Rockman Tone in 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

Thanks, I know of those. I remember reading of PSRR back in 2004 or so. I will probably have to go with the Frenchies, if I ever get around to doing anything in this manner, since shipping things to the US and back from Norway is only going to make things more expensive and time consuming. But it would have been an awful lot of fun to get the real deal one day…

Comment

Looks like PSRR is on Reverb now, so it can't be all dead!

Comment

Here's PSRR's YouTube channel:

Comment

Yes, I've seen this! Pretty cool, I think, although I wish he would go outside the Boston box more often. The Rockman units (Rockmen) is inextricably linked to Boston, of course, but it could do a lot more.

Comment

10 years ago you could find those things new in music store junk bins for $20. Now not so much. I should have picked one up while I had the chance, I want to sound like Hysteria with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
              Yes, I've seen this! Pretty cool, I think, although I wish he would go outside the Boston box more often. The Rockman units (Rockmen) is inextricably linked to Boston, of course, but it could do a lot more.
              Yeah - I'm pretty sure he's a total, complete, 100% Boston/Tom Scholz-head.

And that's O.K.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Voltage View Post
                10 years ago you could find those things new in music store junk bins for $20. Now not so much. I should have picked one up while I had the chance, I want to sound like Hysteria with it.
                The earlier Sustainors (blue label) are being sold on Ebay for decent prices... the newer ones (white label) are expensive.

But what will really kill you are the Stereo Delays... I paid $600 for mine. They are fantastic, though.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                  Yeah - I'm pretty sure he's a total, complete, 100% Boston/Tom Scholz-head.

And that's O.K.
                  Yes, we all have our crosses to bear.

Comment

Yes, we all have our crosses to bear.
                    It's a better tone than most. And quite conducive to layering in the studio.

Comment

I would certainly be interested if you decide to do so, especially since this is a refurbished unit. One thing that can be said about these units is that they break down over time, and finding somebody to fix it near me would be impossible.
                      I will keep you in mind!

Dave Accomando at perfectsoundrockrefurbs is who fixed mine. I thought his price was pretty reasonable, and he was great to work with. But yes your location would add to the price in an unpleasant way.
                      Last edited by zamdrang; 08-10-2017, 01:18 PM.
                      '76 Gibson Marauder
                      '89 American Standard Strat
                      '90 Peavey Vandenberg
                      '00 Music Man Axis
                      '82 Les Paul Custom
                      '11 Gretsch 6120
                      '14 Reverend Volcano
                      Peavey Bravo 112
                      Johnson JM150

Comment

Using a modeler (BIAS) and VSTs, I walk through it step-by-step:

Subtract the delay/echo & H910 parts for the basic tone... although they are key.
                        You Nailed It !! I thought I was at the "Don't look back tour" in the early to mid 80's again ! That is so cool,I really like that tone and that Carvin guitar is perfect for that sound ! And your playing is awesome,you nailed it !

Comment

Using a modeler (BIAS) and VSTs, I walk through it step-by-step:

Subtract the delay/echo & H910 parts for the basic tone... although they are key.
                          You Nailed It !! I thought I was at the "Don't look back tour" in the early to mid 80's again ! That is so cool,I really like that tone and that Carvin guitar is perfect for that sound ! And your playing is awesome,you nailed it !

Comment

Originally posted by moshpit817 View Post
                            Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by zamdrang View Post
                              I will keep you in mind!

Dave Accomando at perfectsoundrockrefurbs is who fixed mine. I thought his price was pretty reasonable, and he was great to work with. But yes your location would add to the price in an unpleasant way.
                              Excellent, thanks!

Comment

Has anyone tried one of these?
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	od20_main.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	5801245

It's COSM modeling technology, but I briefly plugged into one once and checked out the Rockman setting and thought it wasn't bad. It's not like the Rockman tone is an overly complex one.

Interesting note: I'm a big fan of Cocteau Twins. I recall reading an interview with Robin Guthrie in which he said that a lot of their guitar tones were a Rockman Sustainor plugged right into the board.
                                That may have been driven by budget and time constraints, but I'm sure it allowed him also to take advantage to the ability to layer more guitar tracks.

I've got two Rockman Sustainors, one with more blue silk screening, the other with more white. They're not for everything, but from time to time they add a distinctive sound to a track.
                                "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
                                Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
                                guitar pic site
                                Original prog rock on soundcloud
                                Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
                                Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

Working...
                                X