Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speakers...

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
    What % of the speaker-ordering crowd gets to A/B/C/D their options? Not many

People buy on hearsay or unequal different-cab, different-count, often heard-years-apart judgments
    ......Maybe 1% I'd wager.

Comment

If there were a way to run my head through a wide variety of speakers it would take me less than an hour to choose and be happy for life. Instead, I have bought 5 speakers so far for ONE 2x12 and still not sure I'm happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        I must be one of the few people that is not a huge fan of Greenbacks.
        I'd much prefer the 12K-100.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
        Neither am I. They have weird upper mids that seem not cutting enough and too harsh at the same time.
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
          "Confusion sells speakers best."

-top secret motto passed down by Celestion executives from times immemorial
          Don't be so cynical, and don't let your inability to effectively differentiate negatively affect other people's decision making.
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            What's in your Carvin cab now?

The Carvin cab has their "British Series" speakers in it.

Adieu,
            Yeah, was thinking bout putting a V30 in the Avatar and leaving on of the stockers to get started. I cant say it sounds bad now, but from everything Ive read, the stock speakers are very mid scooped, so hopefully on v30 will help fill in the mids and Ill still have the lows from the stock speaker.
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
              I cant say it sounds bad now, but from everything Ive read, the stock speakers are very mid scooped
              I love ya BR, but maybe you read too much and it costs you money? What do your ears tell you? I say that as someone who has spent tons of money on gear over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                I love ya BR, but maybe you read too much and it costs you money? What do your ears tell you? I say that as someone who has spent tons of money on gear over the years.
                Start small, start used, flip or trade what you dom't use/need, buy low sell high... and gear doesn't actually cost you much of anything
                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                  Back atcha Brother! I appreciate what you are saying and calling me out.. And, you very well could be right.. Its a hard call. I cant say it sounds bad, but can it sound better? My Peavy Classic 30 didn't sound bad. Except for this thuddy thing it did when I'd first hit a big chord. However, it sounds completely different and a whole lot better with the replacement speaker.
                  So, thinking of experimenting. Money is really tight, so not gonna run out and buy 6 speakers for both cabs,, but may try a v30 (or equiv) in the 2x12. I've never played one before. (v30) It would be cool if I had a shop around that had a selection of cabs so I could test. Yeah, I know, it's a bummer that I spend more time reading about gear than playing... Not by my choice... But, yes, plants those evil seeds of what if... But again, I know how speakers can make a big diff and it appears that the 75s in my 2x12 are very mid scooped. So, may take Adieu's advice and look for a used speaker before dropping cash on new ones. We will see.. just testing the waters right now. Thanks again !
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I totally understand, and yes, a speaker can make a huge difference. And used is definitely the way to go on a budget!

And I think a lot of guitar players play the "what if..." scenario.

Comment

If I ever decide to reload my Carvin 4x12, I'll be putting in a mix of Swamp Thangs and Texas Heats.

Comment

Back atcha Brother! I appreciate what you are saying and calling me out.. And, you very well could be right.. Its a hard call. I cant say it sounds bad, but can it sound better? My Peavy Classic 30 didn't sound bad. Except for this thuddy thing it did when I'd first hit a big chord. However, it sounds completely different and a whole lot better with the replacement speaker.
                        So, thinking of experimenting. Money is really tight, so not gonna run out and buy 6 speakers for both cabs,, but may try a v30 (or equiv) in the 2x12. I've never played one before. (v30) It would be cool if I had a shop around that had a selection of cabs so I could test. Yeah, I know, it's a bummer that I spend more time reading about gear than playing... Not by my choice... But, yes, plants those evil seeds of what if... But again, I know how speakers can make a big diff and it appears that the 75s in my 2x12 are very mid scooped. So, may take Adieu's advice and look for a used speaker before dropping cash on new ones. We will see.. just testing the waters right now. Thanks again !
                        If you do go V30, consider the Avatar Hellatone 60. It is a V30 that Avatar has broken in and rebranded. Price is similar, IIRC.

BTW, I also dropped a Pvt Jack into my PV Classic 30. Sounds great!

Comment

Emi Legend GB128 for $50.00

You can thank me later
                          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Another vote for Weber here. You can pretty much order Weber Legacy's to be built to your specs. I've got some, they delivered for me.
                            The more gear you buy, and the more often you buy the gear, the less often the music is made.

Comment

Trying to decide on speakers is proving to be a mind numbing task.. I dont have money to try and swap around.. So need to be pretty certain.

I have some questions tho..
                              First, did some searching and seems like several have said they find WGS as good if not better than Emi. There are so many options.. Im considering going with the standards of an x of Green backs/vin 30s. Based on WGS' descriptions, they have models based on those, but say theirs are tweaked to dial out the bad points of the celestions.

In regards to Celestions.. It appears that the Heritage series are made in UK and more pricey.
                              What I find interesting is that the Heritage Green back is $199 and the EVH speaker is also made in UK but oddly, it is much less. Id expect it to be more as having EVH's name.. The thing with that those, is that they are rated like 20watts. Doesnt seem to me they would handle a 100 watt head.

How does one know what ohm rating to get?

Davastone, you recommend in a few threads the Classic Lead 80. and the WGS version. Why is that?

Vintage 30 is 30watts, correct? The WGS "version" is rated at 60. Would that be a big mismatch with "greenbacks" at 25?

Anyone tried the George Lynch Celestion?

I could go on and on with questions... Again , its boggling my mind
                              thanks for any help. or even alt suggestions
                              For additional impressions about the WGS version of the Lead 80 speaker, read this:
                              Worth the difference for the Celestion? And does anyone know what WH charges for shipping-won't let me calculate without creating an account first.
                              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

The Carvin cab has their "British Series" speakers in it.

Adieu,
                                Yeah, was thinking bout putting a V30 in the Avatar and leaving on of the stockers to get started. I cant say it sounds bad now, but from everything Ive read, the stock speakers are very mid scooped, so hopefully on v30 will help fill in the mids and Ill still have the lows from the stock speaker.
                                As an additional "v30 like candidate", i recommend you check out the Celestion V Type speaker. I've recently started running one of them in combination with a T75, and - for metal/thrash type playing - that combo is awesome and its a keeper for me. Like the WGS version, the V Type does not have the V30's nasty spike in the 1Khz region of the mids. The V type is lacking in low end however so you will want to run it in combo with something else, vs 2 V types.

Also, the V Type is a 70 watt speaker
                                Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 01-29-2019, 09:37 PM.
                                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Working...
                                X