Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home playing and recording

Hello!

I'm going to start recording myself and I'm looking for cheap yet quality audio interface, can you give me some suggestions?

Requirements:
    -2 channels will be ok (vocal mic + guitar)
    -MIDI would be welcomed
    -USB

Also what is the best software for playing guitar? I'm going to get rid of my amp and pedals and go full digital. I know that it would be best to simply buy Helix, but I'm on a rather tight budget. Next option would be Boss Katana 100, but does it have something, that interface + PC doesn't have? Except power stage and speakers ofc.

What guitar oriented software would give me the best results? Will the latency be a problem?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!
    Gibson SG Standard with Seth Lover neck/bridge hybrid with A3 in neck & Brobucker with A3 in bridge
    -> Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 -> Reaper -> Helix Native -> Celestion IRs -> Yamaha HPH-MT8

Less is more

Re: Home playing and recording

Line 6 has Helix plugin software coming soon, IIRC was going to be $400. Latency depends on a bunch of factors, like your interface's sample rate/bit depth and latency. Celestionplus.com has some great Impluse Responses [speaker emulations for modellers & direct recording], a lot of people are very excited about them, particularly in combo with the Helix. Line 6 also has a free allure set on their website.

Be wary of no-name guitar interface dongles. I snagged one because it was stupid cheap, it rolls everything off above 1KHz or so. Ugh. Waste of even the tiny amount I spent.

M-Audio 2x2m seems to have the right features at $149, if you need all in one box.

If price is more of a concern, I'd look at something like an iConnectivity Mio 1x1 USB MIDI Interface for $36 and a Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 for $40. 2 boxes, but cuts price very nearly in half. May be other boxes that are better, but those were well-recommended for the price on MusiciansFriend.com

There's also some USB mixers that might do the job, if you want more channels, and with a separate midi interface, still come in cheaper than the all-in-one.
    Last edited by Despair; 07-17-2017, 04:22 AM.

Comment

I must take a closer look on this Helix plugin, sounds very interesting.

When it comes to price I'm looking for something in a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 range. I don't want to buy crap, because I know that sooner or later I will have to buy a new one.
      Gibson SG Standard with Seth Lover neck/bridge hybrid with A3 in neck & Brobucker with A3 in bridge
      -> Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 -> Reaper -> Helix Native -> Celestion IRs -> Yamaha HPH-MT8

Less is more

Comment

Digitech RP 100 Series and up
        New they come with usb interface for pc
        Recording software
        Headphone jack
        Drum loops
        And Mic input
        You'll have to.check the specs on the Mic input it may be only on the 350 and up

My GNX3000 has all that
        RP500 has all that
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The Scarlett is a good product, I've had the older version of the M-Audio M-Track it was inexpensive, but works good,has lasted a few years so far and came with good software. Mine came with Ableton Live 8, the later ones came with Pro Tools, and the current M-Track 2×2 mentioned above comes with Cubase and a few virtual instrument plugins
          sigpic
          Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

I have four Scarlett interfaces, from the Solo up to the 18i20, on different computers around the house. No complaints.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen is almost exactly what you're asking for, but I was using it to hook a mic up to, so I'm not doing any modeling through it, just recording from the front of the cabinet.

Comment

One caveat on the Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen is that it doesn't appear to have MIDI IO, and costs as much as the M-Audio that does.

Getting separates that focus on particular capabilities is sometimes better. M-Audio had a great reputation the last time I looked into things, but that was a while back. I don't know how the 2i2 (2g) compares to the 2x2m for sound quality, specs are similar, but specs aren't everything. Casing might be more durable, but that's a tradeoff for topmounted large, more widely spaced knobs. Which may or may not be desirable depending on how and where you are using it.

Comment

I use a M audio mobile Pre its the older one and use free Audia City to record on!
                  tone slut
                  Marshall DSL 40C
                  Fender EVH Striped Series
                  Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                  Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                  Mogami cables

Comment

So... Either M audio or Focusrite. I will have to see what is cheaper and maybe try one in store. Thanks a lot guys!

Less is more

Comment

checkout craigslist like I did or GC used section
                      tone slut
                      Marshall DSL 40C
                      Fender EVH Striped Series
                      Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                      Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                      Mogami cables

Comment

And Reverb.

99% of all MIDI is done through USB now. The Mio USB to MIDI I/O cable works great and is very affordable.
                        Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 07-18-2017, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Just seen this vid the other day. $99

Comment

GC and Reverb are all great... if you live in US. Unfortunately I live in Poland and I've got limited choices.

Less is more

Comment

Originally posted by majewsky View Post
                              GC and Reverb are all great... if you live in US. Unfortunately I live in Poland and I've got limited choices.
                              Ah, didn't notice that. Bummer! Probably better off going new in that case.

Comment

Working...
                              X