designed like guitar cabinets. The current lingo seems to be FRFR, that is Full Range, Flat Response. Modeling amps have made them more popular. Here are some I've found in the market:

http://usa.matrixamplification.com/speakers/fr12.html
                  http://www.accugroovellc.com/frfr
                  https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/guit...ditional-frfr/
                  http://friedmanamplification.com/monitors/asm-12
                  http://atomicamps.com/clr-reference-frfr-monitors/
                  http://xitonecabs.com
                  https://missionengineering.com/shop-...v=7516fd43adaa

Comment

I borrowed my buddy's Roland 60 watt keyboard cube for a while. The thing sounded amazing with guitar. The upper and lower overtones made the guitar sound incredibly thick and whammy work was a joy to play through. Full range definitely has its benefits.

Comment

I'll have to try that out at some time. Guitarists, as we all know, are infamously conservative, so it might be that this, strictly speaking, is a switch that many should have made a long time ago.

Comment

The original model 100 Sustainor was specifically designed to be used through either a PA or a guitar cabinet. The model 200 Sustainor will work in the same manner, but its treble range doesn't seem to be voiced the same (range wise) as the 100. If you look at the treble voicing slider on the model 100, you will see that it is sectored for PA (speaker) and Guitar (speaker) use. The Phase Notcher slider is for PA use only! It simulates phase cancelation between speakers in a traditional 4x12 guitar cabinet. Nothing good can result by using the Phase Notcher circuit with a guitar speaker cabinet... If you're not plugged into a PA system, leave the Phase Notch circuit off.
                        Last edited by 67Mopar; 12-06-2017, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                          I borrowed my buddy's Roland 60 watt keyboard cube for a while. The thing sounded amazing with guitar. The upper and lower overtones made the guitar sound incredibly thick and whammy work was a joy to play through. Full range definitely has its benefits.
                          Most of the Rockman gear provides a cabinet simulation. That includes the Headphone amps, Sustainors, Distortion Generator and the XP series. A keyboard amp is actually just fine with the Rockman gear. It won't color the sound.

Comment

Now this is funny:

Several mentions have been made here of PerfectSound Rock Refurbs. This was (to my knowledge) the first place that did Rockman refurbs, and the first online repository of knowledge about how to use them. It was quite active in the early 2000s, but disappeared some years ago. I think the owner is still around and doing things to some extent, but the page disappeared some years ago.

Or so I thought…

http://www.perfectsoundrockrefurbs.com/

Apparently, the domain has been purchased by some sort of Japanese matchmaking service. What the logic behind the choice of name is (if any) I have no idea.

Comment

That's the only way lonely Boston tone geeks will get any nookie.

Comment

I believe it was actually Barry Goudreau who cultivated the "Boston sound". It was Barry who taught Tom how to play guitar. Tom also says that the band didn't exist prior to him, which is not the case. Tom responded to a "keyboard player needed" ad that was posted by other members of the band. Most of the intricate lead work (e.g. Long Time) was played by Barry Goudreau.

Comment

Working...
                                X