Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to Sound Like Van Halen

Originally posted by Joey Voltage View Post
    That’s never been confirmed, and is wildly speculation still. It also has been speculated that it is a line out that was added, as EVH used that extensively as well through his career. Even if Jose did mod it, the question is which mod, and how much was changed? It could have been something as simple as the line out or MV added. What people seem to overlook is that Jose did more than just that one diode clipper mod Friedman, Cameron, voodoo, fortin, and everyone under the sun copied. He was known for many different circuits back in his day.

Point is that there’s no way it will probably ever be verified. Even if it were who’d believe it?
    Its no line out its a single pot, no jack. Get real man. Hmmm now why would anyone put a Pot on the back of a NMV Marhall ? Hmmmm I wonder why ... Hmmmm ????

Everything about EVH is Folklore & Conjecture and thats the way he likes it cuz it sells his Products.

I believe thats called MARKETING.
    Last edited by JMP/HBE; 08-09-2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

The sound heard when listening to an album is rarely (if ever) the sound of the amp on its own. The mic, the effects, the mixer used to record, and in the time of VH1, even the TAPE affected the sound. We are hearing the recording tone after all of those components and the engineer and producer have impacted it.
      Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
      https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
      Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

40 years later.....and I still don't care.....I just like the record...what is the big deal with the rest??
        To get a bite of the cake??
        Play in a bleeding coverband?
        Recorded sounds are not how amps sounds^(agrees).....

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
          The sound heard when listening to an album is rarely (if ever) the sound of the amp on its own. The mic, the effects, the mixer used to record, and in the time of VH1, even the TAPE affected the sound. We are hearing the recording tone after all of those components and the engineer and producer have impacted it.
          Yes; the "studio magic".

Which can all be re-created. And has been.

Those of us who really, really love tone study and geek out on these things.
          Last edited by LLL; 08-09-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
            40 years later.....and I still don't care.....I just like the record...what is the big deal with the rest??
            To get a bite of the cake??
            Play in a bleeding coverband?
            Recorded sounds are not how amps sounds^(agrees).....
            Because -

The majority of the time, when "you" heard a killer guitar tone, it was off an album (record, tape, 8-track, CD, MP3, FLAC, etc)...

Some of us out there (myself included) want to know "how did they get killer tone???". It fascinates us... it's a mystery to be solved.

So, we do lots of research, studying, gear combining, testing... not only with guitars, amps & pedals, but
            also studio equipment, mixing and recording techniques. The latter is just as important, if not more so, as the former - it
            is an instrument to learn unto itself... and can be the most expensive aspect.

Once we figure out a tone, we can use that (or a variant of it) for our own stuff, or just for fun.

For example: I used my EVH 1984 tone settings on my solo in this SD collaboration recently; came out great:

Of course, this "phenomenon" (not really) is quite common with recording studio types of persons and the like... which prolly
            makes it seem alien to people who just like to plug in and play guitar but not take things any further.

If you want to sound good on "record" with a polished effort, you either have to pay somebody (recording studio type) or figure it out yourself.

Tone Forensics, if you will.
            Last edited by LLL; 08-09-2018, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Well....dunno maybe I am just not all into that...I wanna make sounds...not copying someone elses!
              I do like reading about stuff, but I cannot be bothered by going into OCD mode over it either....takes way too much time for very little gain, most stuff is logical at a certain point....

Have tried a tons of gear though, as some of my friends are whacky gearheads...haha
              Most of the time you just sound the way you do....
              As for myself...I don't like polished stuff much....I like simple gear that makes me focus on playing, when I play I do not wanna think about anything, I do not swap pedals every week nor amps....

And these days I just play....cannot be bothered by the excessive gear focus, takes too much time away from playing and hearing music....
              People worry to much and gets way too serious about the latest gear trends...madness!
              I like gear, I used to make gear as well....have worked with sound for many years, it is part of music....but I like to keep it in balance!

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                Well....dunno maybe I am just not all into that...I wanna make sounds...not copying someone elses!
                Agreed. As much as I love EVH I have never been in a band/gig where his sound would work for me. If I was in a VH tribute maybe I would put in the work. For me, there are not enough hours in the day to get obsessed with something I could not use practically. I love reading about how he did his thing but I am more focused on doing my own thing.

Comment

What I know about the brown sound is that I spent decades and thousands of $$$ chasing it... and when I finally nailed it, it immediately stopped meaning anything to me. I thought "so I nailed another guy's tone... now what????" I still love Ed's/Ted's VH1 - Fair Warning tones... But I don't care how accurately I cop them or any others any more. MY tone (whatever it is at the moment) is all that matters to me anymore.
                  "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

I sent Dave Friedman a JMP in 2011, i have Acheived the Modded Marshall Nirvana.

Got a MESA couple months ago. really diggin the Dual Rec tones. Dont think Ed ever played a MESA but then i don't care either.

FWIW Ed's Legacy in the Guitar World is safe & un-deniable. Nobody is taking that away from him.
                    Last edited by JMP/HBE; 08-09-2018, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Pete Thorn posted a video a few years ago where he took a stock Marshall Plexi and dimed all the knobs. He had a cab with Greenbacks and a phaser as well. The tone he got was might damn close for a live sound.

People keep trying to nail his recorded tone and forgetting that Ted Templeman and Donn Landee played a big part in getting that sound.

Comment

I hear great tones all the time from my setups. And I bet they would sound even better I I were a more capable guitarist.
                        But I don't spend my time trying to nail anyone else's tone. I'll be inspired by them, and if I get into the ballpark, I figure I'm doing well.
                        It's like when shooters talk about group size. Some are going for sub minute of angle. I'm happy with minute of elk, or whatever it is that I'm aiming at at the time.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                          I hear great tones all the time from my setups. And I bet they would sound even better I I were a more capable guitarist.
                          But I don't spend my time trying to nail anyone else's tone. I'll be inspired by them, and if I get into the ballpark, I figure I'm doing well.
                          It's like when shooters talk about group size. Some are going for sub minute of angle. I'm happy with minute of elk, or whatever it is that I'm aiming at at the time.

I've shot some clover leafs in my lifetime, but considering that my favorite firearms are black and mag-fed... pie plate groups are always the [very achievable] goal. I never post pics of my groups because I don't care what others think of them. Only what I think.
                          "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

Comment

Originally posted by xntrick View Post
                            Pete Thorn posted a video a few years ago where he took a stock Marshall Plexi and dimed all the knobs. He had a cab with Greenbacks and a phaser as well. The tone he got was might damn close for a live sound.

People keep trying to nail his recorded tone and forgetting that Ted Templeman and Donn Landee played a big part in getting that sound.
                            Like all great players, Pete could make a tennis racket sound good.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
                              I've shot some clover leafs in my lifetime, but considering that my favorite firearms are black and mag-fed... pie plate groups are always the [very achievable] goal. I never post pics of my groups because I don't care what others think of them. Only what I think.
                              Pie plate indeed.
                              Works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by xntrick View Post
                                I’ve made this same argument many times here in the last few weeks when all this evh stuff started popping up. It seems to fall on deaf ears.

Comment

Working...
                                X