What would you choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you choose?

I am back and forth on this so I thought I would reach out and get some opinions. I have a little extra spending cash for the season and was thinking of buying some more gear. I don't NEED anything. I have plenty of amps and guitars to last a lifetime and more pedals than Carter has pills. I have been on a bit of an amp kick lately and thought of buying another amp. I am not opposed to buying a clean used amp but usually buy my stuff new. I have kicked the can on Axe FX, Kemper etc around for a while and have nothing in that camp. I could buy a single amp new and be thrilled and end the hunt for a bit. OR...I could grab a couple of used amps I really like and have two amps instead of one new one and possibly even a few bucks left afterwards. I could buy more 4x12 cabs but that sounds boring for this endeavor.

SO....the question is.....what would you do?

A) Venture down a totally new path with a modeler/profiler rig?
    B) Buy a new amp you know you love but at the time isn't on the used market and be done with it?
    C) Go for broke on the used market and get a couple of nice amps and play the hand the market provides?
    D) Stay off the forums, play what you have and alleviate yourself from GAS.
    Last edited by Bogner; 12-11-2020, 04:10 PM.
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

It's a disease

There is a twelve step program
    C C# D D#......

Practice with what you have

I feel it too GAS around this time of year

Neighbors come in my house and act like it's a music store

Don't do it

But if you do

One new head
    Everyone wants a little head on the holidays
    get a lunchbox head
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

E) Stay off the forums to alleviate GAS, but starting in January, set X amount aside every paycheck or every month so that when next Black Friday or December next year comes around, you can get yourself something nice because you saved for it all year.

Comment

If you already have amps you need, A, or E find an amp that is fun to play but also has some resale value, like a vintage Plexi / SuperLead, or something with a pedigree, like an auction amp one owned by a famous player.

Comment

Maybe dip your toes into the modeler pool with an HX Stomp? They sound pretty good, and the effects are really great. You get a bunch of new effects with the new software update, too. They are also a lot cheaper than a Helix or an Axe FX.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
            E) Stay off the forums to alleviate GAS, but starting in January, set X amount aside every paycheck or every month so that when next Black Friday or December next year comes around, you can get yourself something nice because you saved for it all year.
            As good as your advice is, it would never work for me. I am too deep into the game for way too long to do such a thing. I am always buying something....pickups, cabs, amps, guitars, pedals, etc. I am not a flipper or anything like that, I just dig cool stuff and love playing around with things. If I am going to save that long for something it would be a bigger ticket item...which isn't a bad thing and in some ways could alleviate some gear purchases. I have a buddy who went that route and he landed on exotic cars....I am NOT that guy and refuse to go down that path...lol. You make a great point....noted.
            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
              If you already have amps you need, A, or E find an amp that is fun to play but also has some resale value, like a vintage Plexi / SuperLead, or something with a pedigree, like an auction amp one owned by a famous player.
              I have already travelled that nostalgia road, it's a dead end. As cool as a lot of that stuff is, the newer stuff works better for me. I am not opposed to it though if the right thing popped up. I just don't know right now what that would be and I know that is an expensive hunt and can be very time consuming. Again, all worth it for the right grab but I have no idea what that would be for me right now. When I think on what you are saying my mind goes to guitars (which I REALLY don't need) and then I see myself going down the vintage path. Thanks for the feedback, gives me something to chew on and a different perspective in the hunt which is what this thread is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Maybe dip your toes into the modeler pool with an HX Stomp? They sound pretty good, and the effects are really great. You get a bunch of new effects with the new software update, too. They are also a lot cheaper than a Helix or an Axe FX.
                Good point...a way to get in without much of a cash drop. My focus is towards amps or amp sounds etc. and when I think of the Stomp I think effects. (It is also very possible I am simply thinking wrong) by thinking that way. I can't see it hurting much to venture down that path to see if it scratches that itch. My hesitation is that it ends up just being another fancy stomp box which I don't need....OR.....it is a gateway drug to going in full tilt with a Kemper and an Axe FX...lol. I appreciate your perspective and feedback and it gives me something to definitely consider. Heck, I could even find a cool used head and get the HX Stomp.

Comment

Good advice so far my friends. Thanks for sharing your perspectives. We all get tunnel vision from time to time and hearing various perspectives opens up our blind spots so that is all good. I was really leaning towards a new amp when I started the thread and before I came back to read these responses I had opened up more to going the used amp route and getting a couple amps if I found something I was interested in. I could even blend a couple choices which I hadn't really considered so again, thanks all, I really appreciate the dialogue.

Comment

Oh man, I'm so sorry for you -you've caught the virus? You are very sick man, seek medical attention!

Need to know more about your plans to answer the question.

do you plan on gigging a lot?
                    do you do your own recording?
                    what are you goals in 2021 with music?
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

It is hard to suggest an amp without knowing what you have already. However, seeing you are set at guitar maybe it is time to look at other instruments, keys, bass, or mandolin.

Comment

Do you have an AC30? The Handwired AC30HW is a killer. I have the head version in white.

In that same vein, so is the Blackstar Artisan 30. I have one of those heads too.

And the Blackstar Artist 30 is also similar. I have one of those as well.

Those are my three favorite amps that I own.
                        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Yeah, the HX Stomp has all of the amp models from the Helix, too, as well as the suite of HX effects. It would be a great backup, or recording rig, if you are using an amp. But it really sounds great on its own for a tiny direct-to-PA solution for any gig.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm throwing in another vote for a modeler.

If you haven't ventured into that territory yet, and are having a hard time deciding on one particular amp, why not get something that gives you several flavours?

Haven't tried the HX Stomp myself, but I have both the Helix LT and the AX8. Considering the HX Stomp has the same arsenal as its big brother (and no waiting list like its Fractal equivalent), it's a bargain if you take the time to explore what it can do - you might find yourself getting lost in your playing as you try out everything it has in it

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

• EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                            • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                            • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                            • G&L Tribute Comanche
                            • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                            • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                            • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I'd love to have a EVH 5150. Just the 50 watt head.
                              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Working...
                              X