GT 12AX7 Mullard in the Valvetronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GT 12AX7 Mullard in the Valvetronics

Two of the three GT 12AX7-Ms I bought went bad on me right after the warranty ran out. I had to go through a few in the store to find two good ones to replace them. I will NEVER buy another GT tube ever again. They do sound good but their reliability is very hit and miss. If you are having good luck with them, more power to you. My experience was less than stellar. I'm going with the New Sensor Tung Sol 12AX7s next.

Cheers,

CJ
    www.myspace.com/cjreaper

Comment

Originally posted by Usurper666
      Two of the three GT 12AX7-Ms I bought went bad on me right after the warranty ran out. I had to go through a few in the store to find two good ones to replace them. I will NEVER buy another GT tube ever again. They do sound good but their reliability is very hit and miss. If you are having good luck with them, more power to you. My experience was less than stellar. I'm going with the New Sensor Tung Sol 12AX7s next.

Cheers,

CJ
      GT has been alot more hype to me over the years than anything else....I won't pay their astranomical prices and since all of the tubes available to us now come from alot of the same places,I'll not get em from GT....I've always stayed pretty current about tubes since the 1980s to keep myself educated on what's good and what sucks! GT isn't the only guy in town anymore selling good quality matched tubes.
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

glad it worked out for you. reminds me of that Dokken song, "you just got lucky".
        Jeremy Ledford
        Tone Guru Extroardinaire
        Tone Shop

Comment

I use a gtm in the #1, #3, #4 of my 2 channel dual rectifier. I use a balanced phase invertor and # 2 by EH. I love this combo as the #1 gtm gives the body and tames some crappy fizzy highs while the #2 EH12ax7 gives the gain and scoops the huge mids a bit from the #1 gtm. The #3 fills the body out again and the #4 is the tube buffer fx loop and it fattens up the fx loop and seems to not deteriorate the tone like some fx loops do. The eh 110/110 phase invertor is a EH12ax7 and it is higher output than the gt and pushes out the sound/tone to the transformer in a great way. I tried every combination I could think of and this is my best combo aside from replacing the #3 with a EH12ax7 or Chinese.
          My bands links:

PEDL
          www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
          www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
          www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

Working...
          X