Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Dilemma

Hello all Seymour Forum-ites,

I'm hoping for some input on speaker choices.

Having grown up deep in the heart of Peavey land my amp/speaker choices were mostly rather limited. I've had a couple nice Fenders (Super Reverb 410 and a little Musicmaster bass combo), a VTM back in the 80s (very underrated amplifier) a Hughes & Kettner Tube 50 with a 5150 412, a Plexi homebrew that never really turned out right that I got some nice Webers for: 2 Blue Dogs and 2 Silver Bells.

While I still have the 5150 cab and the Weber 412 I'm downgrading to either a 212 or sticking with my present 410 cabinet. Getting older is hard with 412s!

In the 410 cab I have 2 Eminence 1508s and 2 Jensen Jet Electric Lightnings. They sound good but still feel something missing. I also have a 110 cab with a 30w G10 Greenback and I really llike the way it sounds, but it's also missing some agression in the mids.

So as of the last few months I got an amp with plenty of Marshall inspired grind, but have never experienced the usual Celestions associated with Marshall grind besides the 10" Greenback.

Time's running out on being able to make equipment purchases as continuous medical concerns keep coming on with age, yet I have no idea what a Marshall sound is like through Vintage 30s or G12H30s (Anniversary or otherwise) and then now there are 10" versions of the G10 Greenbacks and G10 Vintage (30s) plus some Celestion left over stock easily found from supplying amp production (thinking Egnater) that are labeled as custom drivers yet have the moniker of G10 Vintage (1065s, elite, etc).

With Vintage 30s I always hear about an annoying upper mid spike and would hate to pirchase some and have listening fatigue every time I play. I've always loved the recorded sound of Vintage 30s but the mid spike could be EQed out at the studio quite easily.

I've always been partial to a firm, tight bass and almost all mids kind of speaker sound with just a light sheen of sizzle on top.

Am I thinking of a V30 here?
    If not a V30, what speaker is it that I might be thinking of?

Many thanks in advance....
    Last edited by Oldfart_Shredman; 05-11-2021, 11:38 PM.

i have one 2x12 cab thats had a v30 and g12h30 for as long as i can remember. its a great pairing and does the marshall thing very well. i have a 2x10 cab as well which currently has a eminence lil buddy and a jensen p10q which sounds fine but ive swapped around a few speakers in that cab. 10s dont sound typically marshally to me no matter what they are. the 10" greenback is a fun speaker but it doesnt sound like the 12". which is what i use in my old modded musicmaster bass amp actually. the webers you have are fantastic speakers but maybe not what you want for the marshall sound if they are lower power versions. what wattage is your "marshall" amp? the g12h30/v30 combo is really only good for 50w-60w depending on how hard you are running the amp

Comment

I think V30s in a closed back cab sound great. In a closed back cab, tight bass/lots of mids/a little sizzle on top is a decent description of the V30 I think.

In an open back cab it seems to overemphasize the nasal frequencies of the mid spike and I really dislike them. I think that closed back cabs cause some lower frequency reinforcement that the speaker really needs - and they seem to like slightly oversized closed back cabs more than smaller cabs.

12" greenbacks sound great too . . . but very different from a v30. They're a bit softer in the highs, slightly flubby bottom and plenty of mids . . .where the V30 is very pointed and articulate, the greenback sounds broader and less pointed.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I thought for sure the V30 would sound fatiguing to me but I love it. Mine is the Mesa version which is supposedly slid slightly to the bass, but it’s a great distorted sound. Mixing with an H30 like Jeremy mentioned seems like a good way to fill in some of the missing frequencies. I’ve also got a Greenback/H30 cab but I think I’m liking the V30s better now.

Of course for clean I like a more American voiced speaker, but the V3 with some extra sparkle can sound good. Not Fender, but still nice.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

i usually use my 2x12 (its a vibroking cab i swapped speakers in) with fender reverb amps, the v30 and g12h compliment each other very well, filling in the potential deficiencies of the other and both being equally sensitive you get equal contributions from each one as opposed to the g12h/g12m combo where you hear more of the g12h. it sounds great with marshalls or my express clone too but i tend to use it with my fenders just cause thats what i use more

Comment

Thanks everyone.

My Phaez amp/preamp is voiced like a modded 50 watt Marshall with bass lol. One channel is called the AFD after G'n'R (although it's not the Caswell SLP 1959 mod), the other is after the Silver Jubilee.

Sounds like my sonic answer lies somewhere between the V30 and the G12H30.

That little 10" Greenback is a fun speaker for sure. Practicing in stereo with a Mimiq pedal it's alot of fun just doing goofy stuff like playing the intro to Hell's Bells and listening to the virtual other guitarist.

Comment

if you dont like the V30 mid spike
              you may want the WGS Veteran 30

I have both and the Veteran 30 is loaded in the cab right now
              it sounds like the V30 but with out the mid spike
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Firm bottom and a lot of mids with a bit of sheen on top is V30. If you're scared of the mid spike (and you really shouldn't be), you could try an Eminence Governor or CV-75.

That said, take a trip to your local music store. They're bound to have a cab loaded with V30s, so you can hear for yourself.

Comment

I see alot of cabs with a V30 and a G12T75. Is that a good combination as well, or is that more for the pure metal enthusiast?

Comment

Eminence CV-75 8 ohm is the speaker you are looking for. I would also look into the Eminence DV-77 as well. Both excellent speakers.
                    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                      Eminence CV-75 8 ohm is the speaker you are looking for. I would also look into the Eminence DV-77 as well. Both excellent speakers.
                      Last I heard, the DV-77 still wasn't available for people who aren't sponsored Eminence endorsers.

@oldfart -- the V30/T75 combo is more of a metal rhythm guitar thing. It works nicely for rhythm tones on a 6505 or Dual Rectifier sounding amp, but I wouldn't go for it with a Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
                        Last I heard, the DV-77 still wasn't available for people who aren't sponsored Eminence endorsers.

@oldfart -- the V30/T75 combo is more of a metal rhythm guitar thing. It works nicely for rhythm tones on a 6505 or Dual Rectifier sounding amp, but I wouldn't go for it with a Marshall.
                        Why not? Too much upper mid?

Comment

you can get a monoprice 1x12 cab with a v30 for $199
                          try that

if you dont like it return it
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post

Why not? Too much upper mid?
                            The T-75 is super-harsh on the top. The scooped mids with a ton of bottom and a super-aggressive top pair nicely with the V30 for a lot of scoopy metal tones (the V30 lets you cut through the mix, the T-75 provides the aggression and chug), but I wouldn't want that combination for... well, basically anything else. Even the scoopy metal guys are mostly going V30+K100 now instead of V30+T-75, and for good reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia-peT3TfNI -- Marshall through a T-75 vs Marshall through a V30. The T-75 is all fizz and boomy bottom. It's something you might want for exactly one sound, and if you're going for that sound, you probably have a 6505 or Recto.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post

The T-75 is super-harsh on the top. The scooped mids with a ton of bottom and a super-aggressive top pair nicely with the V30 for a lot of scoopy metal tones (the V30 lets you cut through the mix, the T-75 provides the aggression and chug), but I wouldn't want that combination for... well, basically anything else. Even the scoopy metal guys are mostly going V30+K100 now instead of V30+T-75, and for good reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia-peT3TfNI -- Marshall through a T-75 vs Marshall through a V30. The T-75 is all fizz and boomy bottom. It's something you might want for exactly one sound, and if you're going for that sound, you probably have a 6505 or Recto.
                              Right, got it. In my 2x12 I now have a WGS Vet30 paired with a Lorantz, which is an Australian made Greenback clone and the cab sound great driven by my DSL40CR for crunch and high gain. Tight bass, plenty of mids and slightly rolled off top end. It doesn't have the sparkling clean high end, but the highs still sound very nice and there's no fizz at all. I find the Vet30 complements the Marshall sound very well, could be another option.
                              G12H30 Anniversary can sound pretty harsh, apparently they need to be well broken in before the harshness disappears.
                              Last edited by AdrianSD; 05-14-2021, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X