Screaming Demons of ECC83s/12AX7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screaming Demons of ECC83s/12AX7

That's pretty much it, what brand of these has gain characteristics associated with Screaming Demon into a hot EL34 amp? My #1 has a fullshred, my #2 is likely to have S-Deco or PG, but reading comparisons of S-Deco to Screaming Demon I though it would be interesting if these pups went into a pre-amp with characteristics of Screaming Demon .... Hopefully this does not sound too idiotic ...

Thanks.
    Active Duty Rig:
    MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
    Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Re: Screaming Demons of ECC83s/12AX7

I'm not sure if one can compare the character of a pickup to the character of a pre-amp tube.
    Anybody else?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      I'm not sure if one can compare the character of a pickup to the character of a pre-amp tube.
      Anybody else?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
      Right. To me, the slightly more applicable question is which tone-stack the preamp has, rather than the tube - but that’s still a difficult comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Nevertheless i try an answer: Shuaguang 12ax7b (selected for gain) its a screaming demon beast
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

What are characteristics of a Screaming Demon we're talking about? Not very high-gain and bright?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            What are characteristics of a Screaming Demon we're talking about? Not very high-gain and bright?
            Tight but moderate low end, very detailed when pushed, complex mid range, bright.
            Active Duty Rig:
            MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
            Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
              Tight but moderate low end, very detailed when pushed, complex mid range, bright.
              Tung-Sol or Electroharmonix. Anyone who says JJ is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                Nevertheless i try an answer: Shuaguang 12ax7b (selected for gain) its a screaming demon beast
                Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                Tung-Sol or Electroharmonix. Anyone who says JJ is wrong.
                Definitely not JJ; I find them to be rather dark sounding and only like them in REALLY bright amps like my Jet City JCA22H. The Shuguang 12AX7 is quite the bright, trebly screamer, but they have boatload of gain too. EHs are tight and detailed when pushed, and they have good mids too. Tung-Sols are similar, but a bit more gain; I use them in V1 in most of my amps.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I disagree about EH's being tight. They're clear and bright with LOTS of highs and upper mids (kinda harsh), very scooped low mids, a big (to the point of boomy IMO) low-end, and a slightly smeared pick attack. Honestly, for high-gain, they're my least favorite.

Tung Sols are tighter/drier and also less harsh while still maintaining the bright/clear footprint, but they're pretty high-gain. Not overly compressed, IMO, but still pretty fierce. Kinda scoopy but "complex" too. I'm thinking these are maybe close to what you want?

Shuguang 9th gens are grainy with a cool upper-mid rasp and a relatively big but controlled bottom-end. Pretty gainy/fierce, though.

Mullard CV4004's (the short plate ones) are to me like a cross between the Chinese 9th Gens and the Tung-Sol. It's in the same bright/clear family as the EH and Tung Sol, but it's got a hint of that Chinese mid grind. Very cool tube, my personal favorite. Take a look into those as well.

The Shuguang Mullard-style (same as Ruby C7's and Genalex standard-pin) are fat, round, and mid-focused. Not as grindy or grainy as the more popular 9th Gens.

JJ's I wouldn't say are dark, but they're definitely slightly scooped in the high-mids and with juicy low mids that don't extend into the deepest lows. They're smooth but focused, tight, and squishy with a hint of rasp. So not those either.

That's ECC83S's, though. ECC803S's are kinda like the opposite with a very open frequency response and not as compressed. Maybe look into those as well.

JMO.
                  Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 05-11-2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X