Damn Peavey's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn Peavey's!

Had some time to kill before Dr's apt the other day, so I stopped by a little antique store for a quick peruse. Found some killer little cars and trucks for my car and truck obsessed 2 year old grand son. Anytime one can find not one, but two Lightening McQueen #95 cars for .75 each, it's a good thing!

On my way out, I spotted a mint, 80's vintage Peavey Audition 110. Since it was marked at $28.00, I didn't ask for a discount. Got it home, plugged it in and other than a few scratchy pot's that were quickly taken care of, it's perfect.

I have a Studio Pro 112 on the same vintage and it's an amazing little amp. I run it stereo with a Monoprice 15 Watt Tube amp and it's a match made in heaven. The Studio Pro has an aftermarket speaker in it, so it's louder, fuller, cleaner and heavier than stock.

Since I was looking for a cheap, lightweight, small but powerful, nice clean headroom, pedal platform amp, I could not pass it up. I have an open invitation to play with a local blue band whenever I show up. Recent health issues have curbed my desire a bit, but the last time I actually felt good enough to join them, the only amps I had at home were my old Crate Taxi 20 and my sweet little Roland Cube Street. While they sound wonderful run together, it's still a bit underpowered in a live situation.

This little Audition will fit the bill quite nicely. Super light, super clean headroom, nice sounding spring reverb and it loves, loves, loves overdrive pedals. If I do need more volume, (which I doubt for the smaller clubs they play) I'll stick an SM57 on it.

Gave it a good run through the other day and it sounds just like it's bigger brothers. I've had several auditions and a few Envoys of various stripes over the years. While I do like the Teal stripe's and the Trans Tube models, I seem to gravitate towards the 80's 'silver stripe' models. The fact that $50 is the mot I've ever paid for one, (a killer Bandit) is gravy.

Seriously, if I had the space, I'd probably have 25-30 Peavey amps. The prices they sell for around here are insane for the tone/volume/quality they provide. It's funny, I WA almost embarrassed to play Peavey products back in the late 80's, early 90's. I looked at it as 'only county bands or those who can't afford the good stuff' play Peavey gear. Geez, how wrong I was.

Re: Damn Peavey's!

Pics or it didn’t happen

Comment

Love me all kinds of Peavey action. But yeah...pics!!!!!
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I remember seeing Skynnyrd with a stage full of Peavey amps and couldn't believe it. I was a diehard Fender amp man at the time.
        "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Still have my first amp, an Audition 20.

My drummer buddy texted me this pic last week, saying he found it by someone’s trash. He cleaned the pots and brought it to our jam last weekend. Couldn’t believe how loud that little effer is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B89079C3-2C12-4598-9BE8-8560677E6EA7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	5806454

Comment

First amp was a bandit 130. When I learned bow great tubes were, I let it go. No doubt for pennies. Maybe nostalgia talking, but that was a great little amp.

Comment

Great find! I love Peaveys! I have 5 of their guitars and always have a couple of their amps in the cave. In fact, am on the hunt for 3 more right now...can never have enough Peaveys!
              Guitars:
              2019 PRS CE24, 2002 Carvin, 2010 Epiphone 335 dot, custom tele, 5 Peavey V Type's (DMZ SD/paf pro, JB/59, JB8/Jazz, EMG 57/66, and Full shred) Esp/Ltd (Invader set), Jackson DKMGT (EMG 81/85)
              Amps: Orange Dual Dark 100, Dark Terror, Micro Dark, CR120, EVH 5153 50w
              Cabs:Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12, EVH 4x12/2x12, Geezer 2x12 with v30's

Comment

Originally posted by SAguitar View Post
                I remember seeing Skynnyrd with a stage full of Peavey amps and couldn't believe it. I was a diehard Fender amp man at the time.
                Those Peavey Mace 160 Watters were loud! And the Skynyrd boys did make them sound good. Saw an interview with Ed King sometime ago. He had nothing but praise for them.

Comment

Peavey's are built like tanks! They never die! Just keep on chugging out pretty decent tone for generations.
                  Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

I'll never own Peavey of Carvin stuff ever again, 0.00 resale, can't give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                      I'll never own Peavey of Carvin stuff ever again, 0.00 resale, can't give it away.
                      Then buy used or don't sell them
                      I have Peavey and Carvin
                      Bought the Carvins new with no intention of resale
                      The Peaveys were used because of the great deal
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                        Then buy used or don't sell them
                        I have Peavey and Carvin
                        Bought the Carvins new with no intention of resale
                        The Peaveys were used because of the great deal

No thanks.

Comment

^^^^ Looks like you have a brand in mind
                          What is it
                          Right on the tip on my........
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

To be honest i had a couple Peavey Vandenberg guitars and they were nice but one trick ponies, i had a Rock Master Preamp & a 60/60 Power Amp rack setup, again kinda nice but very one dimensional.

I had two Carvin 4x12's with V30's i tried to like [hard] but when it came to sell this stuff NOBODY WANTED IT.

Gibson, Fender & Marshall are hard enough to sell but Carvin & PV stuff just doesn't move.

All those guitars above are gone like 10 years ago.
                            Last edited by JMP/HBE; 05-16-2018, 02:06 PM.

Comment

The old (pre-modeling era) Peavy solid state stuff was great. I personally like the black/silver transtube stuff the most, but even the old teal Bandits gave VERY serviceable tones.
                              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X