X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackstar HT-5R vs Fender 68 Vibro Champ Reverb

Which one and why?

Fender

Why?: It's a better amp in the long run.

The Blackstar does have solid-state parts in it which is no big deal, but it will be more prone to failure over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
      Fender

Why?: It's a better amp in the long run.

The Blackstar does have solid-state parts in it which is no big deal, but it will be more prone to failure over time.
      Please explain how solid state is more prone to failure.

EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I have the same question.

As far as chosing which amp, 2 different little beasts, pick the one that gives you the tones you are looking for. Either will last fine if you take proper care of it.
        Last edited by devastone; 07-19-2021, 04:45 PM.

Comment

those are both pc board amps, yes? id have to plug into each of them and actually hear what it sounds like before making the choice. id lean fender but thats just i usually use old fender amps, which this isnt so...

Comment

For me, the Blackstar would get more variety in tone, and I really dig the XLR out for performing. While I love Fender amps, I would love them more if they modernize some of their designs with usable master volumes and XLR direct outs.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

Please explain how solid state is more prone to failure.

Let's look at it from a parts count point of view. The more parts you have, the less reliable over time it will be. One part which relies on another part, which relies on yet another part has one failure, and no worky... The more of these co-dependent parts there are, the higher the probability of failure. Also, consider that there are now that many more parts that can fail.

Now let's look at the difference in robustness of the different design types. If one amp has 5 transistors, and two or three IC chips, there are now that many more resistors, diodes, and capacitors to integrate all of them. Looking at the more old school Fender design, it has tubes, resistors, and very few if any other supporting electronics to make it work. Tubes are very reliable, and much easier to swap, troubleshoot or replace. Resistors are expendable and the fewer there are, the easier it is to troubleshoot. and then there is the actual troubleshooting of the two amp if one does break. IC's, and transistors ( especially if there are many of them ) are not as easy to troubleshoot and in some cases not easy to replace. There are more of them too, oftentimes.

Solid state amps have more parts and use more run-of-the-mill parts. Heck, many of these newer SS amps use SMT technology. What is wrong with SMT you ask? Nothing....Until it breaks. A real tube amp is less likely to be miniaturized and will be MUCH easier to fix if it does break. They are often more robust just from the design alone. Perhaps using the word " prone " was a little harsh, but truthfully, over time, it will be more prone to fail. There are more parts, often less robust, and if it does make it 20-30 years, will you be able to find the replacement IC or transistor that was used?

Comment

Uhm, yeah, I would buy the amp that fits your needs best, either will most likely last longer than you need. The old electrolytic capacitors in vintage tube amps (which weren't mentioned) fail with age, so I'm not buying "tube amps work longer than SS amps". The Blackstars are tube with SS support (for lack of a better way to put it) and the Fender is a new RI, both are PCB amps and will probably last a long time and only need tube replacements, caps and other components have improved a lot since the 50s/60s/70s. As far as SMT components, you might want to consider giving up driving and flying if you are that concerned about them failing, they are used everywhere now.

Comment

I would think the Fender may sound more bright american
                  and the Blackstar may have a more midrange British sound

of course the blackstar probably has that voicing knob that lets you choose between the two tone stacks

oh and Ewizard
                  I would think your analogy is similar to saying a longer stick is more prone to breaking than a shorter stick
                  but that only becomes true with age
                  old sticks break much easier than fresh green sticks or roasted sticks

you are welcome to your opinion
                  I do not share it
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Who buys a new amp thinking about having to fix it?

Comment

I guess I don't buy or build amps with the intention of it being expendable or in need of repair prematurely, before any ROI is made back, or simply because I don't care if it makes it through two gigs. I buy and build amps I and others want to keep. I buy them because I like them, so I want them to stay around for a while. I build them to last 30+ years without any major servicing.

I don't buy an amp thinking about having to fix it, because if I have to worry about fixing it I don't want to buy it. I buy investments, not toys. It doesn't matter if a Peavey XXX will be worth twice what it was when I bought it, what does matter is that I have never had to fix the amp and it is now close to 30 years of age. It will need repair at some point, but in nearly 30 years, it has only required tube replacements.

As to which type of design will last longer? it's a crap shot. Anything with SMT is not something that I am interested in. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong PCB designs. BUUUUUTTTTT is not as robust, does not do well with modifying or regular repair, among other things. If a PCB board gets too hot ( which it can over time ) it will start to burn. This burned phenolic material, believe it or not, can become conductive and it will start to cause issues with traces that are nearby the burn spot. A well-designed PCB and layout will reduce this risk, making for a longer-lasting device. Fender is not known for having the best-designed PCB boards, but I would trust the Fender stuff over the Blackstar crap any day of the week. I have seen more failed Blackstar amps than I have Fender amps.

That said, Blackstar does make cool amps, they sound decent, but they are not lifetime amps. I want to buy and make amps that last a lifetime. I don't buy amps that are expendable.

Comment

Working...
                      X