Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

Originally posted by LLL View Post
    I may have to do a quick demo clip of some of my Rockmodules (the Sustainor 1.0, Stereo Chorus, Stereo Delay in particular) going "straight in to the console"...
    Pray do!

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      Good God - would someone call Tom Scholz!!!!!

He really needs to see this...
      I hadn't expected this thread to carry on into 2019, to put it mildly!

Comment

MERRY CHRISTMAS ROCKMAN THREAD!
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Happy Solstice, Scholz!

Comment

2nd Christmas for this thread...
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'd post Another Rock n' Roll Christmas if the singer weren't such an awful character.

Comment

This is pretty cool: The Rockman is finally covered by 80s homeboy Leon Todd!

Comment

HAPPY 2019, ROCKMAN THREAD! I actually just found this thread looking for Boston/Scholz/Rockman patches for my Line6 Helix. I read through THE WHOLE THING! I found a pretty good patch, and I may one day tweak it or rebuild one after digging out my Sustainor (I have a 200 here somewhere. No, it isn't for sale ;-) ).

I love the first 2 Boston albums. I like 3rd stage (saw them in '86 on that tour) and a few tunes on Walk On and Corporate America. It's one of my fave guitar sounds, mostly because of the harmonies and layering - I also love Queen and several Judas Priest albums. For anyone liking British Steel thru Defenders, check out the new Firepower. IMO it's the best Priest album since Defenders.

If I remember right, you can plug straight into the effect return of a sustainor and bypass the compressor altogether. Use whatever compression/OD pedals you like. Then you get the distortion and cab sim without the heavy compressor.

Happy 2019!

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post

This is pretty cool: The Rockman is finally covered by 80s homeboy Leon Todd!
                    thread is getting a lil TL/DR so someone summarize, is THIS here $70 Dunlop gadget still the same or a lame licensed budget knockoff???

Thx
                    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I actually haven't tried it, so I am sure that somebody can be more enlightening on this, but my understanding is that Scholz still holds some patents, so that this isn't quite the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                        I actually haven't tried it, so I am sure that somebody can be more enlightening on this, but my understanding is that Scholz still holds some patents, so that this isn't quite the same thing.
                        No he sold out to them...question is, did they keep it as is or screw it up
                        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Well, this is what has been written on the matter previously. I don't know where 67Mopar has his information from, but he is far more knowledgeable about Rockman stuff than I am, so there you have it.

Originally posted by 67Mopar View Post
                          True, but why would Jim Dunlop not just renew the patents? btw... Tom Scholz did not sell the entirety of the Rockman patents to Dunlop, so there are key features in the circuitry that Dunlop cannot reproduce. I believe it has to do with the compressor and/or overdrive. This is why the Dunlop Rockman products don't sound as good as the SR&D products.

Comment

• Rockman Tone in 2017

I think this unit was more of a headphone/bedroom type amp.
                            The actual Rockman units used by the pros were proper rackmount units.
                            I think you can use the above unit as a direct in to an amp as well, but it think this was something aimed at a different target consumer.
                            However, I’ve never used this unit ( I do remember the magazine ads in the 80’s for it) and somebody else that knows more can correct me if I’m wrong about it.

Looks like they haven’t updated the headphones since the 80’s either. Lmao.
                            Last edited by Gtrjunior; 01-19-2019, 05:13 AM.

Comment

I'm surprised by how many who seems to have gone for the headphone amp rather than for the Rockmodules. To be fair, it was out earlier, but by 1986 the basic Rockmodules should be easy to get, yet people like George Lynch seem to have preferred the handheld version.

Comment

There was a rackmount device that your Rockman (headphone amp version) would fit into... some even modded things so you could tap dance on a footswitch to
                                change the Rockman settings.

If/when I have time I will post a link.

Comment

Working...
                                X