Orange 50th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Orange 50th

I've always wondered what is "the Orange sound". A friend has a Rockerverb which is a great amp, but I don't think it is blatantly unique either. JMO.

I'm not trying to downtalk on Orange amps, I'm just genuinely curious. I have only tried the more contemporary Tiny Terror, Dark Terror, and Rockerverb, but they all have sounded pretty tight and, dare I say, modern. What is it that makes the vintage Orange amps unique? Why is it that people class them as good Stoner/Doom/Sludge platforms as opposed to just all-around rock amps?
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-09-2018, 12:15 PM.

Comment

The "Orange sound" is really debatable. I personally find oranges are darker and more of an "overcast" gain than a marshall. Marshalls have a lot of high and middle frequencies. Oranges give a more balanced and slightly bassier tone which some people enjoy, and some don't. I enjoy it very much. Their clean tones are not super sparkly like a fender, but they are very balecnced well rounded.
      "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
      Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
      Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
      Jackson dx10d
      DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
      MXR Carbon Copy
      MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

Originally posted by PierceOkken View Post
        The "Orange sound" is really debatable. I personally find oranges are darker and more of an "overcast" gain than a marshall. Marshalls have a lot of high and middle frequencies. Oranges give a more balanced and slightly bassier tone which some people enjoy, and some don't. I enjoy it very much. Their clean tones are not super sparkly like a fender, but they are very balecnced well rounded.

Absolutely as the British would say spot on.
        If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

How many people Love and play Orange amps 50 years worth that says it all.
          If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

Originally posted by PierceOkken View Post
            They have this awesome low end grunt without the prominent mids Marshall is known for. And way less smooth than "american" amps. I really like that.
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
              They have this awesome low end grunt without the prominent mids Marshall is known for. And way less smooth than "american" amps. I really like that.
              I can almost always find a clean I can live with. On my Bassman, well just plug in and play at at normal volume and it's perfect. On the Marshall JCM 800, it's sort of the Crunch style clean, so you miss that more sparkly fender stuff, but you get the killer live-amp overdrive that even stacking a couple overdrives in front of the Bassman can't quite develop.

On the Orange I get both. The clean channel is easy to get sparkle and easy to crunch up, and the lead channels is as nice as a overdrive JCM 800, without a dirt box.
              (It's funny that my Fender is a single channel, my Marshall is a single channel, and my Orange is dual channel, and does both).
              My experience is that Fender overdrive channels never sound as good as a Marshall (I was just listening to the Fender SuperSonic clip and that (for me) is a good example of not that great overdrive channel)
              And the Marshall clean channel will never sound as pure true clean just guitar sound as a Fender clean channel.
              But the Orange is very very good at both.
              Recording I might still be tempted to use a Fender for the really pretty pick-every-note-in-the-chord stuff, and the JCM 800 for "kick it hard in the ass" lead, but for live on Orange covers both really pretty nicely.

But MAN it is a beast to move.

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Comment

I have Modelers AxEfx II & Kemper for simpler studio setups, decent tones. My favorite would be IR technology so I still can use my "Tube Amps" and yet I still love my SM57 & R-121 all have a different purpose, for tone and feel "definitely Tubes"

Comment

Good thread. I've been intrigued with Orange for a while now, and I've been eyeing some of their smaller heads, especially the OR15. There's nothing new from Marshall and Vox was never necessarily my thing, so -- Orange.

Does the company that owns the Orange brand make anything in the UK anymore?

Originally posted by nedcronin
                  Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
                  Originally posted by metalmachine
                  dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkstained View Post
                    Good thread. I've been intrigued with Orange for a while now, and I've been eyeing some of their smaller heads, especially the OR15. There's nothing new from Marshall and Vox was never necessarily my thing, so -- Orange.

To my knowledge, AD series is made in UK. I "think" cabs maybe too, but I'm not sure about that.

TH amps and Terror series are chinese.
                    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Inkstained View Post

They still make a bunch of stuff in the UK, mostly their higher end cabs and heads. PPC cabs are from China along with lower end stuff.
                      "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
                      Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
                      Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
                      Jackson dx10d
                      DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
                      MXR Carbon Copy
                      MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

Working...
                      X