Rockman Tone in 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockman Sound In A Pedal - GOAT Analog Distortion Generator Demo

Get the GOAT Distortion Generator: https://amzn.to/3Kvit23 (affiliate link)▶ MY GUITAR COURSES:"Next Level Hendrix": https://bit.ly/3PylkfS"Shades Of The...

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

• Last weekend i went to the park.

Comment

• That is a nice guitar/amp combo!

Incidentally, I was thinking of reviving this thread. There are some major Rockman revival news coming soon.

Comment

• Not pictured: Rockman X100B

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6294 -768.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	6158083

Comment

• Originally posted by Sirion View Post
            but at this point I am a bit disappointed by how many of the replies are about the thread itself.
            Said replies never surprised me at all; tone isn't a popular topic.

On a gear forum..?

Comment

• Strangely, I never liked that sound, even on the Boston albums.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Strangely, I never liked that sound, even on the Boston albums.
                It’s not a tone that I personally go for, but in the context of Boston I always though Tom’s tone was stellar.

Comment

• I don't know of anyone who makes a Rockman clone these days? Here's a simple to build DIY clone though https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/search?q=rockman

Comment

• Originally posted by LLL View Post

Said replies never surprised me at all; tone isn't a popular topic.

On a gear forum..?
                    There are plenty of discussions about all kinds of gear, amps, instruments, builds and tones, etc. Most members seem to have done their tone chasing and have found ways to get the tones they want. The tone discussions that come up are usually someone trying to cop a new/current player's tone that hasn't been discussed before. Most everything else about tone and gear has already been discussed to death and can be found by searching.

The Rockman has been out of production for decades. Very few even own one, if they ever did. Rockman equipment, used, are at unobtainable price points, particularly considering that Rockman tone can be simulated with several different affordable methods nowadays. But that sound and music isn't played hardly at all anymore, unless you are in a tribute/retro/cover band. You're expecting lively conversation about it? The fact that this thread is still alive after 5 years is about as lively as it possibly could be on any forum, considering the above points.

Comment

• Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                      The Rockman has been out of production for decades. Very few even own one, if they ever did. Rockman equipment, used, are at unobtainable price points, particularly considering that Rockman tone can be simulated with several different affordable methods nowadays.
                      This was indeed my reason for starting the discussion in the first place: this is an iconic sound in its own right, but it seemed to be all but completely ignored by the modeller crowd. A few things have happened since then: there is a Rockman model in the AmpliFire Satch package, and Leon Todd have modelled it pretty well on the Axe-FX III. Oh, and there might be a remake in the making...

Comment

This was indeed my reason for starting the discussion in the first place: this is an iconic sound in its own right, but it seemed to be all but completely ignored by the modeller crowd. A few things have happened since then: there is a Rockman model in the AmpliFire Satch package, and Leon Todd have modelled it pretty well on the Axe-FX III. Oh, and there might be a remake in the making...
                        Also Top Jimi has profiled the Boston sound for the Kemper.

Comment

The Boston debut was the first album I bought with my own money. I will admit to dialing in my EQ like Tom and banging out some Boston riffs here and there. It is a fun tone and nostalgic for me. However, outside of my bedroom I can't think of anywhere I could/would use that setting. Still, you have to give Tom credit even with others recording with the Rockman, like Phil Collin from Def Leppard you can always recognize a Boston song from the guitar tone even if you have never heard the song.

Comment

For the record, I've worked out how to get that tone with multiple devices every year since. (Not exact, but enough to fool most any listener, and enough for me to enjoy playing.)

Mini rig:
                            Pockit Rockit (handles distortion, chorus and reverb) > ADA Digital Delay (I just pick 80ms or 160ms in this case)

Small rack rig
                            Boss CE-3 > SansAmp > Roland SRV-330 (handles both stereo delay and reverb; I have other delays I can use also)

Pedal rig:
                            Marshall Gov'nor > Fulltone Clyde wah > Boss CE-3 > Yamaha SPX90 (reverb and L/R delays, 80ms/160ms, sits in a one-space under the pedalboard)

Currently I'm able to get it a couple different ways with just one Zoom MS50G pedal:
                            MS 1959 (Marshall model) > Chorus > Dual Digital Delay (L 80ms, R 160ms) > Hall Reverb
                            BG Crunch (Mesa model) > Chorus > Dual Digital Delay (L 80ms, R 160ms) > Hall Reverb

The Zoom actually can get really close to the original sound, even seems to have some of the vintage hiss when everything is wah-EQ'd like Scholz' stuff.

With certain gear lineups I've actually found it to sound better/more like the Rockman when the chorus is after the delays so that the chorus sweep doesn't get clouded with the repeats.

Comment

Oh, and there might be a remake in the making...
                              What is this remake you speak of? Links to announcement?

Comment

• The Rockman units were pretty low fidelity. If they were built today and without the nostalgia they wouldn't be judged too kindly.
                                Last edited by idsnowdog; 03-16-2022, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X