Rockman Tone in 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

Yes, I think that was the fate of many of them. Like them or not, it is a fact that they were less solidly built than a Plexi.

Comment

So, Rid, as the resident Scandinavian pedalster: do you have any suggestions for getting righteously gnarly 80s chorus guitar that will send grungers and hipsters into hiding, that are readily available in 2017?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
        Shoot it? Let me send you a recommendation in the form of a song featuring a guitarist known for using Rockmans:

t
        Wow... was that really the best you could come up with?

I'm a big 80s rock fan, but that was the perfect example of why so many people hate the music of the 80s!
        Originally posted by The Commodores?
        "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
          Wow... was that really the best you could come up with?

I'm a big 80s rock fan, but that was the perfect example of why so many people hate the music of the 80s!
          The title might be a clue, dude. As for the haters, I never catered to them. I doubt that any of them are still reading five pages into a discussion about the Rockman in any case!

Comment

Hmm old yellow MXR stompbox, or if you like refined old Lexicon PCM 80.
            The Digitech Luxe could be fun one too!

Comment

Most really good modelers these days can do the 80s chorus thing- the Line6 M-series, the Helix, the Fractals, etc. You can always just layer up 4 chorus guitar parts to get that sound, although I have no idea why. In the 80s I used chorus once in awhile, ut I did and still hate that kind of music, though.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

......can't stand modelers...they are so fake...

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                  No, no, no... haven't you heard? All gear prior to the year 2000 is crap and makes crap tone; especially during the 1980s.

See, the 2000's is when guitar tone really started to shine.
                  To me it's made in 1968 but used on recordings from 1978 to 1982.

LOL

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
                  Nope...

Comment

With vintage Line6 boxes

Comment

• Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                      No, no, no... haven't you heard? All gear prior to the year 2000 is crap and makes crap tone; especially during the 1980s.
                      Who said that? There is plenty of gear that was made in the 70's and 80's that were legendary and stand the test of time. People are still buying Tube Screamers, MXR D+'s and DOD 250's. Those pedals were the cornerstone of guitar tones in that era. The Rockman, unfortunately, is not one of those pieces of gear. There is a reason for that, supply and demand. Most guitarists do not find the tone generated by SR&D useable or pleasing. If they did the gear would still be produced today.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        Who said that? There is plenty of gear that was made in the 70's and 80's that were legendary and stand the test of time. People are still buying Tube Screamers, MXR D+'s and DOD 250's. Those pedals were the cornerstone of guitar tones in that era. The Rockman, unfortunately, is not one of those pieces of gear. There is a reason for that, supply and demand. Most guitarists do not find the tone generated by SR&D useable or pleasing. If they did the gear would still be produced today.
                        To be fair, there is plenty of gear from earlier decades that is legendary but no longer produced, and enough of a fan base for the Rockman still remains for there to be people specializing in repairing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Most really good modelers these days can do the 80s chorus thing- the Line6 M-series, the Helix, the Fractals, etc. You can always just layer up 4 chorus guitar parts to get that sound, although I have no idea why. In the 80s I used chorus once in awhile, ut I did and still hate that kind of music, though.
                          I just got a very reasonably priced G-System, which will hopefully take care of it decently. I am still mourning the lack of headroom in the DC-2, but I suppose there is nothing to be done about it.

Regarding hatred, yours is certainly the majority opinion, and, if nothing else, it should pass you the orthodoxy tests for guitar forums worldwide.
                          Last edited by Sirion; 07-08-2017, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                            To be fair, there is plenty of gear from earlier decades that is legendary but no longer produced, and enough of a fan base for the Rockman still remains for there to be people specializing in repairing them.
                            Understood. However, most of the people using/owning these units are collectors or nostalgic. When is the last time a Rockman was used outside of someone's bedroom? There is plenty of gear out there that is no longer manufactured that is sought after for music production. A lot of the analogue synths come to mind, or a vintage electric piano, Wurlitzers or Rhoades. Most decent recording studios also have a vintage Fender blackface somewhere. You will not find SR&D gear in the studio or the stage. The tone just does not translate to any form of music in the past 30 years.

Comment

Make it 25 and I think we are in agreement. I still love that tone, but I have long since come to peace with the fact that my generation (and society at large, save a small niche group) does not.
                              Last edited by Sirion; 07-08-2017, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Interesting discussion. I don't own nor have ever played the rack gear, but when I was in my late teens or early 20s (46 now) my older brother gave me a heavily used Rockman headphone amp.. .Soloist I think it is.. because it was shorting out and he didn't want to fix it. Even thought it didn't work I felt like I had been given the holy grail. Anyway a few years back I found it in a box and had flashbacks of how cool it sounded back in the day, I remember being so envious that he had one, I mean that sound was IT.

So being caught up in the nostalgia I sent it off to have it repaired and waited excitedly for it to come back. The day finally came and I played it for about 10 minutes before it went right back in the box lol
                                '76 Gibson Marauder
                                '89 American Standard Strat
                                '90 Peavey Vandenberg
                                '00 Music Man Axis
                                '82 Les Paul Custom
                                '11 Gretsch 6120
                                '14 Reverend Volcano
                                Peavey Bravo 112
                                Johnson JM150

Comment

Working...
                                X