Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall Studio Series

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
    Have you actually tried that? Looking at mine, I don't know that there's enough room for KT88s, things are packed really tightly in that little box.
    I have put KT66s in the 2525H. The bear trap tube retainers had to go and had to notch the mounting strip for the back panel.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
      It would be cool to find a place that carries both and check 'em out.
      So far I haven’t seen any out there. In my neighborhood there is only 2 guitar centers. And nowadays, I typically tend to not go there much.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
        This phenomenon of the sensitivity to power tubes with these Marshall power amps could be a crucial part of making the mini plexi and the mini 800 great amps. A plexi places great importance on power tube response, and an 800 turns into a beast if and when you can turn them up.

I had been running 6CA7s in my mini jubilee, but last night on a whim I threw in a pair of old tired winged C El34s. Different sound in good way. A lot less gain, but with single coils it was like instant Hendrix. You know that flutey lead tone he could get. All without pedals. With the mini plexi you could run KT66s and go for the JTM45/100 sound or you could run KT88s in the mini 800 for a classic Zach metal tone..and so forth. I have run KT66s in the mini too and it's instant Allman Bros. Very cool amps.
        I had forgotten that I put the old =C='s in there. So it was sounding thin and lacking bass and I'm twiddling knobs. Then I remembered the tubes. Put 6CA7s back in and there the tones were.

The old =C='s are just worn out.

If anybody thinks the Jubilee's tone is just the LEDs this amp disproves them.

Comment

The head alone could easily reach 1000 euros in EU...guess I'll just stick with Mercuriall Spark, that thing sounds beyond excellent anyway...
          ---

Comment

Well, I completed converting my Jet City JCA20H preamp to JCM800 specs, and my first reaction was, “Oh, this must be why they used EL34’s for the Studio Series.” It’s a better, much-closer-to-classic Marshall tone, but it’s painfully obvious it’s a small amp. I like it better than stock, but I think it’s convinced me to go ahead and do the same mod to the preamp of my 50-watt head.

Comment

Working...
            X