5881 in bf deluxe reverb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5881 in bf deluxe reverb?

any tried it? i have a pair of new tungsol 5881 that i kinda wanna try in my deluxe. they bias out ok and the power tranny can handle it. thoughts?

Re: 5881 in bf deluxe reverb?

Did you replace the power transformer? Not sure the original would be rated for the heater current draw.

If it did, the 5881s will try to make more power, so it will probably stress your output transformer and speaker.

I could be wrong, but not sure I'd run it that way.

Comment

yes, i swapped a mercury magnetics pt in there. still have the old one but had some issues a while back so swapped both trannys for mm. speaker has also been swapped to a eminence maverick (at the moment, was a crex for years and a g12h-30 before that) again, i have the original but its not as good as any of the others i have put in.

Comment

I would probably talk to someone that has more experience than me. I used to mod amps and stuff, but usually the preamp section and never really did any tube swapping, at least not in the higher power direction.

Comment

I have used a 5881 in my 68 Vibro Champ with no issues. I have also used a pair of 5881s in my Fender SCX2 with no issues. You will draw more heater amperage so there could be a problem. Try it and see if the power transformer gets too hot and that will you know if it is going well or not.

Comment

the pt will handle it since its a mm replacement. i put em it, biased the amp, played for about 15 minutes and it sounded terrific but then chickened out and put the 6v6 back in before the gig. gonna have to revisit it though

Comment

Waiting for the final performance review of the 5881 retry.
              I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

totally will happen, been travelling for work so havent had a chance to pop em back in

Comment

Working...
                X