X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speakers...

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    I've read that too.
    G12M Greenback? Or the "Heritage Series G12M" also with the green back--- where heritage (=UK made) of course means something else entirely than in H30's...

Cause until recently, G12M Greenback was China $125, and Heritage Series G12M from UK was $175
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Classic (not Heritage) G12M. The one that was Chinese for some time. I used to have a Chinese one. It was good. Not any worse than the G12-EVH I also had, just different. I think the shift was very recent. I read it on rig talk. I'll see if I can find the post.

Comment

Been running a few WGS Speakers for a while now. Have Celestians and Eminences also on hand.
        Right now am running the WGS ET series speakers in my Boogie Subway in the ET10 and a 12 inch ET 90 in my Zinky Velvet.
        Have a pair of Retro 30's in my Fender 2/12 and another in my 1/12 Blackstar.
        I am thinking of swapping the ET 90 to the Blackstar and the Retro 30 to the Zinky though.
        What are you going for tone wise as I have run a few WGS speakers + most Celestians and also a bunch of Eminences over the years.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Here's my experience on speakers I have purchased:
          I own 3 different 2X12 cabinets. Bought them all unloaded. Two were pricey (a Mojotone horizontal slant and a LOPO Line vertical slant....LOPO has since been bought by Mojotone). My third 2X12 is a very inexpensive Seismic.
          I am a fan of mixing speakers chosen to compliment each other's weaknesses.
          I purchased an Emi Wizard and Swamp Thang (both 16 ohms and nearly identical sensitivities) to load in the Mojo cab wired in parallel for an overall impedance of 8 ohms.
          I purchased two celestions for the LOPO, a V30 and a G12H55. Both are 16 ohms paralleled for 8 ohm total.
          I purchased two WGS for the Seismic, a Retro 30 and a Reaper HP same impedance specs as above. This was the economy setup for me.

I liked the WGS so much that I swapped them and the Celestions from their original installed cabs. The LOPO cab is so much better looking cosmetically and the vertical slant feature is preferable to me on stage. It's the one I use most frequently.

I find the Emi speakers to be slightly louder due to their higher sensitivities and in between the Celestions (brightest) and WGS (warmest) in tone.

Any time you mix speakers they should be IMO within 1 db of each other as far as sensitivities. All my pairings met this criteria. Most of my amps have the ability to operate properly at an 8 ohm load, so that was my target.

If you like bright, go with the Celestions I listed; if warm appeals to you do the WGS mentioned; and if you are trying to maximize volume, do the Emi's above. This of course all opinion/taste so YMMV. Good luck!

EDIT: One last thing I forgot, the WGS speakers seemed to take twice as long to break in, but I play a lot so didn't mind that.
          Last edited by IM4Tone; 01-25-2019, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Thank you all for the info!!

Just did a quick read thru at work.. Will thoroughly read and try to digest tomorrow.

Gtrjunior,
            I will most likely leave the Splawn cab (with small blocks) alone. I hear nothing but stellar things about those cabs..
            The cabs Im looking to upgrade is possibly my Avatar 2x12 with celestion G12t 75s in it, but first, will upgrade my Carvin 4x12. So, not the Splawn cab, but will probably use the cab with the Splawn and definately with my Peavey Ultra Plus head.

Wonder why Friedman does it that way? I guess so the tone will hit the ear a certain way. Normally, Ive always heard of doing them in an X pattern..

Devastone, thank you for clarifying on the 80! Hmmm... interesting that I can run 20w speakers. I always thought you had to have at least 100 watts total for a 100 watt head. (4 25 watt speakers/ 2 25 watt and 2 30 watt, etc)
            Yeah, I dont ever get to crank it. Think I had it up to 5 once for a couple minutes.. haha..

Thanks again all! Only speaker swap Ive ever done is swapping out the stock speaker from my PV Classic 30 and putting in an Emi Private Jack..
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Classic (not Heritage) G12M. The one that was Chinese for some time. I used to have a Chinese one. It was good. Not any worse than the G12-EVH I also had, just different. I think the shift was very recent. I read it on rig talk. I'll see if I can find the post.
              Then what the $#@/ is a "Heritage" Greenback, if they're both UK and claiming same specs???

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                Thank you all for the info!!

Just did a quick read thru at work.. Will thoroughly read and try to digest tomorrow.

Gtrjunior,
                I will most likely leave the Splawn cab (with small blocks) alone. I hear nothing but stellar things about those cabs..
                The cabs Im looking to upgrade is possibly my Avatar 2x12 with celestion G12t 75s in it, but first, will upgrade my Carvin 4x12. So, not the Splawn cab, but will probably use the cab with the Splawn and definately with my Peavey Ultra Plus head.

Wonder why Friedman does it that way? I guess so the tone will hit the ear a certain way. Normally, Ive always heard of doing them in an X pattern..

Devastone, thank you for clarifying on the 80! Hmmm... interesting that I can run 20w speakers. I always thought you had to have at least 100 watts total for a 100 watt head. (4 25 watt speakers/ 2 25 watt and 2 30 watt, etc)
                Yeah, I dont ever get to crank it. Think I had it up to 5 once for a couple minutes.. haha..

Thanks again all! Only speaker swap Ive ever done is swapping out the stock speaker from my PV Classic 30 and putting in an Emi Private Jack..
                Start your speaker journey by buying a cheap, used, broken-in V30 and swapping ONE of the T75's in your Avatar.

Ohms have to match the speaker you're ditching.

It's one of the more spectacular changes, to a quite versatile and popular setup, chances are you'll like the result.... and for $75ish, easily sold back with no losses, it's a hell of a lot less painful a start for a new shopping addiction than $500 - 800 to reload a quad of new speakers
                Last edited by Adieu; 01-26-2019, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Speakers...

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                  Start your speaker journey by buying a cheap, used, broken-in V30 and swapping ONE of the T75's in your Avatar.

Ohms have to match the speaker you're ditching.

It's one of the more spectacular changes, to a quite versatile and popular setup, chances are you'll like the result.... and for $75ish, easily sold back with no losses, it's a hell of a lot less painful a start for a new shopping addiction than $500 - 800 to reload a quad of new speakers
                  The only thing he will need to watch out for with the V30, is using the Splawn through that cab. The Splawn is a very mid-forward amp and the V30 has been reported to not jive that well with that amp....I can’t speak to the Peavey amp.
                  Ive got a 2x12 with a WGS ET-65 paired with a WGS Vet 30. It sounds good, but holy mids. My Blackstar sounds great through that cab though.

But, tone is in the ear of the beholder so who knows...it might be perfect for him.

Comment

What's in your Carvin cab now?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                      Then what the $#@/ is a "Heritage" Greenback, if they're both UK and claiming same specs???
                      They don't have the same specs. The Heritages have a different cone based on the old Pulsonic ones (same as the Creambacks). The Classics have the Kurt Mueller cone. Not sure if the voice coil is the same. I doubt it.

There could be other differences similar to the Mesa and Chinese V30 with the adhesives, the way the magnet is constructed, etc.
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-26-2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

The standard re-issue sounds more like a 70's era G12M, while the Heritage is supposed to sound more like a 60's era G12M. There is a noticeable difference in loudness and a slight difference in tone. Edward van Halen's 67 4x12 is loaded with original 60's G12Ms. This is why the G12EVH is the same speaker as the Heritage G12M. Ironically, the G12EVH has a black magnet cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                          The standard re-issue sounds more like a 70's era G12M, while the Heritage is supposed to sound more like a 60's era G12M. There is a noticeable difference in loudness and a slight difference in tone. Edward van Halen's 67 4x12 is loaded with original 60's G12Ms. This is why the G12EVH is the same speaker as the Heritage G12M. Ironically, the G12EVH has a black magnet cover.
                          "Confusion sells speakers best."

-top secret motto passed down by Celestion executives from times immemorial

Comment

No confusion there. They sound noticeably different.

Comment

No confusion there. They sound noticeably different.
                              What % of the speaker-ordering crowd gets to A/B/C/D their options? Not many

People buy on hearsay or unequal different-cab, different-count, often heard-years-apart judgments

Comment

I must be one of the few people that is not a huge fan of Greenbacks.
                                I'd much prefer the 12K-100.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X