Fender Bassbreaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fender Bassbreaker

Just played my new 15 again the other day, this time for several hours using humbucking guitars (G&L Ascari GTS and 2004 Les Paul Standard, both stock).

I like the amp even more now, as I get used to it. It's tighter than my other 15 watters. The controls are good, and I am getting used to the e.q. bands. I ended up using the bright switch for both humbucker equipped guitars.

I don't think I will ever use the high gain mode. I hardly have any use for the middle gain mode, even when I want to play dirty.

It doesn't have a ton of "balls." But the tones are great.

We shall see how long the EL-84's hold up, as I end up diming or nearly diming the master in order to get what I want from the amp. IME, modern EL-84's can be blown out very quickly in some amps (my Mesa eats them at an astonishing pace).

I think the new 30 watter could theoretically take this amp to the next level, if the pre-amp is basically the same. An extension cab definitely would do a lot for the 15 as well. That said, I won't be getting rid of the 15 even if I do get the 30. I do like it very much.

And, yes. I am realizing that the reverb isn't all that. Too bad. A classic Fender spring reverb would really be the icing on the cake for this amp.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-23-2019, 01:03 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Just ordered the new Bassbreaker 30R. Should get it by end of week. Very excited as I played the Bassbreaker 15 and LOVED it, but wasn't quite loud enough and the channels weren't footswitchable. They fixed that for the 30R. Can't wait to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Guy View Post
        Just ordered the new Bassbreaker 30R. Should get it by end of week. Very excited as I played the Bassbreaker 15 and LOVED it, but wasn't quite loud enough and the channels weren't footswitchable. They fixed that for the 30R. Can't wait to get it.
        I've got my 30r ordered too. I played it at my local guitar shop and it blew me away. The footswitchable and designated clean channel made it a must buy for me.
        Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

^^ I'm jealous, fellers. Can't wait to try one (and probably get one)!
          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Recorded a brief cel phone video of the B.B. 15 tonight. The sound quality might be a bit bad, as I just put a cel phone about four feet from the amp, and it got compressed when I e-mailed it to myself. And, of course, the playing is mediocre, as always! And the guitar strings are about three years old. But hopefully it provides a little feel for one of the main flavors of this amp (the one that I have come to use with my Les Paul).

It's the bridge pickup up till the end of the "Can't Explain" chords, and then it's the neck pickup till the end. All four guitar knobs are dimed.

I can't figure out how to embed the video, but I can link to it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8266378@N05/47215151101/

Amp settings (bright switch is off, which is why the bass knob is so low and the treble knob is so high):

The guitar is a functionally stock '04 LP Standard '50's neck, which came with Burstbucker V's (an early name for Burstbucker Pros). A few years ago, I finally had the terrible factory nut replaced, and had some fret dressing done on the terribly boxy/sharp factory fret ends and crowns (or, should I say, lack of crowns). And I have done a good deal of fine tuning of the pickup heights and pole pieces. I have had the guitar since new (hard to believe it'll be 15 years in June). I added the guard and thumb cutters, but those are just cosmetic features. In terms of tone, it's bone stock. The pickups are a little on the hot side for me, but I still like 'em, and I've grown used to them, so I keep them there (along with the stock 300K pots).

Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-02-2019, 06:37 PM.
            Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
              Recorded a brief cel phone video of the B.B. 15 tonight. The sound quality might be a bit bad, as I just put a cel phone about four feet from the amp, and it got compressed when I e-mailed it to myself. And, of course, the playing is mediocre, as always! And the guitar strings are about three years old. But hopefully it provides a little feel for one of the main flavors of this amp (the one that I have come to use with my Les Paul).

It's the bridge pickup up till the end of the "Can't Explain" chords, and then it's the neck pickup till the end. All four guitar knobs are dimed.

I can't figure out how to embed the video, but I can link to it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8266378@N05/47215151101/

Amp settings (bright switch is off, which is why the bass knob is so low and the treble knob is so high):

The guitar is a functionally stock '04 LP Standard '50's neck, which came with Burstbucker V's (an early name for Burstbucker Pros). A few years ago, I finally had the terrible factory nut replaced, and had some fret dressing done on there terrible factory fret ends and crowns (or, should I say, lack of crowns). And I have done a good deal of fine tuning of the pickup heights and pole pieces. I have had the guitar since new (hard to believe it'll be 15 years in June). I added the guard and thumb cutters, but those are just cosmetic features. In terms of tone, it's bone stock. The pickups are a little on the hot side for me, but I still like 'em, and I've grown used to them, so I keep them there (along with the stock 300K pots).

Awesome! That sounds great!!

Comment

Working...
              X