Replacing my JCM-800 combo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing my JCM-800 combo.

No worries!!! If we all liked the same things it would be a pretty boring world.

Comment

You could also check out the Mesa Triple Crown 50 watt. Around $1800 it has a really good clean channel that takes pedals well, a classic Marshall style crunch channel, and a lead channel that is perfect for fluid solos and can get really heavy rhythm tones. Has an effects loop, reverb, 6 button footswith, midi, and the CabClone for direct out and recording. It's my favorite amp, as although it has several options it is very plug and play, especially for a Mesa. The build quality is immaculate.

Comment

Id get it fixed or keep an eye out for a jcm900 mkIII combo.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

The Splawn sound reminds me of a highly filtered preamp. JMP-1 and SP-77 comes to mind. Perfect for use with rack effects - not so good as a stand alone amplifier. Would a tweak to the filtering and alternate choke do them justice? A Rockman Sustainor is dry as a bone without its effects, but sounds great once you add some modulation and delay. I didn't try my Splawn amps with effects, so I may have to revisit one some day.

Comment

Granted, amp dynamics, tone, headroom and a lot of other factors are pretty subjective as I think my Fender 68' custom reverb is killer and so is my 81' JCM 800 but for very different reasons and applications. But considering what you've said and having a potentially very similar amp to the one you're replacing/going to have out of commission for a while for a rebuild, I'd be doing some serious looking at a Soldano Hot Rod 50 or 25 depending on how much air you usually move.

It's a killer amp that just has the right voice that's JCM 800 that can breathe fire in a way that's smooth at the same time.... kind of like a really good single malt scotch. I find it takes pedals well and the EQ is voiced just right... especially the presence control (normally with a frequency center that has one good spot and the rest are ugly), the HR series presence is pretty good across the spectrum. there's no MIDI or plethora of channels or voice shifts... but does anyone whose been at it for a while and got a lot of experience under thier belts actually use that stuff?

Hope that helps!

Comment

I had one of the first Soldano Hot Rod 50 amplifiers. I actually liked it better than my SLO 100. Why Soldano doesn't reposition the effects loop is total mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyO View Post
                You could also check out the Mesa Triple Crown 50 watt. Around $1800 it has a really good clean channel that takes pedals well, a classic Marshall style crunch channel, and a lead channel that is perfect for fluid solos and can get really heavy rhythm tones. Has an effects loop, reverb, 6 button footswith, midi, and the CabClone for direct out and recording. It's my favorite amp, as although it has several options it is very plug and play, especially for a Mesa. The build quality is immaculate.
                Thanks. This is at the top of my list now.

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Comment

Originally posted by RockinProf View Post
                  Granted, amp dynamics, tone, headroom and a lot of other factors are pretty subjective as I think my Fender 68' custom reverb is killer and so is my 81' JCM 800 but for very different reasons and applications. But considering what you've said and having a potentially very similar amp to the one you're replacing/going to have out of commission for a while for a rebuild, I'd be doing some serious looking at a Soldano Hot Rod 50 or 25 depending on how much air you usually move.

It's a killer amp that just has the right voice that's JCM 800 that can breathe fire in a way that's smooth at the same time.... kind of like a really good single malt scotch. I find it takes pedals well and the EQ is voiced just right... especially the presence control (normally with a frequency center that has one good spot and the rest are ugly), the HR series presence is pretty good across the spectrum. there's no MIDI or plethora of channels or voice shifts... but does anyone whose been at it for a while and got a lot of experience under thier belts actually use that stuff?

Hope that helps!
                  Thank you, this is helpful. Soldano's are hard to find to play, I think there is a shop in Seattle that has them.
                  I know they are very highly thought of, and I've heard that the "LO" input on the Avenger is an improved JCM 800, while the "HI" inputl is more high-gain Soldano is known for.

The Hot Rod is a two channel, so both are avalable. I'd like to check one out, but they are pricey new and rare used, at least around here.

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                    I had a JVM 210H...HAD.
                    They do sound really good, but I had some unexplained problems with mine.
                    It would work fine at home but once I got to a gig for some reason it wouldn’t give me any volume on the gain channel just a faint amount. But he clean channel worked fine. And my connections were good....I couldn’t figure it out.
                    Sounds vaguely like problems I have with my JCM-800. So, that would be too ironic, to buy a new Marshall for reliability and have the same problems the 35 year old amp has.

Comment

Originally posted by dr0 View Post
                      Thank you, this is helpful. Soldano's are hard to find to play, I think there is a shop in Seattle that has them.
                      I know they are very highly thought of, and I've heard that the "LO" input on the Avenger is an improved JCM 800, while the "HI" inputl is more high-gain Soldano is known for.

The Hot Rod is a two channel, so both are avalable. I'd like to check one out, but they are pricey new and rare used, at least around here.
                      If you're looking for Soldano tone on a budget, the Jet City amps are great. They have maybe the slightest bit more gain and less clarity, but they're very close to Soldano tone and there are several mods you can do to get them closer.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Replacing my JCM-800 combo.

Originally posted by dr0 View Post
                        Sounds vaguely like problems I have with my JCM-800. So, that would be too ironic, to buy a new Marshall for reliability and have the same problems the 35 year old amp has.
                        Yeah, I also have a 1986 JCM 800. The whole reason I got the JVM is so I had a reliable gigging amp!!
                        My JCM has proven to be a workhorse. I’ve never had a single problem with it other than regular maintenance.
                        Last edited by Gtrjunior; 06-04-2018, 03:54 AM.

Comment

You could try the new Marshall Origin series amps. They're a modern amp built for a vintage Marshall vibe. Sound good via youtube etc.

I love JCM800's - my desert island amp. I've noticed some tonal similarities with an Orange AD30 combo though (I don't play high gain).

I'd suggest getting the 800 fixed but spend some time shopping for a new one anyway. If you decide you want something different you can then sell or trade the 800. Or keep it and have both!

Comment

Marshall DSL40CR would do the job.

Comment

Working...
                            X