banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about changing ANY 12" guitar speaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about changing ANY 12" guitar speaker?

Do it if you can!
    New Celestion Cream day.
    Holy Moly batman! I can hear the heavenly choir!
    Been wondering how much improvement I might get by replacing the Celestion 70/80
    in my solid state Tech 21 Power Engine.
    1st impression is about a zillion percent. It took about 5 minutes of playing time for the speaker to settle in and sound like a fully broken in speaker. Handles a 335 style D'Angelico any pickup...improved the bridge and middle drastically and brought out the full detail I have always liked in the neck position.
    Better wah voicing. Better mod fx a la chorus, tremolo. Sweetened all higher notes with or without extra gain. Had to turn the compressor down to unity gain and reduce amp gain a bit to keep things pristine as this thing wants to grind in a good way.
    So far this speaker is worth every penny. I may have to wait on my new 4x10 amp until I can get alnico 10s because I don't think I wanna be without alnico ever again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Re: Thinking about changing ANY 12" guitar speaker?

new guitar world has a review of this speaker and the neo.. They rave about both...
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Update: Remember I said that I might have to wait on a 4x10 amp because ALNICO? Solution found a new to me Fender Blues DeVille
      with 4 Eminence blue alnicos.
      The cleans are truly epic, but I think I like the sound of the Celestion Cream even more than a tube 4x10 especially for its overall versatility...eg takes overdrives way better than American voiced alnicos. The tube amp will become my backup rig, while the single 12" solid state Tech 21 will be my main rig. Not what I expected but life happens.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, pretty much anything is an upgrade over the 70/80, although it's still not as bad as the old 35W Celestions from the late 80s (G12L-35?).

Comment

I still think the 70/80 is the speaker Celestion makes so that partners can stamp "Celestion" on the cab.

Comment

'xactly, it's their budget OEM speaker.

Comment

I really want an Alnico Celestion speaker in my 1x12 cab.

Comment

Yep, today I ordered a Century Vintage to replace my 7080

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

Just replaced my G12T-75's ('87 Silver Jubilee cab) with a quad of Celestion G12M Heritage Greenbacks. Love them! The UK made G12T-75's aren't bad at all. Way better than the newer China made version, that's for sure. I prefer the forward mids and softer top of the greenbacks.

Comment

Working...
                  X