Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blues Junior Overdriven Tones are AWESOME

Hey!

I've got a Tweed NOS Blues Junior – basically a BJ III but it came stock with a Jensen speaker and retro vibe – and I absolutely LOVE the overdriven tones.

Does anyone else feel this way about their BJ?

Obviously, its a big seller, so a lot of people use them, but most seem to use them as a clean pedal platform amps. Is there no love for the overdrive tones of the BJ?

I don't know if the Jensen speaker has something to do with it, but to me, the overdriven BJ NOS Tweed has an absolutely wonderful, ruckus, raunchy, classic rock tone! One complaint about the BJ is its lack of low end, which I can definitely see being the case if you were playing it clean only, but it also keeps the overdriven sound nice and tight and gorgeous to my ears.

Anybody? Am I alone here?__PRESENT
    Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
    Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
    Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
    Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
    Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
    Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
    Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
    Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
    Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
    PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Those are great amps. Jensen speaker is a good part of the equation also. A lot of the recent era Fender offerings have been really good; the Hot Rod DeVille, the Blues Junior, the Blues Deluxe. I was pretty impressed with the cleans also.

Comment

i used a blues jr as my main amp for a few years. no pedals just every knob full up other than reverb and bass which were adjusted to taste. i had an old g12m in mine. it was great for a blues rock tone

Comment

The Blues Jr has a weird boxy sound to me. It doesn't have the nice open Deluxe sound, but it might just be the size of the cabinet. I hear this not only when I use one, but when I hear others, too. You hear it really well about 25 feet away.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

the stock speaker is part of that but the small box doesnt help either

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            The Blues Jr has a weird boxy sound to me. It doesn't have the nice open Deluxe sound, but it might just be the size of the cabinet. I hear this not only when I use one, but when I hear others, too. You hear it really well about 25 feet away.
            My thoughts on the little amps also ! Never got the glowing raving stuff on the BJ. Now my Subway Rocket which is about the same size and weight is another story!
            THIS is the Crunch tone of my Rocket with just a little verb in the loop as it has no verb in the amp.
            THIS is the natural crunch tone of my Boogie Subway Rocket with absolutely noting but verb in the loop miced
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I think they are like fenders gateway drug cuz they get you into that fender territory squarely but no mods will ever make it a 5e3, deluxe reverb, etc, and so a lot of people keep chasing what they heard on their fav record or whatever.
              But if you accept the blues jr as it's own animal they're cool, Can be scored cheap, that's always a plus

I agree on boxy as a description. Partly the box the speaker is in, partly the circuit and the little more nasal voicing I think they were going for. Does sound kinda bluesy to me with the boxiness.

Comment

You see them as backlines a lot. They are cheap and sound reasonably good. The clean sound is my favorite of the 2, though.

Comment

The Blues Jr was my 1st valve amp back in 2004.
                  I did not know better so i bought it . . . the cheapest valve amp (at the time) in my city.

The overdriven tone got 'generic' very quickly for me.
                  I tried to like it for 4 years.
                  Sold it eventually, bought a 1966 black face Bassman (head) and could not be happier.
                  I still have that Bassman. LOVE the organic crunch i get out of it.
                  Last edited by SirJackdeFuzz II; 10-13-2020, 11:09 PM.
                  Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

My uncle has a Blues Jr, not sure what "edition" it is, but he bought it new 12 years ago.

I think it has a really beautiful clean (and breakup) tone, full of character. With loads of tube chime, and a lovely spring reverb .

Uncle doesn't like it very much, he says . Mostly because he can't get a saturated lead tone without use of an OD pedal. :/

My Blackstar Ht-20mkII sounds so "bland" and "dull" in comparison (but does have an overdrive channel). And isn't as ... "ice picky" as the Blues Jr. can get.

I'd love to own one of each amps...

-E
                    Last edited by Erlend_G; 10-14-2020, 02:57 AM.
                    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Blooze Jr....c'mon. I have heard dozens of them (owned a few) and they all sound like c**p.

Comment

thats bs. while they arent the best amps out there, they can be made to sound just fine. even stock, twist the knobs right and they sound fine. i do prefer a speaker change since the stock one aint great

Comment

I never thought they sounded bad- I could certainly do gigs with one, especially on the clean channel with pedals.

Comment

I really don't understand the appeal of these modern Fenders. Seriously? Too bright, boxy, no low end, nasty upper mids, but Shane at Fender is laffing all the way to the bank. You can bet that NO ONE at Fender uses these amps.
                            Last edited by SoPhx; 10-16-2020, 09:16 PM.

Comment

I prefer the overdriven of Pro Jr, more.

Comment

Working...
                              X