X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bogner Helios 100

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I totally get that. It is really easy to go to 'IR Hell' and try out many of them to arrive back where you started, or your ears get so tired that you can't hear the difference. Especially since these modelers can hold 1000s of them! But stick with what is in the box, and make great tones, and remember to spend time playing.
      You are absolutely correct my friend. I see it all the time and just refuse to go down that path. How many ways can you capture a vintage 30 (for example)? It appears hundreds if not thousands of ways by all these IR's available...lol. I am definitely with you on the simple aspect. I like simple and straight forward.
      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
        Bogner Helios 100
        Wonderful suggestion. I liked the Helios a lot and then played the Helios Eclipse and loved it. I ordered one and it arrived damaged so I sent it back. It's replacement finally arrived and the transformers were leaning and the box was damaged so it took a huge drop somewhere along the journey so it went back as well. I like the sound of the Eclipse best of the three models. It is one I am strongly considering.
        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

What's the difference between the eclipse and 100? If I recall, the 100 has a full EQ section bypass mode available. I like that feature and it's so unique.

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
            What's the difference between the eclipse and 100? If I recall, the 100 has a full EQ section bypass mode available. I like that feature and it's so unique.
            Helios Eclipse is more modern sounding with easier mode operation and controls than the regular Helios.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
              I am back and forth on this so I thought I would reach out and get some opinions. I have a little extra spending cash for the season and was thinking of buying some more gear. I don't NEED anything. I have plenty of amps and guitars to last a lifetime and more pedals than Carter has pills. I have been on a bit of an amp kick lately and thought of buying another amp. I am not opposed to buying a clean used amp but usually buy my stuff new. I have kicked the can on Axe FX, Kemper etc around for a while and have nothing in that camp. I could buy a single amp new and be thrilled and end the hunt for a bit. OR...I could grab a couple of used amps I really like and have two amps instead of one new one and possibly even a few bucks left afterwards. I could buy more 4x12 cabs but that sounds boring for this endeavor.

SO....the question is.....what would you do?

A) Venture down a totally new path with a modeler/profiler rig?
              B) Buy a new amp you know you love but at the time isn't on the used market and be done with it?
              C) Go for broke on the used market and get a couple of nice amps and play the hand the market provides?
              D) Stay off the forums, play what you have and alleviate yourself from GAS.
              I would buy a high end acoustic.
              And play unplugged.
              With the option of plugging in.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                I would buy a high end acoustic.
                And play unplugged.
                With the option of plugging in.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                Good call there but I did that to open a different door when the china virus showed up and life began changing for us all. I played it a lot initially but not as much lately as when I first bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                  You are absolutely correct my friend. I see it all the time and just refuse to go down that path. How many ways can you capture a vintage 30 (for example)? It appears hundreds if not thousands of ways by all these IR's available...lol. I am definitely with you on the simple aspect. I like simple and straight forward.
                  Part of the issue is that you need to think of IRs as BOTH a cabinet and mic position. I'm looking at one of my IR packs now and my G12H30 cabinet has 699 IRs, but there are 18 microphones in there and many of them have 30-50+ positions. Picking an IR is not unlike micing a cab in the studio; I'll probably start with a MD-421 or SM57 1" out at the edge of the dust cap and fine tune from there. If you're trying to duplicate a live FOH vibe, you're probably done at that point. You can go down the rabbit hole with multiple mics and off-axis positioning and the like, but I almost never do it. Most of the time it's 1-2 close mics and maybe a couple distant ones, and that's if I'm not being lazy and just using a close mic or two with a bit of room reverb.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

UPDATE:

I want to once again, take the time to personally thank each and every one of you who commented in this thread. All the comments were great and the feedback got me to thinking in some new directions and gave me a lot to chew on....(which I did). The somewhat frustrating thing (for me anyway) in this was finding a potential alternate path or particular product only to find it isn't in stock etc. We all know a lot of inventory is down and with it being this time of year it is even leaner in some cases on some products.I went in a somewhat different path than I anticipated. I picked up a Sound City Master Lead 50 and a HX Stomp. The Sound City is unlike any amp I have (think HiWatt) and can do the clean type stuff and Rock stuff is spades. I can't wait for it to show up! The Stomp is going to be fun to mess around with and I look forward to learning what it can do and further opening that door I have refused (up until now) to want to walk through. Here are a couple links if you are interested in hearing how it sounds. Enjoy!

Comment

Very cool combo of gear! I look forward to hearing what you are able to discover.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Very cool combo of gear! I look forward to hearing what you are able to discover.
                        Me too! I am really looking forward to this amp as it is a different beast than I typically gravitate towards. I really liked the sounds of it and thought it would be great for some jangly edge of breakup sounds. I figured all the various guitars and pedals I have it could make for some really interesting combo's coupled with the volume knob roll off and the way the picking attack plays into this amp. Worst case scenario, I really think it will get me to play different things and probably force me to become a better guitar player as it appears to be a very honest amp. None of those things are bad things. I hope it arrives quickly and in one piece!

Comment

I can't imagine anything designed by Steven Fryette as sounding anything less than completely amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                            I can't imagine anything designed by Steven Fryette as sounding anything less than completely amazing.
                            I can't disagree with you on that! This amp was tweaked by Fryette but still maintains a lot of the original intent of what Reeves came up with.

Comment

Well this pretty much wrecks my suggestion of a ....

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post
                                Well this pretty much wrecks my suggestion of a ....
                                Suggest away. I never said I am not buying anything else again...lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X