• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cool gear...what is it?

Originally posted by groupiegirl
    Good advice....thanks .
    You're welcome
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I have been thinking about this now for a couple of days and I am wondering now - if this H-V is a head then that means I would also have to buy a cabinet? Is that correct? How many speakers minimum could I get away with? What kind? Does this ever end?
      Originally posted by Briand
      keeping Steph in-line is dang near an all day job.
      Originally posted by OneSecksieGearJoneser
      Happy birthday darlin! If I had the X Files on DVD, I'd send it your way. I'm generous like that.

Comment

if you buy a head, yes, you'll need a cabinet ... for a beefy head like has been talked baout in this thread, i'd say that you'll need a 2x12" cab as a minimum ... a 4x12" is not out of the question ... good thing you have teenaged boys around that can heft it around for you

you can play a bunch of cabs to decide what sounds best for you ... you'll probably want a closed back cab if you want that tight, heavy 'thunk' sound from your rhythm playing ... avatar seems to get a lot of good reviews for quality at a good price ... make sure you dont get speakers that are too low a power rating ... if you turn the head way up, you could fry the speakers ..

and no, it really doesnt ever end

my only advice is to go out and play as many amps (combos, heads-n-cabs, whatever) as you can with your guitar before deciding ... you'd be surprised how many times what you think you want 'before' changes once you've actually played them ... if you have an open mind and open ears, you can find satisfying gear from unexpected sources ...

good luck,
        t4d
        Last edited by tone4days; 09-09-2005, 09:22 AM.
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

True about the boys....but don't forget that I throw packages for a living....

so 2x12 minimum....any other particular specs for speakers or anything that I dont even know to ask about?
          Happy birthday darlin! If I had the X Files on DVD, I'd send it your way. I'm generous like that.

Comment

note, it was a 2x12" FOR THAT BEEFY TYPE OF HEAD ... i have heard plenty of guys get KILLER tone out of a 1x12" cab ... depends on how loud you need to be ... if you have to compete with a ham fisted drummer and other guitars/bass that don't know how to turn down, you might have to go with the more air movement ...and note, 2x12" is about the same as (2) 1x12" cabs for ease of hauling and increased stereo imaging (if needed) .. i do that, and so does robert_s ...

i'll go ahead and offer an opinion .. a big powered tube head & hefty cab strikes me as overkill if you are just starting out .. not to mention pretty pricey .. i bet you could find a KILLER combo that would be easier on your checkbook and easier to operate/maintain to get you started ... but that's just me

good luck
            t4d
            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by groupiegirl
              Sune, you kick @ss for including the sound clip, but I think I blew one of my computer speakers hee hee....seriously
              No problem, I always like to help out the ladies.. Makes me feel like a gentleman

BC Rich Mockingbird (Gibson Iommi/stock PUP)
              Custom guitar (JB/Jazz)
              Marshall JCM900 50W Hi Gain Master Volume MKlll
              Laney GH100TI Tony Iommi signature amp
              Framus FR212 CB cabinet
              Marshall MG10CD (pretty crappy :laugh2: )
              Line6 Toneport UX2
              Rocktron Heart Attack

Comment

Originally posted by Sune
                No problem, I always like to help out the ladies.. Makes me feel like a gentleman
                and so you are sir, I thank you kindly

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days
                  note, it was a 2x12" FOR THAT BEEFY TYPE OF HEAD ... i have heard plenty of guys get KILLER tone out of a 1x12" cab ... depends on how loud you need to be ...
                  I don't NEED to be loud.....I just LIKE to be loud. Never would have guessed that huh?

Originally posted by tone4days
                  i'll go ahead and offer an opinion .. a big powered tube head & hefty cab strikes me as overkill if you are just starting out .. not to mention pretty pricey .. i bet you could find a KILLER combo that would be easier on your checkbook and easier to operate/maintain to get you started ... but that's just me

good luck
                  t4d
                  I agree it is overkill I was just trying to understand what I would need in addition to that particular piece of equipment....you never know what you will run across or have the opportunity to nab, so one must be ready to seize the moment....and for reference to other generic heads. For now Brian is graciously lending me one of his amps....a Fender pro something or other. Thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
                  X