How about a tone challenge?

Your ZOOM MS 70CDR vs my attempt.

Annnnnnnnnd go!

Comment

• Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

Originally posted by Securb View Post
      You want in too?

I know you'd love to.

Everybody knows you secretly desire to have your tone sound exactly like Tom Scholz.
      Last edited by LLL; 11-05-2017, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
        Wow, aren't you charming. If you're not interested in Rockman products, feel free not to post.
        It cracks me up how these Rockman tone haters dismiss it by making "old, ancient" claims; as if just because a particular
        tone was done decades ago, it is somehow useless and irrelevant today.

Like there's any modern tone that can even get in the ballpark of influencing millions of guitarists and being on numerous
        legendary albums like the Rockman did.

Like their own tone is some shining example of awesomeness.

Sounds mostly like sour grapes to me.

Hell, I don't think the guitar is played anymore in today's popular music... what's so damn special about that?

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
          You want in too?

I know you'd love to.

Everybody knows you secretly desire to have your tone sound exactly like Tom Scholz.
          I would absolutely love to join the fun. The only caveat is the clip has to be an original composition. You in?

Comment

I would absolutely love to join the fun. The only caveat is the clip has to be an original composition. You in?
            Sounds good... with a handful of other simple caveats:

- must be a video showing your playing and must show your entire signal chain (so people can't cheat or use samples)
            - absolutely no Rockman gear allowed
            - guitars only (so we can hear the tone)
            - no cowboy chords!
            - time allotment: 1 month to submit
            - any forum member is allowed to participate
            - judgment based on how close to the Rockman tone your submission is

I can post it up in Tips n Clips, if you are amenable to these terms.

Also, keep in mind this post when making your decision:

Post #2
            Last edited by LLL; 11-05-2017, 07:51 PM.

Comment

It cracks me up how these Rockman tone haters dismiss it by making "old, ancient" claims; as if just because a particular
              tone was done decades ago, it is somehow useless and irrelevant today.
              I can get people not liking it. There are plenty of guitar tones I don't care for; some are considered benchmarks, many are featured on records that have sold better than my favourites. What I don't get is that adults feel the need to barge in and act like a donkey about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                I can get people not liking it. There are plenty of guitar tones I don't care for; some are considered benchmarks, many are featured on records that have sold better than my favourites. What I don't get is that adults feel the need to barge in and act like a donkey about it.
                Well, you know what they say: "SSDD" (same **** different day)

They do the same thing here for EVH tone threads.

It's just sour grapes, forum-control-freaking and lack-of-attention jealousy.
                Last edited by LLL; 11-06-2017, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Is that so?

How about a tone challenge?

Your ZOOM MS 70CDR vs my attempt.

Annnnnnnnnd go!

I am not the one blessed with golden ear like our bro Lew Guitar, so to me it's plain and simple: A lot of chorus (intense depth, rate, and level), Hall reverb, one-note-at-a-time playing ala Phil Collen, and voila...there you have it, the Scholz tone.

I think "Hysteria" by Def Leppard is representative, especially the arpeggio in Def Leppard's "Gods of War".

Comment

Sure, I will bang out a clip. Will you get a video maybe, maybe not. Will you get it in a month I doubt it, I have too much on my plate right now? This is something I would do on a slow weekend, cloning 20-year-old guitar tones is not my highest priority.

Comment

Sure, I will bang out a clip. Will you get a video maybe, maybe not. Will you get it in a month I doubt it, I have too much on my plate right now? This is something I would do on a slow weekend, cloning 20-year-old guitar tones is not my highest priority.
                      It's gotta be a video; cell phone works. Too easy to cheat with just a clip.

How much time do you need?

You mean "40 year old guitar tones"

Comment

You don't get it this is not important enough to "cheat". I just bought a house 90% of my gear is in storage until the move in next month. I am living in a hotel with the JC120, five stomps and a couple of Les Pauls until the move. Even then this would take back seat to working on actual music for my band, working on the house, spending time with my girlfriend. You know, things that matter. Will I bang out a clip at some point, probably?

Comment

You don't get it this is not important enough to "cheat". I just bought a house 90% of my gear is in storage until the move in next month. I am living in a hotel with the JC120, five stomps and a couple of Les Pauls until the move. Even then this would take back seat to working on actual music for my band, working on the house, spending time with my girlfriend. You know, things that matter. Will I bang out a clip at some point, probably?
                          It's video or nothing - a very simple requisite that keeps everybody honest. In fact, a cell phone vid is far easier to do (for those who want to) than mic'ing and recording.

If 90% of your gear is in storage and you have "things that matter" to take care of, why bother to insert yourself into the challenge? You obviously don't currently have the time to spare nor the gear available.

Just let us know when you're actually ready (at 100% gear/time capacity) and we'll do this.

Comment

Here's something that might intrigue you tone-copping freaks:

Comment

- https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12339450-post26.html -
                              sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                              - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Is this gonna be played with Scholz as the backing track like in post #2, or a cappella?
                                ?
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X