New amp day BOOGIE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New amp day BOOGIE!

There are 2 mandatory mods to this amp. Converting the parallel loop to series, and removing a resistor to get rid off huge increase of volume.

Comment

Boogies are well-built amplifiers, but their transparency makes them unforgiving when it comes to guitars and pickups. Boogie amps (IMO) sound best when paired with guitars equipped with EMG pickups.
      Last edited by 67Mopar; 08-22-2018, 09:07 AM.

Comment

what? i dont find that to be true at all. if an amp is "transparent" shouldnt a great guitar sound great?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          what? i dont find that to be true at all. if an amp is "transparent" shouldnt a great guitar sound great?
          The tonal quality of a guitar has nothing to do with my comment.

Comment

Dunno, I think not all Boogies are alike. My Blue Angel is really just a combo of an old Deluxe and AC30 (6v6 & EL84s), and it actually sounds the best with more vintage output pickups.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Dunno, I think not all Boogies are alike. My Blue Angel is really just a combo of an old Deluxe and AC30 (6v6 & EL84s), and it actually sounds the best with more vintage output pickups.
              My Electra Dyne is the same way, my MkV doesn't really care it sounds great with anything
              sigpic
              Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

The Blue Angel is not a Boogie.

Comment

Originally posted by 67Mopar View Post
                  How so?

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Sigh...

Comment

Absolutely agree that Boogies can be quite different amp series to amp series. The DC 5 and my Subway Rocket seem similar in many ways which makes sense ss they are both from the same era.
                      These i use with effects in the loop and they respond well with both high gain passive active pickups and also more vintage gain pickups. Not super high gain amps but very expressive and versatile.
                      The DC 5 is a LOT like the .50 cal pluss head i had but has 2 completely separate sets of controls for each channel ( hence DUAL CALIBER 5!!) and solving the issues with the .50 cal +.
                      Guitars
                      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

REALLY?? Than what is it? Yes it is not a cascading super high gain amp like a Mark but is still 100% a BOOGIE.
                        the entire front end of a Rectifier series amp is a Mike Soldano design not Aspen Pittman but they are still 100% BOOGIES!!!
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                          REALLY?? Than what is it? Yes it is not a cascading super high gain amp like a Mark but is still 100% a BOOGIE.
                          the entire front end of a Rectifier series amp is a Mike Soldano design not Aspen Pittman but they are still 100% BOOGIES!!!
                          Only the Mark series amplifiers are Boogie amps. All other amps are MESA.
                          Last edited by 67Mopar; 08-25-2018, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Semantics. The manual is branded Mesa/Boogie. Good enough for me.

Comment

All Mesas make me want to boogie,,,,,,,so be glad I don't post vids of myself!!!

Comment

Semantics. The manual is branded Mesa/Boogie. Good enough for me.
                                Mesa/Boogie is the corporate title. I've tried several of their MESA amplifiers. I prefer the Boogie Mark I and II. I really dig the low-watt "tweedish" sounds in the Mark V, but the rest are just okay.

Comment

Working...
                                X