Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tungsol 6L6GC STR

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
    I bias my own amps i will be using a Compu-bias. This vendor is familiar with my needs. I should be fine, ive bought several matched quads with no issues from him before.

It pays to be a tube snob ...
    Compubias looks cool, in that case let us know how the new tubes sound
    Sometimes power tubes even just of different brands can make such a huge impact on sound!

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
      Compubias looks cool, in that case let us know how the new tubes sound
      Sometimes power tubes even just of different brands can make such a huge impact on sound!
      Amen to that. Whenever i get a new amp i always re-tube it so i know what im dealing with/no surprises. One of the things i learned is alot of people put in their crappiest tubes when selling an amp, but not everyone.
      I will say for being biased cold the current Sovtek 6L6WXT+ ripp .... >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
        The Mesa range is pretty broad. The Mesa Sovtek 6L6WXT+ i have in there now are green & bias very cold. 70% dissapation would be 51ma or so and they're at 31ma.
        The Mesa color codes are basically a matching system for sets of tubes from everything ive read.
        Many people run other than Mesa tubes in their Boogies.
        If MESA carried a matched quad of the Tungsols i would have snagged them but they don't.
        That has to do more with tube vendor supply marketing than the specs of the amps.
        They don't need to be a matched quad, only the pairs need to match. (if using all mesa tubes)
        You can run a pair of yellows with a pair of greens or whatever, just keep the pairs split properly (inner/outer)

The difference in the color codes is minuscule, and all the colors fall within a narrow range(relatively speaking), and they all bias fairly cold.
        Last edited by dave74; 06-25-2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X