Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speaker conundrum

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
    If you're after Greenback tone with more open mids & non ice-picky highs...plus more lower mid emphasis & good/tight bass (but overall pretty balanced) check out the Emi Legend GB128. It's an awesome sounding & really versatile Brit-voiced speaker for any sort of cab. And it'll save you some $$ too
    I looked at those, seemed like a perfect fit, but I couldn't find much info about them aside of marketing hype.

That useless V128 version got me rather vary of their Legend series...
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I’m telling you:
      Splawn Small Blocks

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
        I’m telling you:
        Splawn Small Blocks
        Doesn't seem to be sold in Europe...
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
          Doesn't seem to be sold in Europe...
          Yeah, that’s a possibility. The only place I’m aware of to purchase them is through Splawn.

About 25 items down on the left.

Comment

I can only tell you what I like and that’s the 75 Hz. Celestion G12H30.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
              Yeah, that’s a possibility. The only place I’m aware of to purchase them is through Splawn.

About 25 items down on the left.
              Seems like a great bang for the buck, just 95 dollars?

Though with shipping + taxes, it would be at least 150 euros...

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                I can only tell you what I like and that’s the 75 Hz. Celestion G12H30.
                Have you tried 55hz? I'd be interested to hear if there's distinctive difference.

Comment

Seems like a great bang for the buck, just 95 dollars?

Though with shipping + taxes, it would be at least 150 euros...
                  Email Scott Splawn and ask him to quote you a shipping charge. Can’t hurt!

Comment

Have you tried 55hz? I'd be interested to hear if there's distinctive difference.
                    I own both. I don’t like the 55 Hz as much. Doesn’t seem as bright and lively. It was originally a bass speaker right? And the rap was that Hendrix played The Wind Cries Mary through Noel Redding’s Marshall bass amp.

To each his own and all that, and it’s good.... but I don’t like it as much as the 75 Hz version.
                    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Ok. I got the G12H's I bought couple of days ago.

Seller's announcement (is this the correct word?) was a bit messy: I thought them to be in mint condition, but when I opened the package, they were brand new: Still in unopened factory bags.

So now I have to break them in. Apparently it's supposed to take quite a long time with these speakers?

It's actually surprisingly good straight out of the box. A bit stiff and lifeless of course, but I actually like it already more than I liked Greenback, or that Emi Legend.

I've been playing them for couple of hours, and played music through it thourough the day... about 10 hours on them thus far.

Comment

Before you know it they will be broken in. One day you will be playing and realize “damn these speakers sound good!”
                        Congrats! They are great speakers.

Comment

Have around 40 hours on G12H's now. Definite improvement: Tone is mellower and less mid heavy, they do have surprisingly tight and controlled low end. As far as I know these use same cones that Greenbacks, but you would never know that by the tone itself.

Funny thing is that these currently have very similar tone to those 8" Eminences. I A/B'd them yesterday again: G12H of course sounds much bigger. 8" sound boxier, which may have lot to do with small cabs they're fitted in. Eminences also sound bit hazier and mellower, "champ-like". But eq-wise, they're almost the same.

Comment

Working...
                          X