No announcement yet.

Celestion V30 versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ehdwuld since you're in the US I'm thinking you may want to check the WGS speakers. I have a Veteran 30 paired with a Lorantz in my Laney LT212 cabinet and the sound is great, very smooth highs, plenty of mids and big bass (closed back) without being boomy or muddy. I have tinnitus so the ice pick highs are a problem to me, but the Vet 30 does a really great job at taming those highs. The flip side is, for cleans it kind of loses a bit of sparkle, but I'm mostly using Jazz & Full Shred in the neck for cleans with a bit more presence on the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post
      ehdwuld since you're in the US I'm thinking you may want to check the WGS speakers. I have a Veteran 30 paired with a Lorantz in my Laney LT212 cabinet and the sound is great, very smooth highs, plenty of mids and big bass (closed back) without being boomy or muddy. I have tinnitus so the ice pick highs are a problem to me, but the Vet 30 does a really great job at taming those highs. The flip side is, for cleans it kind of loses a bit of sparkle, but I'm mostly using Jazz & Full Shred in the neck for cleans with a bit more presence on the amp.
      I have a Vet 30 paired with an ET-65 in a 2x12. They are great speakers. I did find that they needed a break in period to settle in, but before I knew it I was loving them.

Comment

I'm real curious about all the various V30 options... one of my bands is about to buy new cabs for gigging and I want the 2 guitars to meld nicely with different emphasis in tone.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          I'm real curious about all the various V30 options... one of my bands is about to buy new cabs for gigging and I want the 2 guitars to meld nicely with different emphasis in tone.
          Depending on the musical style and amp being used, you may want to venture away from V-30 options altogether or for at least one of the setups. Front loaded vs. rear loaded also makes a difference. I myself am growing tired of the vintage 30 and greenback options in cabs.
          The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            I guess now i have to research what "doping the cone " is
            sounds like adding lhin layers of plyable material to it
            But i will have to look it up

Thanks
            Doping is the coating you can see at the outer edge of most speakers it looks kinda shiny and rubbery. Its there to dampen cone cry and and keep the cone under control at loud volumes. The reason they used a bunch when they did the original V30's is because of the fabled "pre rola" celestions. During that time for the heavy duty speaker i.e the G12H30 they were replicating, they would put a wider than normal band at the outer edges, Normally its about an inch wide and in the pre rolas its about 2 and a half and then there is also a small band around the dust cap in the center.

You can dope your own speakers, ived used it in the past to repair tears, https://www.eis-inc.com/corona-dope/p-10-4702 this is the stuff i used I was told its the same thing the manufacturers use.
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

Depending on the musical style and amp being used, you may want to venture away from V-30 options altogether or for at least one of the setups. Front loaded vs. rear loaded also makes a difference. I myself am growing tired of the vintage 30 and greenback options in cabs.
              Yeah the V30 has become so ubiquitous that the sound is kinda stale.

My favorite for a long time has been the old 80 watt celestions that came in the model 1982 marshall cabs in the 80's They now sell a 80 watt classic but not sure how they compare. For me they have the tightest lows of any that ive tried. That being said I do still have a couple cabs with V30's kicking around, well because they work. Though thinking about it neither are "traditional" cabs. 1 is a Mesa Half back that has v30's in a open compartment up top with 90 watt black shadows in the closed bottom. The other is a weirdo mesa open back cab with 1 v30 surrounded by 4 1x8's both cabs are excellent I recommend either if you dont want to venture from v30's but want something a bit different.
              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post

Yeah the V30 has become so ubiquitous that the sound is kinda stale.

My favorite for a long time has been the old 80 watt celestions that came in the model 1982 marshall cabs in the 80's They now sell a 80 watt classic but not sure how they compare. For me they have the tightest lows of any that ive tried. That being said I do still have a couple cabs with V30's kicking around, well because they work. Though thinking about it neither are "traditional" cabs. 1 is a Mesa Half back that has v30's in a open compartment up top with 90 watt black shadows in the closed bottom. The other is a weirdo mesa open back cab with 1 v30 surrounded by 4 1x8's both cabs are excellent I recommend either if you dont want to venture from v30's but want something a bit different.
                Btw, fyi the 90 watt "Black Shadow" MC-90 is pretty much the Mesa custom order version of the old UK-made g12h-80
                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

Yeah, thats definitely the plan -I wasnt clear... presently one rig is blend of 30s and Greebacks and the other is 70s right now. But they are more valuable vintage cabs that dont need to travel
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post

Btw, fyi the 90 watt "Black Shadow" MC-90 is pretty much the Mesa custom order version of the old UK-made g12h-80
                    Interesting didnt know that. Cheers

Comment

I have a Veteran 30 in a 1x12 cabinet at the moment

I also have a V30 that is lacking a cabinet
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

My favorite "Vintage 30" is the Eminence Governor. Pretty cheap, sounds great without the ice pick effect and can be bought from just about anywhere that sells speakers.

I have one paired up with an Eminence Wizard. Both are in separate cabs stacked on each other. They complement each other beautifully. Best guitar tone I have had.
                        Last edited by Dudeman7; 04-22-2021, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post
                          My favorite "Vintage 30" is the Eminence Governor. Pretty cheap, sounds great without the ice pick effect and can be bought from just about anywhere that sells speakers.

I have one paired up with an Eminence Wizard. Both are in separate cabs stacked on each other. They complement each other beautifully. Best guitar tone I have had.
                          this is the setup I am using with the Jet City Eminence and the Veteran 30
                          I have the V30 loose but I will put it some were
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                          X