No announcement yet.

And The Award For The World's Crappiest 12AX7/ECC83s Goes To:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know we've been talking about preamp tubes, but gotta add I love those ("new") EHX 6CA7s for an EL-34 power tube.

Comment

JJ's are really good to tame a bright amp. They're also extremely durable in combos. So far they're the only tubes not to go microphonic and rattly on me.
      -
      My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Aren't those older mesa russian#2 the sovtecs? I'm not sure which kind of sovtecs they are, but they really suck for reliability, even in non cathode-follower slots.

For my Multi-Watt Triple I have a set of Doug's hi-gainers in the preamp. I can't remember the brand mix off hand, but those along with a set of Mesa str-445(JJ6L6gc) have really taken the amp much closer to where I was hoping to go, which is in the fuller/smoother/richer direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
          JJ's are really good to tame a bright amp. They're also extremely durable in combos. So far they're the only tubes not to go microphonic and rattly on me.
          I'll add to the chorus of people who say that JJs are kinda dark. At least the ones that I've tried. I like them for distorted sounds, but not for cleans. I have some old RCA tubes that I've been using for cleans which are quite nice.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I'll add to the chorus of people who say that JJs are kinda dark. At least the ones that I've tried. I like them for distorted sounds, but not for cleans. I have some old RCA tubes that I've been using for cleans which are quite nice.
            I have a bunch of long black and short grey RCA’s and all of them are very, very good and musical tubes. The RCA are probably my favorite widely available at a decent price NOS tube.

Comment

JJ : J-ust J-unk

Comment

One man's junk..

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

The JJECC83s are darker tubes, but hardly the bottom of the barrel. The JJ ECC803s is a nice tube and more open sounding. THe JJ 5751 is a really nice tube, lower gain (70 vs 100) than a 12AX7, but in today's high gain circuits that is often a good thing, definitely can open up a compressed high gain amp/preamp.

Comment

Many like the tung-sol RI in V1 and/or V2. Isn't it made by Sovtec, or made with the same equipment?

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                      Sovtek 12AX7WAs.

In the early 2k's, I bought 3 each of the current manufactured 12AX7/ECC83s for tone testing in my Plexi.

I still have them all (Sovtek LPS too, JJ, EI Gold etc).

I was thinking about my little tube stash and was remembering how awful those Sovtek 12AX7WAs sounded - bright and screechy yet somehow a total lack of detail.
                      I used to roll tubes. I don't think Sovtek tubes are bad, just THOSE tubes sucked.

The secret to good tubes is not brand per se, but if the tubes are graded. I buy Groove Tubes now because I reasonably know what I'm getting. I want a tube with highest output and presence. Their ECC83 Gold/Platinum/Whatever has never disappointed me. Buy those, and swap with any stock tube and you will get a little "extra".

Comment

Working...
                      X