banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for the Splawn players (or anyone, really)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question for the Splawn players (or anyone, really)

I might need to try some tube action in mine. It's still all stock.

I do think that some of it comes down to ear fatigue, etc. I can relate to plugging it in but not really liking how it's sounding. Usually on those days I plug into the Fender or Mesa and I'm happy.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The Chinese stock tubes are really gainy but there are a lot of "artifacts" in the background. The JJ seemed to really clean up the overall tone while still cranking out plenty of gain.
      Right now iirc:
      Pres: 9-10
      Bass:10-11
      Mid:9-10
      Treble: off
      Gain00
      Gear 3, OD2
      It's sounding massive and articulate with plenty of punch and feel (B+ switch is on).
      Just for he hell of it I might see what an additional JJ in V3 sounds like.
      And I'm still not 100% sure about V1. I'll live with what's there for a little while before I swap again.

Comment

Correction....here's the settings:

Comment

3rd Gear, Gain at 2:00, wow!
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            3rd Gear, Gain at 2:00, wow!
            Yup...that's the stuff right there. Lol
            What do your typical settings look like?

I wish you could switch between 1st and 3rd gear though...that would be perfect for me.

Comment

Looks like what I last had dialed in was 2nd Gear, gain around 11 o'clock, treble and mid 2:30, bass 10:30 and presence way back. Sometimes I go first gear with the gain around 9:00 for more classic rock sounds.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

2nd gear is pretty killer too. It has more of a bass response than 1st and 3rd.
                I love the extra compression in 3rd gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                  So I just went downstairs and did a little tube rolling...
                  I put a JJ in V2 and I immediately loved it. Nice and smooth yet aggressive.
                  Next I tried a JJ in the PI. Although it sounded good and I liked it, I felt like the Sovtek LPS actually was a little better. So it went back in.
                  I left the P.M. Tubes in V3. Once I swapped in the JJ in V2, I thought it sounded really good as is so I didn't want to over think it.
                  I went back and forth with V1. I tried a TAD, an EH, JJ and the Tung-sol. I couldn't decide between the JJ and the TS. The TS had really nice clarity and high end but I felt that it somehow affected the OD channel by brightening it up in a way I wasn't digging. I ended up with the JJ for now.
                  Thanks for some good advise. As of right now I'm really liking how it is sounding!!
                  No problem, I'm glad it worked for you. But I'd still give the Mullard RIs a try. Like I said above, to my ears they sound alot like the Tung-Sol RIs, but without the sharp top end.
                  Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Yeah, I'll have to grab a couple. Might be just what I'm looking for in V1...

Comment

Im pretty much always happy with my quick rod except with a couple of my guitars... SO, I believe its a pickup issue. My V with Dirty Fingers isnt thrilling me.

love your head! Mine is just black tolex. I should try some tube rolling in mine to see what I come up with.. I cant think what Im even using..Stock preamp tubes I think.. Swapped power tubes cuz it was making noise, but it was my fault cuz I was using the effects loop gain as a master and cranking too loud..
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Question for the Splawn players (or anyone, really)

Thanks! I went through a couple sets of pickups before I settled on the Super Distortion/PAF 36th Anny combo. But I definitely feel that it's a picky amp. You've got to have the right pups, speakers, fx etc.
                        but when the mojo is working, man it's glorious!! Lol
                        My preamp tubes have all been swapped out at one point or another but I'm still running the stock power tubes. I really don't have any problem with them. They sound good and function properly. Plus with Scott's numbering system, it's foolproof.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                          Thanks! I went through a couple sets of pickups before I settled on the Super Distortion/PAF 36th Anny combo. But I definitely feel that it's a picky amp. You've got to have the right pups, speakers, fx etc.
                          but when the mojo is working, man it's glorious!! Lol
                          My preamp tubes have all been swapped out at one point or another but I'm still running the stock power tubes. I really don't have any problem with them. They sound good and function properly. Plus with Scott's numbering system, it's foolproof.
                          I haven't found a pickup mine didn't like. And I have several different Duncans, a couple guitars with EMG 81/85 sets, Gibson Burstbuckers, & a 500T/496R set. And my MIM Tele has the stock pickups in it.

And speaking of Teles... The clean channel on Splawn amps has a trick up it's sleeve. The two gain stages it has are parallel, and the way it's designed makes it act like a compressor. So when you turn up the gain, you get more compression. More than you do in a normal clean circuit. The right settings really make a Telecaster pop.

Comment

I had a set of BKP Rebel Yell in the LP before and even though they are great pups there was too much high end for the Quickrod. The Dimarzio's in there now are a better fit imo.
                            My Strat has a set of Fokin pickups that sound damn good with the Quickrod.

I'm going to try the Tele trick you mentioned. Did you only notice the extra compression on the Tele (single coil) or have you noticed it with humbuckers too?
                            I typically run an "always on" compressor so I never really noticed.

Comment

It works with any guitar. I just mentioned the Tele because when I think of a compressed clean tone, my mind first goes to a Telecaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                                It works with any guitar. I just mentioned the Tele because when I think of a compressed clean tone, my mind first goes to a Telecaster.
                                After I read your post yesterday, I went down and plugged in the LP and sure enough I noticed it.

Comment

Working...
                                X