banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another DPDT switch bites the dust...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another DPDT switch bites the dust...

What's up with these things?

A couple of years ago I had to replace the on/off DPDT switch in a EHX Metal Muff, it went belly up in less than a year.
    Last night my Jet City Afterburner's on/off bit the dust as well. It wasn't gigged/bashed up and I'm a reasonably careful owner.
    It's always the same ****ing DPDT switches. I got a replacement but I ran out of solder, so I'll replace it during the weekend.

Are DPDT switches crap? Pedals usually carry crap switches and I have to splurge a bit for a long lasting unit?
    Please enlighten me, cuz I've got no idea what's going on here.

EDIT: Oops. Move to the Pedal forum please.
    Last edited by Diego; 07-19-2017, 07:45 PM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Re: Yet another DPDT switch bites the dust...

"Stomp" switch? Yes, they are all garbage now. According to Brian Wampler it was by far the highest warranty item, hence the across the board redesign to a soft switch and relay. (With no price increase)
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      "Stomp" switch? Yes, they are all garbage now. According to Brian Wampler it was by far the highest warranty item, hence the across the board redesign to a soft switch and relay. (With no price increase)
      Good to know.
      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Yeah, they are much less reliable now... As a guy who's built a lot of pedals and sold many: as a builder you can either buy a cheaper footswitch from china for about 1$-2$ (that's for the quantities I was buying in bulk, I assume builders with bigger numbers can get them a bit cheaper) and pass on the savings to the customer, or buy a real "carling" made in USA one for 5-6$ and therefore increase the price by this much.

Considering the price, you're much better selling your product 5$ cheaper (especially now that every pedal out there is ridiculously expensive compared to the joyo copies) and hope for the best. Those that eventually you have to replace will cost you another 2$ and you're done for a while. They don't all fail but yes, they do fail more often now...

Comment

The last replacement stomp switch I bought busted out the bottom in less than a week. That was over 20 years ago. I've got a scavenged stomp switch from an old grey 80s MXR pedal that works like a champ.
          Originally posted by Brown Note
          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
          My Blog

Comment

This is where Visual Sound pedals smoke every other one I've played. The switches are silent, soft, and designed to withstand some ridiculous number of stomps. (I think they changed the name from Visual Sound, but you guys know what I mean.)

Comment

Working...
            X