Digital Modelers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Modelers

I recently bought my first modeler and although I was skeptical at first I have come to understand why they are so popular.
    I have always been a tube amp snob and only bought my AA12 out of necessity.
    I used it at band practice the other night and was pretty amazed at just how good it sounded.
    So, it got me to thinking about what other high end offerings there are on the market.
    Im aware of Kemper, Helix, AxeFX etc.
    What else is out there, which are the best available, what are the differences in these units and pros/cons of each...
    Some have built in power amps and some donĂ¢€™t, then there is the separate foot switch pedal....
    The AA12 is a good unit but unless I’m mistaken it’s not really considered a top tier unit? IDK, maybe it is...
    But I got to thinking of there are better, more realistic sounding units available, I can definitely see myself NOT lugging an amp to gigs anymore...
    Maybe it’s time to think about selling the JCM800?
    Last edited by Gtrjunior; 02-28-2021, 04:15 PM.

In a mix with a full band
    it is indistinguishable

Only you would know
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I use a Fender Tone Master Deluxe, which is a modeling combo that models 1 amp really well. It only weighs just over 20lbs.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I’ve been using a Fender Mustang III v2 100 watt 1x12 for the last 6 months or so. Love it.

Wanted something smaller for headphone use, and picked up a Mooer GE200 earlier today. Obviously haven’t gotten too deep into it yet, but I love modeling devices. My hope is the Mooer ends up sounding killer, and I can use it as my headphone rig or run it into the effects return of a Fender 2x12 100 watt solid state amp to play out.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Maybe I titled the thread wrong....I’m looking to get away from an onstage amplifier.
          Specifically I’m looking at Kemper, AxeFX or something similar.
          Now I know the units with a built in power amp will allow me to play through a cabinet. I’m not 100% sure I “need” that but it might come in handy in a situation where there is a cabinet available and I’m not necessarily running a line to FOH (like a rehearsal situation or an informal jam)

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I use a Fender Tone Master Deluxe, which is a modeling combo that models 1 amp really well. It only weighs just over 20lbs.
            I thought you had a Fractal? That’s an AxeFX, right? I know they make a few different products but I’m not sure I’m familiar with exactly what they all are.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
              Maybe I titled the thread wrong....I’m looking to get away from an onstage amplifier.
              Specifically I’m looking at Kemper, AxeFX or something similar.
              Now I know the units with a built in power amp will allow me to play through a cabinet. I’m not 100% sure I “need” that but it might come in handy in a situation where there is a cabinet available and I’m not necessarily running a line to FOH (like a rehearsal situation or an informal jam)
              If you want get away from the amp on the stage, then you should check out the flagship floorboards. You probably don't need to jump down the rabbit hole like many before you. AFAIK Kemper is the only company that has a model with a built-in power amp but I have zero experience with them other than plugging in to lay down a lead one time.

The floorboard Kemper Stage does not have a power amp, can't speak to it otherwise,

Fractal AX8, while long discontinued still sounds great and can be found in the wild, IMO Fractal AX8 has a slight edge on tone, but can only run one amp at a time. Much easier to edit when plugged into a PC,

Line6 Helix has the best user-friendly and fun UI, capable of running multiple amps simultaneously, and you really don't need a PC at all to edit. Still sounds great, is still getting updates and the Helix LT is an excellent lower-cost alternative to the pricier Helix, with the same tones and power, just not as much I/O.

You could likely track either one down for around $1000 USD if you keep your eyes peeled, regardless if you want a live cab you will need a separate power amp (or bring your head and use it as such by plugging into the FX loop return)

As long as you're willing to take the time to set the patches/scenes/footswitches up for the gig ahead of time, you can't lose!
              Last edited by Metalman_666; 02-28-2021, 08:07 PM.
              • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
              • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
              • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
              • G&L Tribute Comanche
              • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
              • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
              • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I recently bought my first modeler and although I was skeptical at first I have come to understand why they are so popular.
                I have always been a tube amp snob and only bought my AA12 out of necessity.
                I used it at band practice the other night and was pretty amazed at just how good it sounded.
                So, it got me to thinking about what other high end offerings there are on the market.
                Im aware of Kemper, Helix, AxeFX etc.
                What else is out there, which are the best available, what are the differences in these units and pros/cons of each...
                Some have built in power amps and some donĂ¢€™t, then there is the separate foot switch pedal....
                The AA12 is a good unit but unless I’m mistaken it’s not really considered a top tier unit? IDK, maybe it is...
                But I got to thinking of there are better, more realistic sounding units available, I can definitely see myself NOT lugging an amp to gigs anymore...
                Maybe it’s time to think about selling the JCM800?
                The AA12 sounds great, I think the issue is that it has an old-fashioned user interface and doesn't have a ton of effects/variety.

I recently picked up a Zoom G11 which despite my indecision, may end up keeping. The reason, and this may sound trivial (it wasn't something I originally though was important), is that the touch screen makes it much easier to organize my patches. I'm dialing in tones and setting up collections that work for me, without needing to learn anything.

I've played modelers since the early Boss GT units, have tried the Helix, and the issue I've always had to deal with is naming and organizing patches. With the touch screen I can type in patch and bank names like its a smart phone. And I can drag/drop patches between slots, and more importantly, I can drag/drop banks around. Its even easier than using a computer interface with a mouse.

EVERY modeler I've used prior to this, I was always overwriting patches because it wasn't easy to make new space, and trying to put them where I wanted them was always a major ordeal.

I think we are at the point where they all sound great (and most of them feel great). What will set them apart is how easy they are to set up to your liking.

The Helix had a great interface five years ago, but its already obsolete. I think once you've tried a touch interface, you can type in patch names and drag/drop patches around, you won't want to use an encoder-based system. You might be *used* to an encoder based system, but once you try touch you won't want to go back.

About half of them have touch interfaces. Zoom, Headrush, Hotone, and upcoming Quad Cortex. For me, the Headrush is too big, and the Quad Cortex is too expensive, which leaves the Zoom.

Last edited by Top-L; 02-28-2021, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I thought you had a Fractal? That’s an AxeFX, right? I know they make a few different products but I’m not sure I’m familiar with exactly what they all are.
                  I have both, a modeling Fender, and a Fractal FM3. They are for 2 different uses. I've been using the FM3 for recording and playing at home. Once I feel comfortable with it (it has only been a month or so), I will use it for live shows.

Comment

So what is the difference between the FM-3 and the AceFX III?
                    Is the FM-3 a more feature lite unit?

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post

If you want get away from the amp on the stage, then you should check out the flagship floorboards. You probably don't need to jump down the rabbit hole like many before you. AFAIK Kemper is the only company that has a model with a built-in power amp but I have zero experience with them other than plugging in to lay down a lead one time.

The floorboard Kemper Stage does not have a power amp, can't speak to it otherwise,

Fractal AX8, while long discontinued still sounds great and can be found in the wild, IMO Fractal AX8 has a slight edge on tone, but can only run one amp at a time. Much easier to edit when plugged into a PC,

Line6 Helix has the best user-friendly and fun UI, capable of running multiple amps simultaneously, and you really don't need a PC at all to edit. Still sounds great, is still getting updates and the Helix LT is an excellent lower-cost alternative to the pricier Helix, with the same tones and power, just not as much I/O.

You could likely track either one down for around $1000 USD if you keep your eyes peeled, regardless if you want a live cab you will need a separate power amp (or bring your head and use it as such by plugging into the FX loop return)

As long as you're willing to take the time to set the patches/scenes/footswitches up for the gig ahead of time, you can't lose!
                      What do you mean when you say you can only run one amp at a time?

Comment

I'm on my second modeling amp. Sold the first one only because of back issues and needing something lighter. It was a Vox AD50VT. Not as feature rich as what is out there now but got the job done and sounded great. I have another Vox, an AV30. It's a 1x10 combo that is half the weight but sounds even better. It's very much WYSIWYG interface, takes pedals well, can take a 2-button footswitch or 5-button footswitch (I have the 5), and is LOUD!!!! Like, it can keep up with a John Bonham pounding drummer loud. I've been asked to turn it down numerous times...LOL.

It's not the most expensive thing in the world and doesn't have the bells and whistles of a Helix or Fractal, but what it does, it does really well.

Comment

I’m looking to not have an actual amp anymore.
                          Or at least I’m researching that avenue.

Comment

Gotcha. The Headrush is another option in that area. I've heard some local players with it and they've all gotten really good sounds out of it. The one with the treadle is the one to look at. Street price is $999.

Comment

So what is the difference between the FM-3 and the AceFX III?
                              Is the FM-3 a more feature lite unit?
                              The Axe III has more stuff and processing power (also twice as expensive). There are limitations on what the FM3 can run, like 1 amp and 1 cab at a time, etc. They are also very different form factors.

Comment

Working...
                              X