Cab upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cab upgrade

Depends on whether you want to stick with x formation. If you do, then id swap the g12t75 out for g12k100 or creamback
    EBMM Monarchy Majesty 6 Purple (DiMarzio Sonic Ecstasies)
    Jackson Soloist AT Indigo Storm HT6 (BKP Juggernauts)
    Jackson Soloist Slime Green FR6 (Duncan Custom B/59B N)
    Fender MIM Fat Strat Sunburst (Stock)
    PRS Archon
    Line 6 Helix -> Powerstage

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
      Mess uses 3/4" and Marshall uses 5/8".

As far as other things go, I used to have a set of Chinese V30s and own 10 Brit V30s. The Chinese V30s we're basically a smoother version of their British counterparts. Me, personally, I would recommend trying Eminence Legend V12s. in that Marshall. I have a 1960b with V12 and Eminence Soldano (basically a darker V12) speakers. It cuts like a hot knife through butter and the bass is tiiiiiight. I can crank up the bass with any of my amps through that cab and it doesn't fart out, and the top end isn't piercing like a Celestion V30 can get and like a G12T75 is. I'm probably also going to try my pair of Texas Heats in there in place of the Soldanos to make it a little more throaty.
      From the Mesa Hollywood website:
      MESA/Boogie Rectifier® Cabinet Designs are known worldwide for their HUGE sound. These Closed Back Enclosures are Tight, Punchy and Incredibly Articulate. Each come stock with our Custom, English made Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. Made with 5/8" ply void-free, marine grade, Baltic Birch ply. Super strong rabbet corners are glued and nailed and all backs are gasket sealed to ensure an air-tight seal. Baffles are fitted with superior dado joint construction and braced. Grilles are wrapped around a separate grille board, not the baffle board. Grille material is made of strong twisted jute dipped in a special coating that filters top end for a sweeter response. If you need a cabinet that not only suits your playing style but enhances it, then plug your amp into a Rectifier cab!

Now it does seem I was wrong on the Marshalls,,,,,which use 15mm as opposed to about 16mm (5/8") for the Mesa cabs.

Well at least my Avatar is 3/4",,,,,,,,,,, although with less density it probably works out about the same as far as mass/weight goes.

Now as far as v30 versions, I've always thought the Mesa versions were the darkest and smoothest, the China-made were the middle-ground, and the Marshall-vintage was the brightest and brashest.
      Last edited by dave74; 09-06-2017, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadandBuried View Post
        Not overly sold on Zilla I'm not sure what wood they use and how heavy they will be as that will affect the low end.

Plus I kinda need a right here right now cab I think with custom orders it'll take a while.
        If that's the case then a recto 2x12 is a solid choice
        Guitars:
        Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
        PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
        ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
        Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
        Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
        Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
        Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
        Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
        Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
          From the Mesa Hollywood website:
          MESA/Boogie Rectifier® Cabinet Designs are known worldwide for their HUGE sound. These Closed Back Enclosures are Tight, Punchy and Incredibly Articulate. Each come stock with our Custom, English made Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. Made with 5/8" ply void-free, marine grade, Baltic Birch ply. Super strong rabbet corners are glued and nailed and all backs are gasket sealed to ensure an air-tight seal. Baffles are fitted with superior dado joint construction and braced. Grilles are wrapped around a separate grille board, not the baffle board. Grille material is made of strong twisted jute dipped in a special coating that filters top end for a sweeter response. If you need a cabinet that not only suits your playing style but enhances it, then plug your amp into a Rectifier cab!

Now it does seem I was wrong on the Marshalls,,,,,which use 15mm as opposed to about 16mm (5/8") for the Mesa cabs.

Well at least my Avatar is 3/4",,,,,,,,,,, although with less density it probably works out about the same as far as mass/weight goes.

Now as far as v30 versions, I've always thought the Mesa versions were the darkest and smoothest, the China-made were the middle-ground, and the Marshall-vintage was the brightest and brashest.
          Interesting. I could've sworn Mesa used to use 3/4". Oh well. And I've never heard the Marshall labeled V30s, so I have no reference there. But in regards to the ones in my Mesa cabs, they're all old enough that they aren't Mesa labeled. They were all made before Celestion started making a Chinese V30, and they all have more top end sizzle and are more crisp in the mids than the Chinese V30s I used to own.
          Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
            Interesting. I could've sworn Mesa used to use 3/4". Oh well. And I've never heard the Marshall labeled V30s, so I have no reference there. But in regards to the ones in my Mesa cabs, they're all old enough that they aren't Mesa labeled. They were all made before Celestion started making a Chinese V30, and they all have more top end sizzle and are more crisp in the mids than the Chinese V30s I used to own.
            They still don't even re-label the MesaV30 like they do for the c90 blackshadow, but the number-code on the side of the cone is exclusive to Mesa.
            Maybe Mesa did use 3/4" before the recto-cabs became their mainstay. I've never owned a halfback or mark-era cab.

Comment

Working...
            X