banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Here Ever Try The Mojotone Effects Loop Kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Here Ever Try The Mojotone Effects Loop Kit?

Here's a link to it. I was thinking about adding an fx loop to my practice amp so I can use an EQ pedal as a sort of an attenuator. This amp is a hybrid that derives a good bit of its distortion from the preamp tubes and then then rest is solid state. It only has a preamp volume, a three band eq, and then a reverb control, so an effects loop to work as a master volume control would be useful.

Can anyone speak for the quality of this kit? I've gotten quite a bit from Mojotone but none of their amplifier stuff.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: Anyone Here Ever Try The Mojotone Effects Loop Kit?

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
    Here's a link to it. I was thinking about adding an fx loop to my practice amp so I can use an EQ pedal as a sort of an attenuator. This amp is a hybrid that derives a good bit of its distortion from the preamp tubes and then then rest is solid state. It only has a preamp volume, a three band eq, and then a reverb control, so an effects loop to work as a master volume control would be useful.

Can anyone speak for the quality of this kit? I've gotten quite a bit from Mojotone but none of their amplifier stuff.
    Unfortunately I have never ordered it so I can’t. I however also offer a loop that is very high quality and is series/parallel. See pic. You would want to make sure you have a suitable power supply for any aftermarket loop you install.Click image for larger version

Name:	AD8B474F-6D0A-40F9-9BD9-14C7F72855A7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	5805411

Comment

How does series versus parallel affect tone? All my amps use series and I've never given a thought to trying a parallel effects loop.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

I installed one in my JCA20H a few years ago, and it sounds great, much better than the stock loop in my newer JCA50H. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Comment

How does series versus parallel affect tone? All my amps use series and I've never given a thought to trying a parallel effects loop.
          Parallel to me gives a more natural sound since it’s mixing the dry signal in with the wet one, whereas series processes the whole dry sound. The one I linked has two unused pads to either install a series/parallel switch or either jump them for permanent parallel operation or leave them unused for series. I don’t know what mojo sells theirs for, but I offer mine for $45 plus shipping.

Comment

Hmm... I'll consider. The thing I like about the Mojotone is that it has a switch to true bypass it.

Comment

Hmm... I'll consider. The thing I like about the Mojotone is that it has a switch to true bypass it.
              You can install a switch in any loop to bypass it, but Believe it or not, it’s more advantageous to leave any loop in at all times. There are a few reasons for that.

Comment

Like what?

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Voltage View Post
                  You can install a switch in any loop to bypass it, but Believe it or not, it’s more advantageous to leave any loop in at all times. There are a few reasons for that.
                  On all of my effects loops, ALL of them
                  I have a patch cable in them to Jump them out when not in use

Over time every one of the jacks, or more the switch on the jacks
                  That allows them to bypass when not in use
                  Has failed

A bypass switch should be standard
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                    On all of my effects loops, ALL of them
                    I have a patch cable in them to Jump them out when not in use

Over time every one of the jacks, or more the switch on the jacks
                    That allows them to bypass when not in use
                    Has failed

A bypass switch should be standard
                    Bypass switches are in no way immune to that whatsoever, they will fail as well. Likewise there are still 40year old amps with cliff jacks that still work fine. Switching in and out is also slightly worse in terms of perceived loop transparency. A patch cable is good cheap insurance.
                    Last edited by Joey Voltage; 02-21-2018, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Like what?
                      Best case scenario is that the loop is 100% transparent, which is essentially impossible since the loop will have ac components and phase shifts with in it by design, in this scenario switching the loop in and out has no effect on the tone. The next best is to leave the loop in at all times because it can’t possibly affect the sound if it is part of it. In this scenario the only thing that can change the tone are the effects themselves since the loop is static. S/N ratio also stays the same in this scenario.
                      Last edited by Joey Voltage; 02-21-2018, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Would love to buy one from you Joey Voltage. Sent an email. Looks perfect, for what I'm looking for.

Comment

Working...
                        X