Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Rappers. :P
    Speaking of - didn't a whole bunch of people get killed recently at a big concert?

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

Does anyone do that anymore?
      K-POP groups mostly.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

i love a cranked amp tone but i loathe hauling gear so i have a bunch of amps, from 8w to 85w. usually the 20w deluxe suits well enough but should i need other things, i have plenty of toys. ive done the amp->load box->amp->speakers thing and it works great but there is no way im dealing with that on every gig

Comment

Speaking of - didn't a whole bunch of people get killed recently at a big concert?
          Probably. Couldn't have happened at a rock concert of course . . . people that age are usually pretty careful about damaging their fragile hips and getting home in time for Matlock.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I wanted to be able to get cranked tube amp tone without the neighbors complaining.
            No neighbors, no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

No neighbors, no problems.
              Sharp knives, duct tape, and several rolls of dark plastic should fix the issue. And reduce food costs for a few months.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

Where have you been?
                Picking out a nice chianti . . .

Comment

If I’m reading the OP correct, are you saying that you are happy with what you are hearing from the amp at both soft and loud volumes, but the recorded playback from the loud isn’t good?

sounds like a different mic placement could solve the problem. And I apologize if I’m talking down like you haven’t tried that already.

Comment

Originally posted by pskorz View Post
                    If I’m reading the OP correct, are you saying that you are happy with what you are hearing from the amp at both soft and loud volumes, but the recorded playback from the loud isn’t good?

sounds like a different mic placement could solve the problem. And I apologize if I’m talking down like you haven’t tried that already.

Not quite that. I can use the same mic setup at high volumes and get great sounds - but it requires very different EQing for both channels of my amp.

I do most of my writing and practice at home in my basement at low volumes - and am regularly playing around with the amp settings to find different tones. But the tone at low volume doesn't translate into the same tone at higher volume. I'd love a way to be able to keep the sound consistent so that the low volume while practice tones could be replicated exactly at higher volume while playing out without needing to spend the five or ten minutes figuring out where to set the dials to approximate it.

Comment

Not quite that. I can use the same mic setup at high volumes and get great sounds - but it requires very different EQing for both channels of my amp.

I do most of my writing and practice at home in my basement at low volumes - and am regularly playing around with the amp settings to find different tones. But the tone at low volume doesn't translate into the same tone at higher volume. I'd love a way to be able to keep the sound consistent so that the low volume while practice tones could be replicated exactly at higher volume while playing out without needing to spend the five or ten minutes figuring out where to set the dials to approximate it.
                      You know that this is all related to how humans perceive sound. Are you certain that 15' in front of the cabinet at high volume, that it doesn't sound significantly different from 3' at a low volume? Especially taking room size and environment into consideration.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        You know that this is all related to how humans perceive sound. Are you certain that 15' in front of the cabinet at high volume, that it doesn't sound significantly different from 3' at a low volume? Especially taking room size and environment into consideration.

No, like I mentioned in the first post this doesn't have to do with the Fletcher-Munson curve. If I record the same way with the same settings at high and low volumes and then play them back with volume equalized they sound very different. The amp sounds different at high volume.

Comment

My answer..... Two Notes Captor X. Best $600 I have ever spent on my volume and speaker needs problems. I'm not kidding, it is that good, and the price is not horrid. Forget about a speaker cab at all, you can go direct to the PA, your monitor, use a power amp into a speaker cab if you want, whatever, it is the fix you need.

Comment

No, like I mentioned in the first post this doesn't have to do with the Fletcher-Munson curve. If I record the same way with the same settings at high and low volumes and then play them back with volume equalized they sound very different. The amp sounds different at high volume.
                            Ok, I just wanted to make sure. But one more question, if you don't mind: when you record at different volumes, do you back off the mic several feet when you record loud?

Comment

Short of loadbox/IRs/power amp/FR monitors, a good attenuator might be a decent interim solution.
                              Not perfect, but it should bring your softer vs loud tones a lot closer together than they are now.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                                Ok, I just wanted to make sure. But one more question, if you don't mind: when you record at different volumes, do you back off the mic several feet when you record loud?
                                Nope. Backing the mic off the cab (or moving the mic to a different position) changes the sound a whole bunch.

Comment

Working...
                                X