How to Sound Like Van Halen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Sound Like Van Halen

I thought since the EVH bug has been going around, I might as well put this video on our forum. This guy has loads of other good videos about tonewood, speakers, and other things if anyone cares to look.

You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: How to Sound Like Van Halen

Ed's amp was Jose modded no matter what John Suhr sez.

Dave Friedman admitted it was modded and has overhauled that amp back to stock.

You can see the MV pot stem in photos for yourself.

Its not Astrophysics, its an amp.

"Many guitar players first became aware of amp mods from Eddie Van Halen. Everything Eddie touched turned to gold at the time, and when he mentioned in an interview that his Marshalls were modified by the Jose Arredondo, Arredondo’s business exploded. That helped break modding into the mainstream, and gave Arredondo’s contemporaries a bottom line to launch their businesses from."

The innovators behind the high–gain amp craze all learned their crafts on other company's circuits.

The real story isn't EVH but the Men who builts the amps we all love.
    Last edited by JMP/HBE; 08-09-2018, 08:18 AM.

Comment

kinda think...like...if you can play like Van Halen then you can pick your sound....if you can't play like him then what's the point???

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
        Tell that to Mike Soldano too (Start at around 8:30 if the embedded doesn't):

TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Only sure fire way to sound like Van Halen

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post

https://youtu.be/UBIcicqIfCM?t=8m33s
            Or Reignhold Bogner or Mark Cameron, who saw pictures of it reinhold snapped when he worked for Bogner. Also other accounts of it from techs in the 80’s that while it had a few oddities in it at that time, it wasn’t far off the grid.

Comment

Those in the know figured out that Ed did have a pair of JBL D120s in his cab (1st album, anyways).

This contributes to the high end "sizzle" (ceramic mag'd SH-5 as well) found only on the 1st album. This album tone is actually
              pretty bright by comparison to the rest.

First clip (Runnin' With The Devil) is using JBL D120 iRs.

Second clip (Panama - different era of course) is using Greenback iRs.

I have snippets of the actual pre-production RWTD (tapped off the speaker cab); one clip JBL and one clip Celestion.
              Anybody interested let me know.
              Last edited by LLL; 08-09-2018, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Dave Friedman admitted it was modded and has overhauled that amp back to stock.

You can see the MV pot stem in photos for yourself.

Its not Astrophysics, its an amp.

"Many guitar players first became aware of amp mods from Eddie Van Halen. Everything Eddie touched turned to gold at the time, and when he mentioned in an interview that his Marshalls were modified by the Jose Arredondo, Arredondo’s business exploded. That helped break modding into the mainstream, and gave Arredondo’s contemporaries a bottom line to launch their businesses from."

The innovators behind the high–gain amp craze all learned their crafts on other company's circuits.

The real story isn't EVH but the Men who builts the amps we all love.
                That’s never been confirmed, and is wildly speculation still. It also has been speculated that it is a line out that was added, as EVH used that extensively as well through his career. Even if Jose did mod it, the question is which mod, and how much was changed? It could have been something as simple as the line out or MV added. What people seem to overlook is that Jose did more than just that one diode clipper mod Friedman, Cameron, voodoo, fortin, and everyone under the sun copied. He was known for many different circuits back in his day.

Point is that there’s no way it will probably ever be verified. Even if it were who’d believe it?

Comment

Who's Jim Brown ? lol.

Comment

Not commenting on the Van Halen argument right now, but Johan Segeborn's videos are very thoughtful and informative. The guy is one of my fave's.
                    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                      Not commenting on the Van Halen argument right now, but Johan Segeborn's videos are very thoughtful and informative. The guy is one of my fave's.
                      His mass versus sustain video has got to be the most informative video on the subject.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Man, those JBL's sound atrocious on their own, but they mix great with the GB's.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post

https://youtu.be/UBIcicqIfCM?t=8m33s

Ed has had ALOT of amps, many of which were anything but stock. On their first VH Tour of Japan, Pan Am Airlines lost ALL OF ED'S AMPS COMING BACK FROM JAPAN. Eddie would love you to believe there were nothing more than stock amps on the records but we all no different. Next you're going to tell me he plugs straight into the front with no pedals.

Don't forget ed has been on a steady diet of Nicotine, Heinken & Cocaine for about 45 years.

If you read Sammys book Sam sez the defining moment for him was when Ed tried to bash out a window in the cabin of their Privte Jet @ 30,000 feet in a drunken rage.

I take very little of what Ed sez as the truth.
                          Last edited by JMP/HBE; 08-09-2018, 10:45 AM.

Comment

No doubt Eddie has been a well known bull****ter, nobody is arguing that, but a lot of the accounts don’t come from Eddie. There have also been numerous people who have played through his rig, like Steve vai and I believe both dweezel and Nuno as well, and they all seem to have a similar account. Also the biggest thing to keep in mind is that, THAT tone or sound wasn’t very important even to the man himself. He went out of his way to ditch it after the first album. Chances are it probably didn’t sound as good in person as it did after the studio worked it’s magic on it.

Comment

A big part of the whole "where did he get all that gain with a stock Marshall" schtick is the fact that in 1968, Marshall was (randomly) slapping a .68uF cap on V2 in their Lead amps from the factory. Apparently they only did this for a year or two. This provides a good boost. I did it to mine when I modded my JTM45RI to '68 Plexi specs.

Used in conjunction with a hot humbucker (SH-5), and there's plenty of gain on tap (pun intended) for Ed histrionics - plugged straight in.
                              Last edited by LLL; 08-09-2018, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X