banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well $%$# PRS just released the new Archon V2 line!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Well $%$# PRS just released the new Archon V2 line!

    Street price for the 50 retail is $999 down from the $1850 retail my US amp was. Released info and demos today and am speechless. What I heard was NOT inspiring the amp seems to have lost that 3 D tonal quality mine has sounding more like a higher powered MT 15. Also the 100 watt head is no more and they are now imports not hand wired US built amps.
    https://prsguitars.com/amplifier/archon_50w_head
    This fiasco is NOT the amp I own!!!!
    Last edited by Ascension; 05-13-2021, 07:19 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

  • #2
    For reference this is the original Archon 50 like the one I own. Very different amp from this new thing!

     
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

    Comment


    • #3
      Triggered?

      They were great while they lasted. Glad I have mine. Maybe the MT-100 will replace the Archon 100? I sure hope so.
      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

      Comment


      • #4
        Made in Indonesia?

        These should be called the "Archon SE" line!

        Comment


        • #5
          ^^
          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bogner View Post
            Triggered?

            They were great while they lasted. Glad I have mine. Maybe the MT-100 will replace the Archon 100? I sure hope so.
            Have no issue with PRS introducing a new import amp. The New V2 Archon may well be a cool amp but it's NOT a real Archon!! Just introduce it as the SE Version of the Archon and we are fine. What they did just destroyed the value of my amp for one the new import Archon line will retail for about $400 less than the going price of a used Archon 50 like mine so they just nuked the resale value of my amp should I choose to sell it (for the record have absolutely no intention of selling mine).
            Bet money that the new one is a PC board amp and at half the retail price of the old Archon 50 they are cutting corners in quality they have to be!
            The MT 15 is selling like crazy so doing this amp makes business sense for PRS just name it something other than a Archon V 2 is my thing and don't kill the legacy and reputation of amps like mine!!
            I put the real Archon in the same category of a Soldana SLO and yes have spent time with a few real SLO's. Yes the real Archon is that good!
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
              Made in Indonesia?

              These should be called the "Archon SE" line!
              AGREED! Keep at the least the real US Archon 100 as the premium amp and offer the new one as the SE version this i can agree to. In reality this is the Sonsera version of the Archon.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                Triggered?

                They were great while they lasted. Glad I have mine. Maybe the MT-100 will replace the Archon 100? I sure hope so.
                Never have asked do you have a 100 or a 50?
                The "new" Archon 50 is pretty much a MT 50 from the sound of it I have heard in the demos. Cool amp but looses that openness and amazing 3 d tonal depth of the real Archon. Having both a MT 15 and the Archon and running them both on the same cab back to back I know the difference.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Wait, I thought you loved your MT-15 (sorry if I haven't totally kept up). So, it doesn't sound as good as your MIA Archon?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ascension View Post

                    Never have asked do you have a 100 or a 50?
                    The "new" Archon 50 is pretty much a MT 50 from the sound of it I have heard in the demos. Cool amp but looses that openness and amazing 3 d tonal depth of the real Archon. Having both a MT 15 and the Archon and running them both on the same cab back to back I know the difference.
                    I have the MT-15, Archon 50 and Archon 100. All three are wonderful amps with my favorite being the Archon 100 overall. I personally don't expect the MT-15 to be in alignment with the Archon but I will say pound for pound, bang for the buck, the MT-15 is tough to beat for the money and a beautiful clean and a very high Gain channel in one box. Same being said on the Archon. Before this plandemic the Archon was very soft on the used market. I haven't heard a really good video of the Archon V2 yet but regardless, I can tell the amp is not like the original Archons. How could they be for the money? The MT-100 is coming so it possibly may have switched places with the Archon.....meaning the Archon is now the SE of PRS and the new MT series is the core lineup. Mark has done well for PRS, better than any other artist overall (amps, guitars, pickups) they have signed so I wouldn't be surprised if Paul gave him the crown for the amp line since Mark is a professed amp freak. I wouldn't expect Mark would be down for an import amp to tour with even though I know he is very price conscious in making stuff for the average player to afford and get hold of easily. I guess time will tell. I do look forward to the MT-100 being released though. I also wouldn't doubt if some of the Archon (original) DNA is not sprinkled throughout the MT-100.

                    Regarding the Archon build quality being as good or better than Soldano SLO 100.....I would lean towards Soldano on that one. Both amps are made well though.
                    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Sounds like these are the amps they used to call their SE line (Asia contract built)
                      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                        What they did just destroyed the value of my amp for one the new import Archon line will retail for about $400 less than the going price of a used Archon 50 like mine so they just nuked the resale value of my amp should I choose to sell it (for the record have absolutely no intention of selling mine).
                        The Used Values won't be hurt any. People will be well aware of what prices are for each amp. You could buy a new 50 watt amp (full retail) for $1500 and the 100 watt Archon was full retailed at $2200. It wasn't initially uncommon to get a used 100 watt head used for under a grand or thereabouts at one time.
                        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          Wait, I thought you loved your MT-15 (sorry if I haven't totally kept up). So, it doesn't sound as good as your MIA Archon?
                          At a GRAND more the PTP Archon should sound better! That doesn't make the little MT 15 a bad amp just the Archon better. Plan to keep both as the MT 15 is more aggressive and raw while the Archon is more open and sophisticated in its tone. The Archo has a quality in the tone that nothing else I have played quite has it has a very unique character. If I had to choose just one it would be the Archon n doubt but make no mistake the MT 15 is no joke ether!
                          Guitars
                          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bogner View Post

                            I have the MT-15, Archon 50 and Archon 100. All three are wonderful amps with my favorite being the Archon 100 overall. I personally don't expect the MT-15 to be in alignment with the Archon but I will say pound for pound, bang for the buck, the MT-15 is tough to beat for the money and a beautiful clean and a very high Gain channel in one box. Same being said on the Archon. Before this plandemic the Archon was very soft on the used market. I haven't heard a really good video of the Archon V2 yet but regardless, I can tell the amp is not like the original Archons. How could they be for the money? The MT-100 is coming so it possibly may have switched places with the Archon.....meaning the Archon is now the SE of PRS and the new MT series is the core lineup. Mark has done well for PRS, better than any other artist overall (amps, guitars, pickups) they have signed so I wouldn't be surprised if Paul gave him the crown for the amp line since Mark is a professed amp freak. I wouldn't expect Mark would be down for an import amp to tour with even though I know he is very price conscious in making stuff for the average player to afford and get hold of easily. I guess time will tell. I do look forward to the MT-100 being released though. I also wouldn't doubt if some of the Archon (original) DNA is not sprinkled throughout the MT-100.

                            Regarding the Archon build quality being as good or better than Soldano SLO 100.....I would lean towards Soldano on that one. Both amps are made well though.
                            Whats your take on the Archon 100 vs the 50 heads since you have both? Have thought about selling the MT 15 to help fund a 100 head. That extra bottom and headroom would be appealing if it responds like the Marshalls do between the 100 and the 50.
                            What you are talking on the MT 100 and it being a US flagship amp does make sense. Just wish they would have done a SE Archon 50 like they the guitars with the Core and the SE Tremonti guitars.
                            Guitars
                            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It is hard for me to make a judgement listening to YouTube videos, which don't come close to replicating the sound of the amp in the room. Not many amps sound good to me that way.
                              Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X