No announcement yet.

Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. M+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks very cool if you have a great preamp but I don't any more. Without the reactive load however you can't use it for silent tracking or silent stage with a real amp. Now add something like a $250 Neunaber Neuron pre to a pedal board and that would be very very cool as a grab and go silent stage rig!

Last edited by Ascension; 02-08-2022, 04:52 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

Sweeeeeet! I really like the idea of not being stuck with factory presets and the addition of a preamp with the M+ update together with all the positive info from you guys it sounds like the fire is already lit to burn the next batch of cash...

I really don't like the sound the guy settles on in the video, but he clearly shows what the Torpedo does to it and it sounds prrrrretty good!
      Cool - and Michael is somewhat of an 80's tone fan so that explains that (80's tone wise, it's a killer tone).

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
        Looks very cool if you have a great preamp but I don't any more. Without the reactive load however you can't use it for silent tracking or silent stage with a real amp. Now add something like a $250 Neunaber Neuron pre to a pedal board and that would be very very cool as a grab and go silent stage rig!
        The latest update, which makes the Torpedo M into M+ does have a preamp too. A very clean one, modelled after a Bassman I believe.

But that green Strat sounded awesome!

Comment

Is it the best thing since sliced bread?

Seriously though:
          Are the emulaions really that spot on as advertised?
          The M+ (the version I'm interested in) has a supposedly super clean preamp emulation. Is that really true?
          What about noise? I read some comments where the guy had tremendous noise issues with it and/or had problem using the boost switch. Any issues with that on your side? (The guy might've been a jagoff, I'd be surprised to learn that the unit has such issues...)
          I am interested in the home recording use... Any latency related observations?
          I am fairly familiar with the Neural DSP stuff. How do you think the quality of sound and emulation of the Torpedo stacks up against the Neural plugins?
          Would I be right to think that this is basically an advanced high quality outboard plugin?
          I also read about the noise issue when I was going to get it. Not sure what it could be in that case but it may have been poor gain staging, leaving the the aux in on when not plugged in or maybe they were not used to using in ears (since you may hear things more). I don’t have problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post

I also read about the noise issue when I was going to get it. Not sure what it could be in that case but it may have been poor gain staging, leaving the the aux in on when not plugged in or maybe they were not used to using in ears (since you may hear things more). I don’t have problems.
            Relieved to hear that, would've been bummed to learn of such issues. It could've been the "usual" sources of noise too, like single coil hum, grounding issue, power source. I guess no unit is immune to any of those...

Comment

I should fiddle with the preamp... even run an od or dist in front. Guitar straight in.

When I got mine, the "+" version did not exist - the "+" version came later in a free firmware update.

And the reason I got mine was for the speaker iR mic'ing stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

What do you want to know?
                Does it have presets? Is there a way to midi switch it so you can change settings live?

Comment

I am fairly familiar with the Neural DSP stuff. How do you think the quality of sound and emulation of the Torpedo stacks up against the Neural plugins?

That video above of the ADA MP1 with the Torpedo sounds more realistic than anything Ive heard from Neural.

Im kinda thinking that while modeling is amazing, using Amp sims/IRs with real tube preamps has really arrived. I mean it plays feels sounds exactly like a real amp in a recording studio.

Having owned a couple MP1s in the past, I haven't yet heard a Fractal emulation that sounds as real as the real MP1 + Torpedo.
                  Last edited by Top-L; 02-09-2022, 08:29 PM.

Comment

So you're saying a hybrid, tube front end into modeling sounds authentic?
                    How about the reverse? Modeling into tube?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

Does it have presets? Is there a way to midi switch it so you can change settings live?
                      Yes, but I don't exactly remember how many max - I have some in the 90 count (preset 90, 91, 92 etc).

Also, there's a finite amount of memory - you can have 32 of the official Two Notes DyniR max.

It has a small microSD card (256MB) - I upped that to 32GB, but that's only for storing your iRs, not your patches... i.e. you're making a new patch at a gig, you can pull from your own library on the microSD.

You can MIDI switch on the older CAB (rectangular model), which is no longer made.
                      Last edited by LLL; 02-09-2022, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

Yes, but I don't exactly remember how many max - I have some in the 90 count (preset 90, 91, 92 etc).

Also, there's a finite amount of memory - you can have 32 of the official Two Notes DyniR max.

It has a small microSD card (256MB) - I upped that to 32GB, but that's only for storing your iRs, not your patches... i.e. you're making a new patch at a gig, you can pull from your own library on the microSD.

You can MIDI switch on the older CAB (rectangular model), which is no longer made.
                        So the memory card is accessible by the user and can be changed? That's cool!

One more question popped up... When recording and going into the interface, does one run the Torpedo's signal into the higher impedance instrument input?

Comment

So the memory card is accessible by the user and can be changed? That's cool!

One more question popped up... When recording and going into the interface, does one run the Torpedo's signal into the higher impedance instrument input?
                          It has a balanced XLR out. Use that if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

It has a balanced XLR out. Use that if you can.
                            Yeah, that was the plan. But I can switch on the Clarett 2Pre the impedance at the input to accomodate instrument level or line level signals, so the question was aimed at that.

Comment

Yeah, that was the plan. But I can switch on the Clarett 2Pre the impedance at the input to accomodate instrument level or line level signals, so the question was aimed at that.
                              The 1/4" out is line level so set it to that if you use it.

Comment

I have the Torpedo Captor X!!! I love it... So much that I want to get the Cab-M+. I would have already if I hadn't already spent a small fortune on other pedals and stuff. I bought the Captor X because I couldn't test the amps I build at full volume where I live without having the neighborhood amass in front of my door. It was so good that I almost use it exclusively now.

The reason I want the CAB-M is because I want as portable a setup as I can for live playing and figured if the CAB-M tracked as well as the Captor X, it would make an amazing tool to reference against. More or less it allows me to expand into pedal design and I can see how they perform with a real amp, the CAB-M, and in conjunction with the Captor X.

If the CAB-M is anything close to the Captor X in terms of sounds quality, GET IT!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X